C0

Started by Clean0nion, November 02, 2013, 03:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flabort

Spam? Au contrair, that's how you see there's an update.  :P
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

Clean0nion

Quote from: Flabort on January 18, 2014, 04:48:35 PM
Spam? Au contrair, that's how you see there's an update.  :P
Only problem is, they're not updates, they're spoilers...
I won't post any more spoilers. I'll just add a few in this post and I'll edit a few more in when I feel like it.

ugh

Biomes
Sall 1 - Desert
Sall 2 - Space
Sall 3 - Wall
Sall 4 - Facility
Sall 5 - Space
[close]
Concepts
Sall 1 - Basic
Sall 2 - Rock-jumping
Sall 3 - Evasion
Sall 4 - Frustration
Sall 5 - Timing
[close]
Vital units
Sall 1 - Pulse Cannon
Sall 2 - Guppy
Sall 3 - Shield
Sall 4 - Sniper
Sall 5 - Bertha
[close]
Sall 3
[close]
Sall 4
[close]
[close]

Clean0nion: You ruined my fun!
Community: 0nion, no-one actually cares, please understand
Flabort: I'm not with them

If you want more spoilers, check this post periodically. I'll be adding information regarding specific maps, not just a one-word summary of each map, and screenshots and stuff. I'll update this post when the maps are released, which will be under the following conditions:
1. They're all finished.
2. I've run out of inspiration of adding new stuff to each one.
3. I am able to post five consecutive maps which will, by the CS numeric system, be appealing numbers. For example, 145-150. Not 142-147, for example.
4. I'm CERTAIN that the map-completion-checking system is 100% working.

See you guys around!

EDIT: I'll post about about added spoilers in my signature. Times will be in forum-time

Edit: Added pictures of 3 and 4.

Relli

Quote from: Clean0nion on January 18, 2014, 05:02:26 PM
3. I am able to post five consecutive maps which will, by the CS numeric system, be appealing numbers. For example, 145-150. Not 142-147, for example.
Be careful with that. You wouldn't actually get 145-150. That's 6 maps total.
If it were me, I think I'd aim for 141-145, so that each one ends with the number that I think of it as. 1 through 5. But naturally what you do is up to you.

Clean0nion

I suppose you're right. xx1 - xx5 it is.

And although it consists of five maps technically speaking, from a less practical perspective, it's six maps. But only the more intuitive will find the sixth.

And yes, that is a spoiler, but don't complain, because I was replying to Relli.

Clean0nion

Sall System series is set to be released on maps 181-185, but may be further postponed until AC guppies are removed or an option is supplied to disable them.

pawel345

Just disable guppies altogether?

Clean0nion

One of the maps is based on guppies - that option isn't feasible. Thanks for your help attempt, though.

Annonymus

I don't think you can, but maybe you are able to create a script that detects and destroys AC-guppies.
If a topic started by me is in the wrong place feel free to move it at anytime.

pawel345

I think you need to simply live with AC guppies. They don't change a lot in the overall balance, now instead of Ore guppy - CN - Bomber - Sprayer you get Ore guppy - CN -AC guppy - Sprayer.

Energy guppies, they would change a lot since you would be able to build far of energy farms not needing direct connection to the CN. But AC guppies don't change much since you could anyway transport ore and AC, it just required micromanagement to be really effective.

knucracker

Before I add some option to turn off ac guppies in maps, I'd really like to understand how they break any existing or planned map.

The only cases I can think of are maps that remove bombers, or that only allow building of bombers at remove locations, or that disallow bombers but have prebuilt bombers at remote locations.  In the second two cases AC guppies enable those scenarios rather than being a spoiler.

So only maps that disallow bombers are affected in a potentially seriously game altering way.  Even in this case, there have to be remote patches inaccessible by a traditional network.  It's also true that with a little bit of micro management you could flying in several AC sprayers already loaded up to a remote location even without AC guppies.  So you can still deliver AC remotely even without bombers and without AC guppies.

So I'd like to learn more about what I'm missing.  My initial impression with AC guppies was, "well that was an often asked for feature that turned out to be not that big of a deal in the game".  So if they mess up plans you have on some of your maps, give me some details so I can think through and understand the issues. 

Clean0nion

Quote from: virgilw on January 27, 2014, 10:54:05 AM
Before I add some option to turn off ac guppies in maps, I'd really like to understand how they break any existing or planned map.

The only cases I can think of are maps that remove bombers, or that only allow building of bombers at remove locations, or that disallow bombers but have prebuilt bombers at remote locations.  In the second two cases AC guppies enable those scenarios rather than being a spoiler.

So only maps that disallow bombers are affected in a potentially seriously game altering way.  Even in this case, there have to be remote patches inaccessible by a traditional network.  It's also true that with a little bit of micro management you could flying in several AC sprayers already loaded up to a remote location even without AC guppies.  So you can still deliver AC remotely even without bombers and without AC guppies.

So I'd like to learn more about what I'm missing.  My initial impression with AC guppies was, "well that was an often asked for feature that turned out to be not that big of a deal in the game".  So if they mess up plans you have on some of your maps, give me some details so I can think through and understand the issues.  
Alright - and this is a spoiler, but here goes.
I have a unit that charges guppy pads using CONST_AMMO. If the guppy is set to AC, it charges that, giving the player infinite AC.
Saying that, I actually haven't tested whether or not it charges Ore guppies. So, just a simple way to detect what cargo a guppy is set to would solve all my problems.

To the extent of my memory, bombers are disabled in all of my maps.
Thanks for actually responding to this - very few do.

TL;DR: AC guppies are affected by CONST_AMMO <-var SetUnitAttribute

J

So basically a crpl command to detect the state of a guppy is enough (don't charge when in AC mode).

knucracker

I'll confirm this shortly, but this doesn't appear to be a problem with AC guppies.  Their pads have to be loaded with ammoAC, not ammo.  It will be a problem with ore guppies...
So interestingly, this issue doesn't have anything to do with the introduction of AC guppies.  Technically it also isn't an issue... it's a feature request at this point.  I could have never added AC guppies and you'd have to deal with this problem based on what you are doing in your map.  Forcing ammo into a guppy means you can get free packets or free ore...

But, this scriptvar definitions probably can't hurt.  In the next build you have these script vars.

Guppy Pad
   MODE {"PACKET", "ORE", "AC"}

So something like this (untested... I just typed it in below)

if (GetScriptVar(<-padUID "" "MODE") eq ("PACKET"))
   #Juice the pad
endif

Cavemaniac

Quote from: virgilw on January 27, 2014, 10:54:05 AM

The only cases I can think of are maps that remove bombers, or that only allow building of bombers at remove locations, or that disallow bombers but have prebuilt bombers at remote locations.  In the second two cases AC guppies enable those scenarios rather than being a spoiler.

The following expects that Sprayers dispatching excess AC can dispatch directly to a guppy pad without a CN.

Redlemon's Bardel in 'Alpha' is a good example of how the advent of an AC Guppy can dramatically affect gameplay.

It's a map that has severely limited energy production capacity but a near infinite supply of AC thanks to the AC carrying Runners which are fun/easy to snipe - but there's no easy way to get the AC to where it's needed.

I initially played the map with the intention of using Guppies to bring the AC back to base, but discovered when I got there that AC Guppies had been removed at some stage....
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

pawel345

You could build a bunch of sprayers and fly them to CN when they are at 100. So if sprayers are allowed, AC guppies only remove the micromanagement part.