Power Generation [Suggestion]

Started by Zoura3025, April 06, 2020, 02:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoura3025

I'll preface this with the fact that I intensely dislike how reactors were removed, but instead of just being a whiny child and saying "tHaT's StUpId BrInG tHeM bAcK" I want to actually offer a solution/replacement concept.

So, I like the concept of buildings that can be built as multi-tier structures, so I was thinking, why don't we have a power generation complex? The general gist is that the central structure is 9×9 and acts as a central collector, and the reactor chambers that actually produce energy are built adjacent to the central node. Admittedly, I haven't been watching the dev vids as much as I should, so I'm not sure about the scale (i.e. exactly how much power each reactor chamber should provide) but there should be some incentive to fully load a Reactor Core with surrounding Chambers.

On a smaller, less serious note, I think it could be cool to see a building that is placed on top of nullified Emitters and turns creeper into Energy/Bluite.
(09:06:07) Zoura3025: But for us diehard fans: "Time is Sanity"

Grabz

Reactors weren't removed, they are currently replaced by Miners which can be built freely on energy ground. Some maps will give you more of it, others less.
For quicker response, reply to me directly at Grabz#4707 on Discord. Find me on the KC server: https://discord.gg/knucklecracker

Ninja

I feel like this was totally a way to reduce the ability to turtle and try to make it so there's less of a "turtle" phase if the mapmaker wants there to be less of that ability. If so, as a dedicated turtle myself, I actually like this change.

Karsten75

to the best of my understanding, knucracker is not specifically for or against turtling, or any specific method of game play and/or victory. Hence he has even allowed multiple alternate victory conditions to attempt to please more players on each map.

The major issue with CW3-style rector farms is overhead. Each unit has to be rendered, and planting 200 reactors on the map involves significant overhead - especially if it is of no material benefit to game strategy. It is a rare occurrence in playtesting that energy was a bottleneck, since the towers in CW4 are easier to place and in general provide more power per unit that CW3 collectors did.

In fact, today after some absence I played a CW3 map and I was struck by the slowness of the game. I can only liken it to the difference between playing CW1 and CW3. So I think (hope) most players will not really miss having to create enormous reactor farms.

I should also mention that those reactor farms in CW3 were significant contributors to game lag. Something that will not plague CW4. 

Grabz

I think it's also just different, and not anything in favor or against turtling. You can argue infinite reactors can limit map design.

Remember that map makers are going to create maps that they themselves can beat, which will likely include a lot of maps where you will be given a lot of energy, but there will also be a subset of maps that their creators will want to make difficult, and energy ground will be another tool to provide that difficulty.
For quicker response, reply to me directly at Grabz#4707 on Discord. Find me on the KC server: https://discord.gg/knucklecracker

GoodMorning

Rather than debating on taste, I can answer the OP in one word:

Scripting

I imagine that this will prove to be a reasonably satisfying answer to/for everyone.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

WithersChat

Are power-generating 4RPL cores going to be a thing? And CONST_ISCONNECTED or something like this?
I have met some problems while using CRPL, one of them was that I couldn't test if my CRPLCore was connected to a CN like a message artifact that is collected in this situation.
There is no signature!