stewbasic's maps

Started by stewbasic, October 26, 2013, 10:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLMike

I was trying to do that. I guess my timing is just really crap. The few times I was able to [redacted], the emitter's creeper would flood in and destroy the nullifier. BUT I SHALL BE EVER VIGILANT.

Update: I've done it, on the old version of the map. Had to get my timing just right, and I had to be careful about jumping too high.

pawel345

A great map, although I managed to finish only the new version :(

stewbasic

Here's another map... the emitters have a very punishing booby trap, but the player also gets a somewhat overpowered ability. If anyone wants to give some comments, I'll try to take them into consideration before uploading to colonial space.

(btw I know this is a zombie post, but there was also a guideline to have 1 thread per map maker, and I'm not sure which one trumps the other :P).

teknotiss

Quote from: stewbasic on April 27, 2014, 12:44:23 PM
Here's another map... the emitters have a very punishing booby trap, but the player also gets a somewhat overpowered ability. If anyone wants to give some comments, I'll try to take them into consideration before uploading to colonial space.

(btw I know this is a zombie post, but there was also a guideline to have 1 thread per map maker, and I'm not sure which one trumps the other :P).

player map threads should be free to be necro'd,l they should be for the players maps no matter the interval between posts ;)
giving it a go too! cheers dude  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Gameboytm101

I only have one complaint about the new map so far: Why give us a forge if there's no totems or Aether packs?

EDIT: I forgot about the runner nest. It's pointless because I nullify it before the digitalis has a chance to creep in.

stewbasic

Quote from: Gameboytm101 on April 29, 2014, 04:11:58 PM
I only have one complaint about the new map so far: Why give us a forge if there's no totems or Aether packs?
There are a few units which are of no use on this map (forge, ore mine, siphon). I guess there's no harm in disabling them.

EDIT: I forgot about the runner nest. It's pointless because I nullify it before the digitalis has a chance to creep in.
I actually added that to give a PZ and make things a bit easier (and it adds a bit of pressure to be quick at the start).

teknotiss

Quote from: stewbasic on April 29, 2014, 07:24:11 PM
There are a few units which are of no use on this map (forge, ore mine, siphon). I guess there's no harm in disabling them.

I actually added that to give a PZ and make things a bit easier (and it adds a bit of pressure to be quick at the start).

my only complaint is the lack of aether too, perhaps just 50 or so in a resource pack if you want limits, but energy storage upgrade is a bit of a must for me! :)

ps "no forge no fun" is a bit of a standing complaint in the threads, just a heads up!  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

stewbasic

Quote from: teknotiss on April 30, 2014, 01:12:50 PM
my only complaint is the lack of aether too, perhaps just 50 or so in a resource pack if you want limits, but energy storage upgrade is a bit of a must for me! :)

ps "no forge no fun" is a bit of a standing complaint in the threads, just a heads up!  8)
I left it out because the booby traps will destroy the forge and any upgrades purchased. Though I guess it could still help initially? I could add it and warn about this in the opening conversation.

Gameboytm101

Also, Orbital Calldown is a bit too OP. Might want to add limits, like 10 per unit. If there's anything I learned while playing the first and third games... a squadron of blasters can take anything down.

A little off-topic, but a blaster squadron was how I beat Tucana while I was stuck in a stalemate while running a deficit I couldn't catch up to.

stewbasic

I have a new map ready to play. As always, any feedback is appreciated, and I will take it into consideration before uploading to CS. Here is the description:

Play as the creeper! Here is my take on this often suggested idea. There are strict conditions on increasing creeper production, so it's all about making good use of what you've got.

Thanks Grayzzur for the spore tower flower image.

#CRPL

planetfall

Quote from: stewbasic on June 28, 2014, 06:28:32 PM
Play as the creeper! Here is my take on this often suggested idea. There are strict conditions on increasing creeper production, so it's all about making good use of what you've got.

Gorram it, I was going to try making something like this... (granted, with some corrupted units and missiles and things as well, but that's not TOO much more work. I had a slightly different build method in mind, as well.)

Emitters and spore towers detect space for deselect, but not escape.

Oh, and a relatively minor bug: when you lose and auto-unpause-when-closing-conversation is enabled, closing the "mission fail" conversation will advance the game one frame, and display the conversation again. FOREVAAAAAAAAH.

And a bigger bug: it seems that the blue rings on totems support digitalis.

And if you select a spore tower, and then click on a button to deselect, its target gets set to the bottom right corner.

Potentially more bugs coming up... I've got to say though, this is a tough and fun puzzle.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Asbestos

With perseverance, skill, and copious amounts of editing, I have conquered the map!
Spoiler

[close]
Fun, but a bit too hard - hence the complete destruction of the map through edit mode.

stewbasic

Quote from: planetfall on June 28, 2014, 07:11:53 PM
Emitters and spore towers detect space for deselect, but not escape.

Oh, and a relatively minor bug: when you lose and auto-unpause-when-closing-conversation is enabled, closing the "mission fail" conversation will advance the game one frame, and display the conversation again. FOREVAAAAAAAAH.

And a bigger bug: it seems that the blue rings on totems support digitalis.

And if you select a spore tower, and then click on a button to deselect, its target gets set to the bottom right corner.
Thanks for catching these. The digitalis problem is not actually the blue ring (there's no core there) but that every core on the map is supporting digitalis >.<. I just assumed the default was false...

Quote from: Asbestos on June 28, 2014, 10:03:31 PM
With perseverance, skill, and copious amounts of editing, I have conquered the map!
Spoiler

[close]
Fun, but a bit too hard - hence the complete destruction of the map through edit mode.
Was there any particular aspect or region of the map that was too hard? Too many Abraxis units? Emitters and towers not strong enough? Not enough PZs?

Asbestos

Well, I couldn't get past the very first bit because the twin Berthas kept completely erasing my progress.

stewbasic

Quote from: Asbestos on June 28, 2014, 11:58:14 PM
Well, I couldn't get past the very first bit because the twin Berthas kept completely erasing my progress.
Aw, I like the berthas :P. I guess I'll remove them if the consensus is against them. If you are interested in trying with a few hints, these might help:
Spoiler

* Keep emitters in burst or support mode unless you need to quickly kill a nullifier.
* Build digitalis whenever you can (this is a way to save your progress).
* Focus on a single target to destroy using the field.
[close]