Creeper World on VGA.

Started by Mrmcdeath, December 12, 2009, 08:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrmcdeath

I knew it would not happen but on the Video Game Awards Creeper World was not on it. I was kind of dissapointed because they even had a best independent game award. I just was thinking about what kind of publicity that Creeper World would get if It was on the VGAs... It would probably be nice to have this game on it.
Life Lesson #1
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
Life Lesson #2
Unless life also gives you sugar and a cup, your lemonades gonna suck.

haloguy48

Quote from: Mrmcdeath on December 12, 2009, 08:55:52 PM
I knew it would not happen but on the Video Game Awards Creeper World was not on it. I was kind of dissapointed because they even had a best independent game award. I just was thinking about what kind of publicity that Creeper World would get if It was on the VGAs... It would probably be nice to have this game on it.

Not to mention double its current community. Can you imagine the maps submitted per day? More ales the people who sign up to it.
~Pew Pew Pew!~ 
Building campaigns from the echos of forgotten experiences.
~Pew Pew Pew!~

Mrmcdeath

Omg Virgil would have to hire somebody just to get all of the maps onto the page.
Life Lesson #1
Life Lesson #2

knucracker

True.

You know Creeper World has been an interesting experience.  Actually publishing an indie game is interesting.....  I love creating games that I like to play... I'd do it even it nobody ever played (er, I have done it and nobody played :).  So for me it is like painting, sculpting, composing....  at the end of the day I do it as a creative outlet and I really don't give a flip if anybody else likes it or not.  This is my passion, not my income.  If people don't like what I do, it's their failing not mine :)

But.... when people do like what I do, that is pretty cool too.  It only ever adds to the joy of creation.

Anyway, I'll be rolling CW:TS out to as many places as I can.  As I do, more and more people will come... so fret not, CW's busiest days are yet to come.

Aurzel

maybe its time you split the submitted maps into categories like:
campaigns (and maybe a sub section for miscellanious and any campaign that runs for more than say 5 maps)
unusual maps that challenge you to think and act outside the normal boundaries of the game
challenges, maps that are tough to figure out but not necessarily hard to win
etc

haloguy48

Quote from: Aurzel on December 13, 2009, 07:14:53 AM
maybe its time you split the submitted maps into categories like:
campaigns (and maybe a sub section for miscellanious and any campaign that runs for more than say 5 maps)
unusual maps that challenge you to think and act outside the normal boundaries of the game
challenges, maps that are tough to figure out but not necessarily hard to win
etc

I like.  ;D
~Pew Pew Pew!~ 
~Pew Pew Pew!~

knucracker

This is a pretty good idea....
Perhaps we can discuss what the "attributes" could be.  If we come up with a list of attributes, I can associate them with each map.  So two possibilities could be:

campaign (part of a series of maps)
puzzle (easy to win once you figure them out)

Now the trick with attributes is that there needs to be enough of them so that every map that gets submitted can have one or more attributes.  Everybody will want to make a map that gets one or more attributes.  The attributes need to be something that actually differentiates the maps as well.  An attribute called "fun" is too generic and you could argue that it belongs on all maps.  Lastly, the chosen attributes will tend to guide people in the kinds of maps that they make.  For instance having a "campaign" attribute encourages people to make campaign maps.

I like the idea, perhaps people on the forum can talk about the possible attributes and come up with some suggestions for what they'd like to see.  Feel free to make a new topic for this if you like.  If there is enough discussion, I'll make it sticky for a while.

haloguy48

Campaign-explains itself

Hardcore- the very hard maps

Beta- A map you want feedback on before completed (would have to say it in the description like :BETA: or something)

Air Assaults- A map with nothing but spores

Ground Assaults- A map with nothing but emitters

Regular- A map that has both spores and emitters

Its over 9000!- An easy map, it can be beat easily before losing 9000 points on it... :P

Strategy- A map that requires more thinking and careful planning of placed buildings (an example would be my Maze lvl1, or any other map that you need to be careful how you place stuff due to limited space/limited time/etc)

Unbeatable- Explains itself... They are still fun though :P

Rushing- A map your supposed to build to the totems as fast as possible

Pre-Built - a map with buildings already placed

Just some ideas....
~Pew Pew Pew!~ 
~Pew Pew Pew!~

Mrmcdeath

Life Lesson #1
Life Lesson #2

Aurzel

i like those two, we should use those and then its not like the categories cant be changed

Dranar

Quote from: haloguy48 on December 13, 2009, 10:31:56 AM
Its over 9000!- An easy map, it can be beat easily before losing 9000 points on it... :P

Hah, you've played DragonBall Z?

Anyway, alot of people use kongregate, and alot of people I know have bought the game.

I'll maybe do some advertising on some other game forums.
The Reactor - The Reactor of all Reactors

knucracker

Much appreciated!  Everything that spreads the word helps.

Dranar

Well i've gotten 1 person playing it now. Dunno if he bought it. So, how many sales have you gotten so far?
The Reactor - The Reactor of all Reactors