Particle Fleet Idea

Started by invaderhive, January 12, 2016, 04:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

invaderhive

I noticed something about the creeper world campaign. There were people who complained the campaign was too easy and others saying Farbor made them rage at the game. I personally beat Farbor the second time after refining my strategy. I think the best way to solve the issue of people complaining a campaign is too easy or some levels are impossible is having multiple difficulty levels of the campaign. All you need is a normal and hard mode. Everybody will be satisfied.

TLFP

Quote from: invaderhive on January 12, 2016, 04:49:17 AM
I noticed something about the creeper world campaign. There were people who complained the campaign was too easy and others saying Farbor made them rage at the game. I personally beat Farbor the second time after refining my strategy. I think the best way to solve the issue of people complaining a campaign is too easy or some levels are impossible is having multiple difficulty levels of the campaign. All you need is a normal and hard mode. Everybody will be satisfied.
I concur, but there MUST be separate scoring for that.  ;D
Currently ghosting, don't mind me.
Christian, my list of various content creation groups can be found here

J

The problem with CW3 was that it never pushed the player to do any offensive assault quickly before farbor. Just make sure the importance of quickly doing something rises gradually instead of only one level. I'd call it teaching players how to play, which is more important than it looks. Having multiple difficulty levels make my OCD go crazy, as I want to finish every single possible official level and therefore finish the story on each difficulty mode even though I should only play the hardest mode.

TLFP

Quote from: J on January 12, 2016, 11:15:37 AM
The problem with CW3 was that it never pushed the player to do any offensive assault quickly before farbor. Just make sure the importance of quickly doing something rises gradually instead of only one level. I'd call it teaching players how to play, which is more important than it looks. Having multiple difficulty levels make my OCD go crazy, as I want to finish every single possible official level and therefore finish the story on each difficulty mode even though I should only play the hardest mode.
Ok, that may work except you're going to have players who can't beat this one level and get stuck. I don't know how to counter that.

driesemol

It's a fairly easy thing to implement i think.. just raise the particle spawn rate and difficulty is higher. However it might just make the game longer instead of more difficult as you probably just have to wade through all these extra particles...
Stronger fields might also make things more challenging

cooltv27

I suggest adding a second optional objective (through story text, and more if you do manage to complete it) that requires you to be fast, each mission requiring you to be a little faster than the last one.

this gives no solid requirement to be fast unless you want to be, and gives non-competitive players a reason to learn to be fast earlier than the second to last level

I personally hated that about the games, that you can play like a turtle for the entire campaign until one mission, where you have to be aggressive.
uh oh here comes the creeper, QUICK GET SOME BLASTERS READY! wait, wait, wai, FIRE! IM ON FIRE! NO, NO, NO, GET AWA (the rest was taken by the creeper, taken back and eaten)
I has a youtube channel youtube.com/user/cooltv27

invaderhive

Quote from: driesemol on January 12, 2016, 06:15:22 PM
It's a fairly easy thing to implement i think.. just raise the particle spawn rate and difficulty is higher. However it might just make the game longer instead of more difficult as you probably just have to wade through all these extra particles...

I think the difficulty can be raised just by changing the energy supply and changing the behavior of the particles. Perhaps add a an interesting super structure that causes a power surge in the particles every once in a while. There are many options to increase difficulty without making it a grind. Farbor was difficult without it being a grind. I managed to beat Farbor on my second try but I usually play aggressively. Farbor did require me to think a lot about every move.

TLFP

Quote from: invaderhive on January 12, 2016, 08:50:06 PM
Quote from: driesemol on January 12, 2016, 06:15:22 PM

I think the difficulty can be raised just by changing the energy supply and changing the behavior of the particles. Perhaps add a an interesting super structure that causes a power surge in the particles every once in a while. There are many options to increase difficulty without making it a grind. Farbor was difficult without it being a grind. I managed to beat Farbor on my second try but I usually play aggressively. Farbor did require me to think a lot about every move.
I beat Farbor by doing one thing: save save save. You could probably decrease how much energy you have on hard mode. That would mean you have to be more aggressive to gain more energy.