Custom Map #1547: Omni 3. By: FOXX

Started by AutoPost, July 26, 2020, 11:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOXX

Quote from: Ash on August 05, 2020, 09:09:17 PM
Loved the map and look forward to every map FOXX makes.

The map seems to glitch sometimes when I replay it.  With the 6th lock open, when I open 7 (with 1,2 and 3 closed), sometimes the mire power is greatly diminished and I can't push through 7.  Behind lock 6, all the locks are open.  There are mire spawners adding up to 248, plus I have 17 omnis.  And, I still can't push the 86 power mire spawner behind lock 7 for some reason.  I'm trying to attach screenshot.

I can send you a save (if you can tell me how) and maybe you can discover what causes this.  Might help with future maps.  Also, could be I did something wrong, and I'd love to know what that is.

Thanks again for the great maps FOXX.

Hi Ash,

Nice you liked the map :)

In setup on image the Omni's between the 1 bridge and 3 bridge are closed off from the maze. Also if you look close the Top landparts are not connected to the maze. To make this (very) clear i drew a red line through those landparts.

And i made a note where to place the Omni's. With the same bridge setup as in the image that should work.

Greets
FOXX

The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

Ash

Thanks for the reply FOXX.  Yeah that's exactly what I had to do to get through the map on my longer playthroughs.  Where I got fooled is that once or twice, the top landmass seemed to be connected somehow, because I was able to open multiple locks in the maze simultaneously.  I was able to complete the map in around 30 minutes when that occurred cuz I flew through the maze part very quickly with all the power of the top landmass.  Not sure how to reproduce that but I might have a save of it.

Basically, on my 34 min playthrough, I didn't have to move the omnis at all.  I was able to close 1,2,3, open 6, open 7 and push right through it. ,Then as I proceeded through the maze, I was opening more than one lock at a time and easily knocking the red back.  I flew through the maze in half the time.  I had a lot of power somehow on that run, and thought it was intended.  That must be the real glitch. :)

Keep them coming FOXX.  Your maps are really great. :)

Ash

FOXX

Quote from: Ash on August 06, 2020, 09:54:11 AM
Thanks for the reply FOXX.  Yeah that's exactly what I had to do to get through the map on my longer playthroughs.  Where I got fooled is that once or twice, the top landmass seemed to be connected somehow, because I was able to open multiple locks in the maze simultaneously.  I was able to complete the map in around 30 minutes when that occurred cuz I flew through the maze part very quickly with all the power of the top landmass.  Not sure how to reproduce that but I might have a save of it.

Basically, on my 34 min playthrough, I didn't have to move the omnis at all.  I was able to close 1,2,3, open 6, open 7 and push right through it. ,Then as I proceeded through the maze, I was opening more than one lock at a time and easily knocking the red back.  I flew through the maze in half the time.  I had a lot of power somehow on that run, and thought it was intended.  That must be the real glitch. :)

Keep them coming FOXX.  Your maps are really great. :)

Ash
Welcome Ash.
Nice to hear you got it done. And thanks for the compliment, in my free time i am slowly but surely making new maps :)

Greets
FOXX

The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

Cradok

I feel I'm doing something wrong here. I've cleared the whole map except the final two 160 mire spawners, and I just can't clear them. It takes all the omnis to start making a dent, by which point they start to die and I can't replace them fast enough.

stdout

Spoiler
You don't have the space to land all your omnis on each piece of land so you'll need to use neighboring cannons (from nearby omnis and ships) to start clearing existing enemy mire. This will help relieve some burden to the omnis that you place on the enemy land.
[close]

Cradok

That worked. I had assumed the two parts were connected, which was where I was going wrong.

CyberDyneSystems

I made the same mistake thinking the two final land masses were connected, and had to go way back to fix my mistake,.

Foxx, loved it. took me ages,.
The a-b and C-D omni paths converging was a new twist,. and all the gate work was a step above the "norm"
Truly a fun puzzle.
The twin dopples at the end of the map protecting the flanks, these were evil genius! I've never had so much trouble knocking out a dopple!

Thanks for another fantastic map!

FOXX

Quote from: CyberDyneSystems on August 16, 2020, 07:35:10 PM
I made the same mistake thinking the two final land masses were connected, and had to go way back to fix my mistake,.

Foxx, loved it. took me ages,.
The a-b and C-D omni paths converging was a new twist,. and all the gate work was a step above the "norm"
Truly a fun puzzle.
The twin dopples at the end of the map protecting the flanks, these were evil genius! I've never had so much trouble knocking out a dopple!

Thanks for another fantastic map!
Yeah, this map turned out being not so straightforward as the other Omni maps.
As i make these ideas come and go and i try to make it work when i filled up the map with ideas.

Nice you enjoyed the map and Omni 4 is in the works ;)

Greets
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

toolforger

Finally I get around to writing something.

Very nice map, some room for improvement (but still overall good):

- Land connections are often too hard to correctly see.
-- The number of people opening the wrong gates is an indicator :-)
-- Also, you can't see that the final landmass is split in two, so you approach it wrongly.
- The omni strength seems to vary on the top/bottom lanes, and while gate mishaps explain some of that, I still have the impression the resistance varies due to other factors. In particular, I could easily push on the A lane with just a single omnis (slowly but that's okay), but when I removed that omni because needed elsewhere and the trying to re-push on A, I suddenly needed more omnis. It was not a big deal as I had more omnis anyway, but it was inconsistent.
- As you probably already know, having to mire 100% means players need to go chasing that final single unmired land pixel just to finish, which can be frustrating. The particle spawner will eventually mire it on its own, so players will finish anyway, which is good... but without knowing how or why, which again can be frustrating. (I see you requiring just 99% mire on other maps, so I guess you already know.)