Committee Map I

Started by Clean0nion, February 10, 2014, 05:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clean0nion

This is the thread for the Committee Map I. All decisions will be made by the Committee other than the order of events outlined in this first post and all subsequent unmodified quotes of this post.

ORDER OF EVENTS
1. Create uploading guidelines
1. Create uploading guidelines
We will decide, as a Committee in which all members are equal, what measures should be taken before and during the upload of the finished map. We will either have one person both playtest and upload the map, or have a percentage of the contributors playtest. The uploader of the map must post it with a name and description.
We will decide, as a Committee in which all members are equal, on the name of the map.
[close]

2. Decide on map theme
3. Decide on map difficulty level

4. Make map
4. Make map
The map will be made as per the decisions of the Committee. This will include but is not limited to: claim regions, rules on claim regions, border rules, CRPL guidelines, and terrain guidelines. The Committee will define the terms expressed here.
[close]

5. Evaluate map
5. Evaluate map
We will decide, as a Committee in which all members are equal, on one person of moderate authority to evaluate the map. We will decide on the definition of 'moderate' and who this person should be.
We will decide, as a Committee in which all members are equal, the measures that should be taken during the evaluation process. For example - to what extent should the evaluator modify the map? This may range from 'Not at all' to 'Removing and adding features as is seen fit'. The extent of evaluation may depend on the preferences of the creator of the questioned feature.
We will decide, as a Committee in which all members are equal, the amount of times, and on subsequent re-evaluations by whom, the map should be re-evaluated.
[close]

6. Upload
6. Upload
We will decide, as a Committee in which all members are equal, on the description for the map and by whom the map should be uploaded. The map will then be playtested as per the conditions set earlier, and uploaded to Colonial Space. Upon the event of upload the map is under the ownership of Knucklecracker LLC and the Committee is henceforth disbanded.
[close]

By contributing to this map in any way, you agree to the terms and conditions stated above, and that these terms and rules may changed as per the decision of the Committee, and that you are a member of the Committee.

Stage 1 of map making commences below this post.

Grauniad

Errmm... point of order.

According to Robert's Rules (which does have an official site), you at the very last forgot to state who the committee would be, how the committee would be convened, what the voting rules are and how a chairperson would be elected. Plus a few other things.

You can get an abbreviated version of the rules at Amazon. THat should be sufficient for getting this project off the ground. However, the full version is also available.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Clean0nion

Quote from: Grauniad on February 10, 2014, 05:53:06 PM
Errmm... point of order.

According to Robert's Rules (which does have an official site), you at the very last forgot to state who the committee would be, how the committee would be convened, what the voting rules are and how a chairperson would be elected. Plus a few other things.

You can get an abbreviated version of the rules at Amazon. THat should be sufficient for getting this project off the ground. However, the full version is also available.
As stated at the bottom of the original post, all rules may be modified by the Committee. As currently rules permit there to be no Committee, I have modified this.

Grauniad

well, now you have a quandary. A committee map without a committee? Technically speaking, since you have not yet contributed to this proposed map, *you* are not a member of the committee. :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

TLMike

Quote from: Grauniad on February 10, 2014, 06:38:28 PM
well, now you have a quandary. A committee map without a committee? Technically speaking, since you have not yet contributed to this proposed map, *you* are not a member of the committee. :)
I second this premise, and move for an "OHHHH SNAP".

pawel345

Ok C0 so what do you really want to make? Seems it seems like a lot of random rules and little actual mapmaking XD That how usually a committee ends up. Lot of talking - little work :P

planetfall

If you don't mind my saying this... it looks more like a great big bureaucratic mess. You might produce a map or two, but I doubt anyone will have much fun with it.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Clean0nion

1. If you read the blue text, you'll see that by posting you have inducted yourself.

2. What do I want to make? I am no more a member than any of you. If you have an idea, mention it.

pawel345

LOL, before making a thread get an idea. Really deciding on rules is nice but they have to apply to something XD  So first get an idea for a map XD

J

So I'm a member of the committee? :)
Upload guidelines:
I think for uploading, if 15% or more people of the committee, in which all people are equal, say no because the map is either too hard or not fun enough, the map should be changed to fit those peoples needs better.

We probably need to think about the main idea and the size of the map (or probably multiple maps) before editing anything.

Well, too many rules, I'll create and upload maps on my own =P

Clean0nion

Quote from: J on February 11, 2014, 11:17:46 AM
So I'm a member of the committee? :)
Upload guidelines:
I think for uploading, if 15% or more people of the committee, in which all people are equal, say no because the map is either too hard or not fun enough, the map should be changed to fit those peoples needs better.

We probably need to think about the main idea and the size of the map (or probably multiple maps) before editing anything.

Well, too many rules, I'll create and upload maps on my own =P
Well, this wasn't a very successful experiment. Nobody's read the guidelines (with the probable exceptions of Grauniad and J) and nobody except J and I seem to understand the whole concept. I should probably lock this thread.

J

How would you create 'better' community maps then?
How about just removing all the rules and start with a blank map with the size of my miniland maps (standard map size -25% in both directions)? Then everybody can edit up to 100 cells everytime they edit the map (can be 10x10, circular, 1x100, 4 times a 5x5 piece, and can be cells other players have also edited), and add/modify/remove up to one unit (emitters, AET's, players units, resource packs, spore towers...). No CRPL/digitalis and at the end we decide with a voting which techs are available to the player. The terrain is finished as soon as there are no more level 1 terrain cells. This however isn't really a committee map so we probably need another thread for that. And probably a thread for idea's how to make community maps =P

planetfall

Quote from: Clean0nion on February 11, 2014, 11:01:15 AM
1. If you read the blue text, you'll see that by posting you have inducted yourself.

It says if I contribute to the map in any way. There is no map yet. I'm contributing to / criticizing the concept of committee maps in general.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

MadMag

Let us just continue with with PTM`s the way we have done them, we will be getting better at it. At least we are having fun making them :)
We can make them easier, but maybe we are not building maps for people that are new to CW..