eduran's maps

Started by eduran, October 19, 2013, 04:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLMike

eduran

Going to revive this thread with a new map. You might be wondering why am I not uploading it to Colonial Space. The reason is, it contains a lot of CRPL and I'd like to collect some feedback first. Once I am happy with how the map plays I'll put it onto CS. If anyone feels brave enough to beta-test my map, you can download it below. Feedback and bug reports are very welcome  :)

The map is currently lacking pre-mission text, so I'll give you the relevant info here:
Spoiler

1) The Forge is preloaded with some upgrades that become active once it is connected. Don't let it die, or the upgrades are gone.
2) The frozen lake around the starting island refills with Creeper from the top and bottom left corners. Like the endless ocean from 3P Hawai'i.
3) The tank-like vehicle on the right side of the map is a Crawler. It can't go onto the lake surface (height 4 terrain), so you are save from it in the beginning. It will leave a trail of digitalis wherever it goes, spawn runners when on active digitalis, spawn Leeches (see below) at a rapid rate and plant an emitter every ~3 minutes. If you get close, its main gun will start to shoot creeper (think sprayer), and it will destroy any buildings it runs over.
4) Leeches are small flyers that will drain ammo from your buildings and return it to the Crawler. The amount of ammo they collect determines how strong the planted emitters are.
5) Crawler and Leeches can be shot by Snipers. Destroying the Crawler wins you the map. It does have a lot of health and gets angry once it drops to 50% health.
[close]

Edit: The map requires game version 1.60 or later to work.

pawel345

Ok so I tried it and the most important bug was that the Crawler didn't work. At all. Just stood there doing nothing and when i tried to destroy it i couldn't despite having 10+ sinipers firing a it, it's health didn't drop below ~1%.

Fun map despite that :D

Bdw. Game version 1.50

knucracker

You need the latest public beta...
Shockingly, eduran has used the path finding crpl commands I added very recently and didn't really document other than the build notes :)  Awesome...

eduran

The map uses new pathfinding functions added in 1.56. Previous versions won't work. I'll edit that into my original post.

asmussen

Interesting map. No glitches that I encountered, although there were a few times during my play through when the speed of the game dropped noticeably for a second or two, and then went right back to normal. I tried to pay attention to if there was anything specific going on that caused these slowdowns, but I couldn't tie it to anything in particular.
Shawn Asmussen

eduran

Quote from: asmussen on January 12, 2014, 05:54:10 PM
Interesting map. No glitches that I encountered, although there were a few times during my play through when the speed of the game dropped noticeably for a second or two, and then went right back to normal. I tried to pay attention to if there was anything specific going on that caused these slowdowns, but I couldn't tie it to anything in particular.

I think I found the cause for that. I tried to work around a bug that could happen when Snipers target units outside the map and ended up introducing a different problem. Using game version 1.60 should fix the issue.

Volix

Great map, didn't run into any bugs or slowdowns as far as I could tell.  The flying version of the leeches works out much better and really put a tax on the energy production without good sniper coverage.  I also liked the idea of a pre-upgraded forge that needed to be saved first, especially once I found how how much harder it was to fend off the leeches from out there. :P Makes the choice of whether to save the forge that much harder.

beardedlinuxgeek

I'm liking Asteroid Belt so far, though I do wish that after I conquered  an island I could connect to it via a relay on a powerzone.

One thing you should fix is the spore tower text. I had a really difficult time figuring out what it said. There are two layers of text and the bottom text only appears for about a single frame before it gets covered up by the top text. When I moused over it, this is all I could see

I actually had to install some screen recording software and then go through frame by frame to catch the bottom text on it's own.

Luckily you can see the first word of the bottom text even when the rest is covered up. I know that when the text starts with "leaves" then you a PZ and if it starts with "does not" then you don't. So now that I know that, playing the map isn't a problem. And hopefully some other people with the same issue find my screenshots in this thread. Still, if possible, you should move the position of test to make it readable.

Fun map though! I like the teleporter concept and how the number of creeper increases based on how many creeper are in the transport pool at the other end.