Two and a half new ideas for CS

Started by Clean0nion, January 26, 2014, 08:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clean0nion

So I was noticing how Stewbasic uploaded an updated version of his/her map, and it got me thinking about being able to update our maps through CS. And this idea of course veered away completely from its original purpose.

Here's what I'm thinking. CS interface. Three categories.
1. New
2. Hot
3. Recently updated
If users could update their maps, and they did so, it would be moved to the top of list 3. Newly-uploaded maps would only appear in list 1 (which is essentially what we have now).
The Hot list would work on some kind of carefully balanced algorithm. It would take the ratings and downloads for each map, and then factor in how recent those ratings and downloads were. So maps with good reviews and a lot of recent downloads would appear at the top of the Hot list, and as less people played them, they would move down and let other more recently popular maps take their place. Like an automatic 'cream of the crop' machine.

One of the problems caused by this is that 'lazy' players would just browse the Hot list and that would be it. The map at the top would stay at the top - so into this algorithm we need to factor in how long the map has been in the list. So after a few months/weeks the old, popular maps are down with the rubbish ones. And that's fine. They had their moment. New maps are always being made.

But another problem would be that the date and time of each rating and download would need to be logged - but this could be deleted after the map moves down in the list by a certain extent. Or the Hot list only shows the top 20 or so, and the data for all the rest is deleted.

And here is a basic formula for this purpose that is unlikely to work (if I could get a theta I would:

((R * Rv) / Rt) + (D / Dt)) / Ht
R is total ratings, D is total downloads
Rv is average rating value
Rt is average rating time, perhaps in hours since the map was made
Dt is average download time
Ht is how long the map's been on the Hot list

Shoddy formula, but what do you think about the concept?

THAT FORMULA IN CRPL!!!!

R Rv mul Rt div D Dt div add Ht div

[close]

J

To allow updating maps, you would probably need a profile (and a password) for CW3, or ask V to update it manually =P.
A way to avoid logging the date of every single download and rating is just making a list of most downloaded and best rated of yesterday (for best rated you need at least 5 ratings, or multiply with the square root of the number of ratings). These lists are updated once every day and every map only needs to store three times as much data for downloads and scores (all-time, today, and yesterday).

Grauniad

You cannot update maps. There are a number of issues that make it impossible. Don't even ask Virgil.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Michionlion

I do like the 'New' and 'Hot' section idea, though.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Asbestos

Also, a most played list: the average between downloads and number of scores.

pawel345

The "New" section already exists, that's what you get when opening the CS.
The "Hot" seems cool but I guess it might be hard to decide on the criteria to put a map in it.