Thumbmaster's Maps

Started by thumbmaster, January 19, 2015, 02:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumbmaster

We just finished putting together our very first PAC map but ran into a snag with all the scripting. I followed all the instructions on the PAC thread as well as the READ ME file and started off with Hubs' template. After everything is done, it does not load as a PAC map. I kept digging into it and can't figure out where it went wrong.   :-[

Can someone take a look to help me troubleshoot this? Thanks!  ;D

Here's what this map started out as:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4ve5j9951vep3k/Zesi.jpeg?dl=0
Twas a sad day when we mothballed Creeper World for Particle Fleet.

thumbmaster

This is a standard slog map. He's quite proud of it because it kinda forces you to use guppies to attack the Eastern island. Let us know what you think before we finalize it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9986tushi0h6axx/Void.jpeg?dl=0

Linden

I loved that slog map, thumbmaster! Well done, both of you. :)

I'm sorry I can't help with your techie problem though - we need to post in the PACcers' threads and get them to come over here. :D Haha! Good luck. :)

Linden

Quote from: Linden on January 20, 2015, 12:55:03 PM

I'm sorry I can't help with your techie problem though - we need to post in the PACcers' threads and get them to come over here. :D Haha! Good luck. :)

Edit: oh sorry, feedback on the slog: it wasn't too difficult, I think (and if I say that, it means everyone else will think it's a walk in the park), so maybe you could up the difficulty level, eg at the starting point? Something like that?

Hubs

I still visit from time to time :)

I'll try to take a look at the map tomorrow...haven't had much free time lately.

Linden

Quote from: Hubs on January 20, 2015, 12:57:16 PM

I'll try to take a look at the map tomorrow...haven't had much free time lately.

Eep sorry, Hubs, I wasn't meaning to put pressure on you - I'm just dying to play TM's PAC map, to see what they come up with.  :-[

thumbmaster

Quote from: Linden on January 20, 2015, 12:56:45 PM
Quote from: Linden on January 20, 2015, 12:55:03 PM

Edit: oh sorry, feedback on the slog: it wasn't too difficult, I think (and if I say that, it means everyone else will think it's a walk in the park), so maybe you could up the difficulty level, eg at the starting point? Something like that?

Thanks, Linden, glad you like it! I really want to make it a bit more challenging at the start, e.g., putting an emitter closer to the start area, etc., but the little dude gets very upset whenever I try that. He is still at the age where "all the good guys must win".  ;)  Just to give you an idea, we had to leave the theater when Vitruious "died" in the Lego Movie. But he's adjusting after we watched Star Wars (episode IV). The destruction of Alderaan still bothers him a great deal. But I digress.

I shared your comments with him and he agreed to let me make it a bit harder. We'll slog through it then upload it some time this week.

Quote from: Hubs on January 20, 2015, 12:57:16 PM

Thanks, Hubs! I thought we did everything "by the book" but it wouldn't work for us. He was super excited about his first PAC map and has been asking me every hour if anyone has come to our aid. I gotta spend some time to brush up on this stuff.  8)

Hubs

Ok...tested your map and found the following issues:

Not sure what you started your map with, but it had all old scripts from the original PAC maps. They work, but you have to go through a specific sequence to convert it to a PAC map. I replaced all the scripts with the most up to date scripts from the template.

Also the emitters were from the old PAC version and the new scripts don't work with them the way they used to, so I removed and replaced them using the U key.

The updated file is attached. You should be able to play it as a PAC map now. Just click the text at the top of the map, then ok on the popup to convert it. Remember to make a backup of the map first!

As far as a review of the map, I couldn't get started at all. I tried fully supporting each emitter on regular and burst mode and could get more than a few cells with digitalis. All of the emitters have too much fire power on them to progress.

I like the center setup a lot because building the wall actually helps by blocking line of sight. I was able to get a tiny bit further after the wall finished building, but then the PZd berthas were firing so fast I couldn't make progress.

I would recommend going down to 1 or 2 berthas - maybe not on PZs too. For the starting emitters you'll have to tone down Abraxis with less PZd units.

Also in looking at the rest of the map, you have so many PZd beams that it's going to be super difficult to use spores to get to the other islands. There are still ways (digitalis removal trick) but I don't think a lot of players will think to do that.

Overall I think the map looks pretty cool and will be really fun to play. Tell your son good job on the design :). Just play through it a few times and get the balance where you want it. I can test again once you make changes.

thumbmaster

Thanks, Hubs!

I don't know how the template got messed up. I downloaded your latest template file from the PAC thread and based the map off of it. I did notice that the text on top of the map disappeared at some point when we were editing the map. Ghost in my machine?!  :o

I suspected this map would be too tough. Originally he had all 4 berthas ready from the get-go. I talked him into having 2 of them just getting started to build. But being on PZs certainly overpowers them. We will tweak this map quite a bit. It will be a treat in itself.

Thanks again! We still have much to learn.

thumbmaster

Ok I *THINK* I know what the issue was. After I downloaded the fixed template from you, it was still not working. So I investigated a little and decided to delete the scripts folder. That fixed it!

We spent all evening testing and tweaking the map. As you said, it was WAY too hard with all those PZ berthas and crazy amount of cannons and mortars. So we cut back a little and made more mods. I was able to beat it but now we felt we may have nerfed it a bit too much. More tweaking tomorrow. Mapmaking is extreme fun!

Thanks again!   ;D

Hubs

That makes sense. When you edit a map i think it loads whatever is in the scripts folder. So if you put a cw3 file in your folder it will replace all the scripts in the file with whatever is in your scripts folder.

thumbmaster

Here's an updated version of the PAC map. It's probably the easiest one you've ever seen. I did it in under 40 minutes.  :P
Let me know if this is ready for general consumption. The little guy can't wait to share it with the world.

Linden

I know I'm probably being a dork again (sorry), but the controls on your PAC map seem to be the normal ones, not Digi, Emitter etc? I went through the normal procedure (ie download, open via Load File) so I don't know what I've done.

However, it looks AMAZING! :D

Hubs

I haven't played it yet, but he may have uploaded the map in the 'edit' mode. You can easily convert it by clicking the help text above the map.

Linden

Oh! Thank you, Hubs - I wouldn't have guessed that. I've just done it. :) I thought all that script was for the author.