Planetfall's Maps

Started by planetfall, November 26, 2014, 10:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planetfall

Bandwagon.jumpOn()

This thread is for testing unreleased maps.

So... here is series map #15. There have been some major UI additions since the last map and, notably, the removal of the DisplayHelp script. (Well, it's still in the map, but not attached to any cores.) I didn't like the way it worked but I'm not sure what to replace it with. Suggestions are welcome.

It does have a few minor bugs (both script-wise and map-wise) that I only just discovered while trying to play it, but I want to get people's opinions on the difficulty, balance, fun factor etc. as it currently stands.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

planetfall

K, this version should clear up all the bugs (that I know of) and improve performance slightly.
Edit: reduced the max strength of some emitters (for being upgraded by the C-Forge) and moved a few shrines around.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

planetfall

Very odd. The corrupted forge will sometimes delete siphoned energy packs when it activates. But only if they are partially filled, and it seems it won't happen with the first upgrade. Very confusing. The corrupted forge doesn't even have anything in its script that interacts with resource packs except to create an aether reward on death.

When it happens, a "siphon depleted" notice appears, so presumably the pack's amount is being set to zero rather than it being destroyed directly. (BTW, I tested exactly what happens when you do call destroy on a resourcepack with a siphon on it -- the game throws a bunch of NullReferenceExceptions and the game loop is broken from that point forward.)

The game log file contains a bunch of divide by zero errors in CRPL cores, but enabling the trace log on all CRPL cores shows nothing.

planetfall

Aight, I think I fixed it. Missing a GetScriptVar in the shield drone script. No idea how the one thing was affecting the other, but it was. Also I changed the character images and shields a bit. Last update until feedback, I promise.

teknotiss

Quote from: planetfall on November 29, 2014, 05:32:47 PM
Last update until feedback, I promise.

lol, good dude! cos i was going to say something, but you posted two new versions before i could ::)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

planetfall

Quote from: teknotiss on November 30, 2014, 01:38:17 PM

lol, good dude! cos i was going to say something, but you posted two new versions before i could ::)

Please, do tell! I didn't really change that much, just minor tweaks and fixes.

teknotiss

Quote from: planetfall on November 30, 2014, 09:27:25 PM

ok well first i haven't completed it, yet.
the text script is pretty good, but i play windowed, and the next button is half missing with my window at about half of a 1920x1080 screen, prob be worse for smaller screen users. some of the text is lost too.
i had a few restarts but i'm not up to speed on your scripted units so although the new one was clearly explained (after i went fullscreen ::)), i felt a bit adrift.
but it all seems to work ok, for the end game someone else might be better suited to answer since it'll take me a while to get there. not much game time right now unfortunately
hope that helps a bit 8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

planetfall

Quote from: teknotiss on December 01, 2014, 07:06:40 PM
Quote from: planetfall on November 30, 2014, 09:27:25 PM

ok well first i haven't completed it, yet.
the text script is pretty good, but i play windowed, and the next button is half missing with my window at about half of a 1920x1080 screen, prob be worse for smaller screen users. some of the text is lost too.
i had a few restarts but i'm not up to speed on your scripted units so although the new one was clearly explained (after i went fullscreen ::)), i felt a bit adrift.
but it all seems to work ok, for the end game someone else might be better suited to answer since it'll take me a while to get there. not much game time right now unfortunately
hope that helps a bit 8)

That will be a little annoying to change, since the line breaks in the text are done manually, but it won't take too long to fit the text into a smaller box. I'll also make the interface elements rearrange to fit if the screen is smaller than a certain size.

Edit: and the script change is done! Everything fits on even the smallest preset resolution. I also moved the text itself to the top of the screen even when there's room at the bottom, partially for familiarity's sake, and partially to remove the restriction on the other menus being open at the same time.

planetfall

K, I did that, fiddled with a few other things, and added some help topics to the Archive button. They use unit graphics in place of character images so you can quickly get to the thing that you don't know. The Tips section will contain actual tips and not be useless in the final version. The ThisMap section contains information about the specifics of how the custom enemies are set up. If anyone can come up with a better name for the ThisMap section (that still fits on the box) or a map title, that would be appreciated -- I'm at a bit of a loss.

Edit: whoops, some slight problems...  ::) at least the help all works ::)

Edit 2: All right, that should fix it.