Chronicles of Chernobyl - I am looking for testers

Started by Tyler21, March 25, 2015, 03:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler21

UPDATE: there is a new version (v2) of the tutorial attached to my original post, including a changelog.

Yes, the invisible fog cores caused the digitalis bug, I fixed this in the latest update (v2).
I have never experienced the radio tower bug you just described, but I will have a look on that part of the script...

Going to dangerous places during exploration is intentional, I wanted the players to keep an eye on their scientists while exploring. Otherwise, if there was absolutely no risk in exploring, research point generation would be far too easy. But the player can always send the scientists to a very safe location and start exploring there.
"Enjoyment appears at the boundary between boredom and anxiety, when the challenges are just balanced with the person's capacity to act."
― Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Check my collection of the 30 most difficult and challenging maps in Colonial Space!

thegamemaster1234

Very cool minigame sorta thing, the immense amount of coding and time that went into creating this cohesive array of features is quite clear.

Though my computer is very bad (2007 MacBook Pro with 4gb of ram), which means it's pretty laggy for me, so I wouldn't be playing through any of these in the future, sadly. If I had a better computer I certainly would be. Didn't really have any issues other than that, great work!

Also, the unit design is pretty cool. I especially liked the drone design, how it's a quadrocopter like modern drones, and how the arms retract and extend when landing/taking off. And the spinning blades. And how you cleverly decided to use the normal units as the CRPL unit's "attacks." The gameplay, on the other hand, seems to be somewhat reminiscent of CW1, where you basically swarm emitters to "cap them off," except here you're capping them to destroy them. So kinda a mix of CW1 and CW3, then. There's also the need to keep resources near the front line, which is something that normal Creeper World never really focuses on.

So yeah, great job!

Tyler21

thegamemaster1234, thanks for your comment!

Quote from: thegamemaster1234 on April 08, 2015, 08:08:34 PM
Though my computer is very bad (2007 MacBook Pro with 4gb of ram), which means it's pretty laggy for me, so I wouldn't be playing through any of these in the future, sadly. If I had a better computer I certainly would be. Didn't really have any issues other than that, great work!

The reappearing fog of war causes 90% of the lag so I am planning to just remove it. It adds almost nothing to the gameplay. I hope that this will solve performance related issues.

Quote from: thegamemaster1234 on April 08, 2015, 08:08:34 PM
There's also the need to keep resources near the front line, which is something that normal Creeper World never really focuses on.

I fully agree with most of the things you write, except for this sentence. If you want to play CW3 in the best way, you have to keep most of your forces near the front line and frequently relocate them, not only the units that directly harm the Creeper but also CNs to decrease packet travel time.
"Enjoyment appears at the boundary between boredom and anxiety, when the challenges are just balanced with the person's capacity to act."

Check my collection of the 30 most difficult and challenging maps in Colonial Space!

thegamemaster1234

Usually I never play large maps so I never have the need to relocate CNs, since packet speed forge upgrades are good enough. I completely understand what you're saying though. (But this emphasizes it even more than CW had already)

Also, the radio towers remind me of CW2's packet transmission system. So that makes this a combo of all CW games in one! :P

tanminecraft2

I never seen any more map where is it? and this is where your forum is? why you need to do? this make me confused about check out the forum

tanminecraft2

and also there should be an auto walkback after refilling ammo

hbarudi

Played this map on colonial space, nice new game altogether, but will there be future maps or a usable template?
Also is can be possible to use a fictional storyline about a world with a lot of uranium on it.

Tyler21

Quote from: hbarudi on October 30, 2015, 10:52:29 PM
Played this map on colonial space, nice new game altogether, but will there be future maps or a usable template?
Also is can be possible to use a fictional storyline about a world with a lot of uranium on it.

See here.

pigglebear

One of my science people stood in the radioactive stuff for a long time and took no damage.
E=mc

Builder17

Maybe it creeper wasn't in red area of geiger meter in lower right.