Community maps.

Started by Grauniad, February 10, 2014, 08:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teknotiss

well i can do an objective look at any map for you dudes, and i'm in the fora most days. and i can be brutally honest if you wish  ;) let me know if you want an external invigilator   8)

pretty sure Helper will help too (sort of built in there really, a "on the tin" kind of dude! ::))
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Flabort

The thing we need... is an "OpperatesWhileEdit (True)" command, also a "CurrentActKey" to detect the user, plus some other edit-mode based commands. Also an "IsFinalized", which could also be used to turn off debug commands without commenting them. A big script can be compiled by the community, with a nice long list of vars. A map is started, a single core placed anywhere on it, and the script attached. Set some vars, hit recompile, and unpause the map for a second. Go back to edit mode and save. Pass the world-builder folder.

This script would keep track of the last 3 Activation Keys (AK) that the map was loaded on. It would keep track of the terrain's layout when the current AK started, and only allow +/-X terrain levels from that to be modified (void is +/-10). Each tile modified adds to this amount. Increasing a 10x10 area from height 3 terrain to height 7 would use up 200 levels from that player's pool. There would be separate limits to adding/removing walls/digitalis, which all three limits could be set when initializing the script. Adding and editing certain units by certain amounts is worth +/- different amounts of Unit Points. Attaching a script to a CRPL core is ~75 points and the core is worth 100 points. If each user is given 150 unit points, then less CRPL spam will occur. It can access the "0" script innate to all units to figure out how much they've been edited.

Since the script would keep track of only 3 users, after 3 others have edited it, it will forget you and you'll be able to add more.

However, this theoretical... "community builder script"... would be intensely complex to make, and require several commands that currently don't exist. It would be easier just to say "these are your limits", and not have to build a script to keep track of that. Actually, someone should try that.

Prototype rules?
1) Per round, builders have 400 TP, 20 DP, and 150 UP. (Modifiable by GM/theme)
2) Adding or removing a terrain level in a cell costs 1 TP. Refunds only if you change it BACK before your round ends.
2a) Changing terrain to or from Void costs 9+n TP. "n" is the height of the modified terrain.
3) 1 tile of adding or removing digitalis costs 1 DP. 1 tile of adding or removing walls costs 2 DP.
4) Adding or removing an enemy costs a certain amount of UP per enemy. See table 1-a.
5) Adding or removing resources or player-units costs varying amounts of UP per unit. See table 1-b.
6) Editing values on enemy or player units costs varying amounts of UP. See tables 2-a and 2-b.
7) Changing unit prices or limits, or forge limits, costs varying amounts of UP. See table 3.
8) You may only contribute again once two or three other players have contributed.
9) The same LOCKED and UNLOCKED rules as previous community maps, but limiting to amount of editing, not location of editing.

Table 1-a
<IN PROGRESS>
CRPL CORE: 90 UP

Table 1-b
<DITTO>
CRPL CORE: 90 UP

Table 2-a
<THE SAME STATUS>
Change image from none: 10 UP
Attach Script: 30 UP + 5 UP per command

Table 2-b
<INCOMPLETE>
Change image from none: 10 UP
Attach Script: 30 UP + 5 UP per command

Table 3
<YOU GUESSED IT>
[close]
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

pawel345

I think each "community" map initiative should have it's own rules, as the rules depend on what kind of map you want to make. The person that goes forward with an initiative sets up a set of rules for it, and then those rules are modified as problems rise up.

One can't make a set of rules for all possible "community" maps as, for example, rules for a community map where 1 person does all the terrain and then the other sets enemies, would be different than a map where all people get to make the terrain and then a single person puts enemies on the map.

Also too much rules spoil the fun and chain the "artistic spirit" :P

Annonymus

@MadMag: PLEASE don't be the map tester, except 1 of them I wasn't able to beat ANY of your maps and even on that one I had to cheat (Abusing of the something you didn't think of when making the map (That guppies survive for some time while in creeper)).

About flabort's rules, I disagree heavily because the difficulty can vary by much editing only little terrain/placing few enemies etc. or very little editing much terrain/placing many enemies...
The CRPL thing is even worse because CRPL gives you so many different things to do (including helpful things...) that you can't define general rules for all CRPL.
If a topic started by me is in the wrong place feel free to move it at anytime.

MadMag

No problem.

I have the easiest squares in Pass The Maps :)

teknotiss

perhaps some (alternating) CRPL free maps?  ??? i'd like to see these sort of communal maps
CRPL is powerful, perhaps too tempting for mere mortals to be restrained with?  ;)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Lost in Nowhere

Except maybe the emitter script, as that is extremely simple...
edit: wrong thread for that...
Don't die! :)

Annonymus

Instead of no CRPL I'd say nothing new/fancy, but slip emitters / flip emitters / some of the corrupted units and probably more shouldn't be so bad as long as it's explained well what effects they have.
If a topic started by me is in the wrong place feel free to move it at anytime.