Custom map concepts

Started by Clean0nion, October 28, 2013, 02:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clean0nion

I'm currently in the process of designing a map that is difficult all the way through, not just at the beginning.

I've come with a few (probably previously-invented) concepts that should make the map more difficult. What I'd like to request is that I list them here and you review them. Do you like these ideas? Would you immediately give up if you saw one?

1. The dots
The player is forced to use a Terp to access the next area.
Example image at http://clean0nion.weebly.com/uploads/6/2/8/6/6286933/5010677_orig.png

2. Limited resources
The picture explains for itself.
Image at http://clean0nion.weebly.com/uploads/6/2/8/6/6286933/9942707_orig.png

3. Problem solving
This is hard to explain so I'll just explain the image. This is just one problem, of course.
Image: http://clean0nion.weebly.com/uploads/6/2/8/6/6286933/7927197_orig.png
Explanation:
Spoiler

This will be in my custom map so... yeah.
Spoiler

You start by dumping your CN on the green area, put out one of your collectors to get the MA. Then destroy the collector (because you only have 5) and move the CN to where the MA was. Then make a chain of collectors over to the relay.
[close]
[close]

4. Spore towers
I can't make an image of this so I'll try to explain.
Spoiler
You have one spore tower. It takes 120s to build it, and 60s before it launches 1 spore. It's a 120:60:1 spore tower.
So I have a row of towers.
120:60:1
240:60:5
360:60:10
500:60:10
550:60:10
600:50:10
650:30:10
700:20:10
1000:1:1
Obviously they will be more lenient than that, but you get the idea. More spores as the game progresses. Much more.
[close]

So - what do you Creepereers think of these ideas? Would they work? Are you going to steal them from me? How difficult is too difficult?
Spoiler
For those who think I'm an idiot - yes I'm fully aware that you can take any of these ideas
[close]

steelwing

I think I'd love to see the code (if any there is) that you use for this map.  8)  Sounds like an interesting challenge.  With limited collectors at the start, how do you gather enough energy to be able to do anything?

eduran

Quote from: Clean0nion on October 28, 2013, 02:58:51 PM
I'm currently in the process of designing a map that is difficult all the way through, not just at the beginning.

I think it's a worthy goal to pursue. A lot of maps are only difficult right at the start and once you are in a stable position they pretty much play out in the same way. So I'd welcome anything that has me fighting for survival right to the last second.

About your suggestions:

1. I am not a fan. It doesn't make it hard to push onto that emitter, just tedious in my opinion.

2. Limited energy sounds like a great idea. You'd always have to come up with the most efficient way to deal with whatever the map throws at you. Probably very hard to balance the amount of energy available vs. the amount of creeper.

3. Not sure about this one. It turns CW into a puzzle game of sorts. Could work if the problems are well designed.

4. So they'd basically work as an energy drain that scales up over time? That should work, keeps you from reaching the stable position I was talking about.

J

Giving up is not the correct word. People probably won't play it because they think it is going to be tedious. Ofcourse a good map maker can make fun out of these concepts, but that depends on the skill of the map maker. My idea of a map that constantly challenges you is a map that grows stronger at the same speed of the player until the player manages to kill the tower in a quick assault (keeping the endgame short).
I'm not interested in idea 1 (although I used it in one of my own maps). Challenge 3 looks interesting but is very hard to create properly.

pawel345

00Well as for me the challenge I like the most is not franticly defending your position but attacking on a far of island full of creeper. A map forcing you to use interesting strategies to get a foothold on an enemy area. Your initial CN+some reactors and a forge can be left away form danger, but can't have enough space to build many berthas. Also most enemies should be close to either a totem or void so that one can't build a PZ bertha on them(as PZ bertha is seriously OP and having 3-4 of them makes any assault easy). Adding digitalis and runners usually also increases the difficulty level.

ThirdParty

I don't really like the escalating spore towers, or indeed anything that smacks of a time limit.  In general I prefer to move at my own pace, trying experiments until I find one that works.  Finding a strategy that works, only to be in an unwinnable position because I moved a bit too slowly an hour earlier, and so having to replay the map in order to do the same thing I've already done except quicker, isn't fun for me.

(If you must do escalating spores, tie them to accomplishments rather than times.  e.g. The second group of spore towers spawn when the player first places a unit on the second island, or when the first emitter is nullified, or something like that, rather than starting up automatically after a time limit.  That way the player will never be in a lost position because of moving too slowly during an earlier stage of the map than the stage he's currently facing.)

Clean0nion

Quote from: steelwing on October 28, 2013, 03:59:28 PM
I think I'd love to see the code (if any there is) that you use for this map.  8)  Sounds like an interesting challenge.  With limited collectors at the start, how do you gather enough energy to be able to do anything?

No code. Yet.
Limited collectors - reactors. Limited reactors - find more. No more reactors - you're not being efficient enough - spread your few collectors more effectively.

Quote from: ThirdParty on October 29, 2013, 09:14:34 AM
(If you must do escalating spores, tie them to accomplishments rather than times.  e.g. The second group of spore towers spawn when the player first places a unit on the second island, or when the first emitter is nullified, or something like that, rather than starting up automatically after a time limit.  That way the player will never be in a lost position because of moving too slowly during an earlier stage of the map than the stage he's currently facing.)

Excellent idea! I shall have to spend some time learning CRPL.

Wally

I don't really like the escalating spore towers, or indeed anything that smacks of a time limit.  In general I prefer to move at my own pace, trying experiments until I find one that works.  Finding a strategy that works, only to be in an unwinnable position because I moved a bit too slowly an hour earlier, and so having to replay the map in order to do the same thing I've already done except quicker, isn't fun for me.

This would have been my only negative point on Clean0nion's suggestions.

And this would be the cleanest solution, so I just have to do one thing :

+1  ;)
Wally

ChrRas

Looking forward to try this map  :)

Clean0nion

Quote from: ChrRas on November 15, 2013, 03:54:28 PM
Looking forward to try this map  :)
It's all done!
Head to www.clean0nion.weebly.com/domorthea.html or just find the topic in the Custom Map Discussion forum (http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14571.0). The map is called Domorthea.

Michionlion

hey, clean, you can take a full map screenshot (even if the map doesn't fit your monitor) with F12 (Correction: F11).
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Clean0nion

Quote from: Michionlion on November 15, 2013, 09:14:10 PM
hey, clean, you can take a full map screenshot (even if the map doesn't fit your monitor) with F12.
:O THANK YOU
Also thank you for looking at my site.

Grauniad

hey, clean, you can take a full map screenshot (even if the map doesn't fit your monitor) with F12 F11.

F11 takes a full map, F12 is basically a screenshot with the control panels, etc.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Michionlion

Quote from: Grauniad on November 15, 2013, 10:38:04 PM
hey, clean, you can take a full map screenshot (even if the map doesn't fit your monitor) with F12 F11.

F11 takes a full map, F12 is basically a screenshot with the control panels, etc.
Thanks, I always get the two mixed up...  normally I just press both! :P
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Lost in Nowhere

Quote from: Michionlion on November 15, 2013, 10:45:13 PM
Quote from: Grauniad on November 15, 2013, 10:38:04 PM

Thanks, I always get the two mixed up...  normally I just press both! :P
You aren't the only one who can't remember which of those keys does which... I can't either.
Don't die! :)