Blasters on Patrol

Started by Karsten75, January 13, 2010, 09:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

Since every dumb suggestion possible is being made for CW, here's mine. A moving blaster. THis blaster can be set to patrol a line of terrain between two collectors. It will move between the two collectors and if it encounters anycreeper it wil lfire until it's weapons are exhausted, when it gets to a collector, it will refuel and go back on patrol. So one or more blasters can be set to patrol a potential incursion point to contain the creeper.

Such a tower can aso be nicely upgraded, since one can increase its ammo store to enable to to fight for longer.

Aurzel

i'm assuming this is sarcasm

haloguy48

Quote from: Aurzel on January 13, 2010, 09:51:09 AM
i'm assuming this is sarcasm

agreed, this would have a lot of bad influence with the game. Then you could move blasters between the board if you have each side conquered.
~Pew Pew Pew!~ 
Building campaigns from the echos of forgotten experiences.
~Pew Pew Pew!~

Capn Trey

I don't really think we need this.

However, I have asked myself why the blaster doesn't fire as it travels if it has a full energy store.

knucracker

Once upon a time in mid development they did fire while in flight.  But, i discovered that made it too easy to just fly them all around on little aerial blaster runs.  Firing only while landed means you have to land them somewhere safe, or you have to pay the price of weapon damage if you drop them into a lake... and this is a price you can only pay so much of before the blaster pops.  A fairly small thing, but it adds a little bit to the strategic use of the weapons.  Mythology wise, you can say that the weapon system is offline while the anti-grav engines are on.

Aurzel

if you want a realistic reason there's a number of them:
the blaster's turret cant aim down far enough to aim at the creeper while in flight
to fire the weapon requires stability which the anti-gravs of the blasters cant provide (i.e. if it shoots it will wobble uncontrollably)
the internal energy source used to power the turret's aiming system and maybe stabilisers/cooling system need to be diverted to navigation and anti-grav

Capn Trey

I can see how it would be unbalanced to let them fire while shooting... and thanks for the in-game explanation too.

Aurzel

think you mean fire while moving lol