Faster Gameplay

Started by sargun, January 11, 2010, 07:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sargun

I wish there was a fast forward mode where everything would go by a bit faster. I usually have setup a network, and have to wait around for 2-3 minutes until it's done building before I can move on. I've seen other TD games where can set gameplay speed 100-500% more than normal.

Siccles

if you have to wait for your network to setup you are probably doing something wrong.

For example you should never ever build more buildings at the same time than your energy production can sustain (otherwise they will be built slower, which will cost you alot of time in the long run)

At the start you can build 2 collectors at the same time (even 3 if the position allows it) because you have 20 energy in the storage +a production of 0,8, but afterwards when you have no reserves left, if you try to build 2 collectors at the same time again (with a production of around 1,2) you will lose energy and time, you wouldve had if you built them one after the other

IdealIdeas

Already suggested this idea

Kamron3

Its been suggested to have a "Fast forward" button, things to have faster gameplay.

In all actuality, I think it would make the game less appealling(at least to me anyway) because people could beat levels w/in 5 minutes that should take over an hour.

Besides your CPU Usage would SKYROCKET with a fast forward building/option.

_k

Karsten75

Quote from: Kamron3 on January 11, 2010, 08:21:31 AM
Its been suggested to have a "Fast forward" button, things to have faster gameplay.

In all actuality, I think it would make the game less appealling(at least to me anyway) because people could beat levels w/in 5 minutes that should take over an hour.

Besides your CPU Usage would SKYROCKET with a fast forward building/option.

_k

Everything in the game, including the game clock, would speed up at the same rate, so it would not benefit those players choosing it.

As for skyrocketing CPU, why do you think some us us (but not me) buy top of the  line gaming rigs? To play games faster!  :P

sargun

A) Why would the game CPU sky rocket? Part of me must ask why a simple TD taxes the CPU so much, but then I remembered we're using an adobe product (air runtime).. Anyways, I imagine that if you continued to render the game at the current speed, just sped up packets, and the timer, you shouldn't get a huge CPU increase.

B) This is true, you could finish levels in 20 minutes that normally that take you an hour because I currently have to wait 30 second-1 minute before each relay is complete. Waiting is stupid. I realize there is a certain "experience" associated with the slow gameplay, but I, personally, don't find the appeal.

Joykill

If you have to wait for 30 secs for a relay to be built, you really really need some speedboosters, or better energy management, cant tell how long it takes normally (as in, enough energy, no speed boost) but 30 secs seems really long... then again, might be me going totally wrong here...

Aurzel

joykill speeds dont speed up how long it takes to build something, it speeds up packet speed not packet production, and virgil did consider a speed up option but his thinking was much the same as kam, he thought it woulf affect the experience in a negative way

sargun

Alright, I get it, 90% of people don't want this. I don't exactly have much money to spare, but I'll volunteer, say $15 to this feature? Maybe a cheat code or something?

Kamron3

The reason it skyrockets sooooooooooooooooo much is because of all the mathematical calculations and Creeper pools and stuff it has to do all in a second.

_k

wicherh

Kamron3, most games dont work like that, they dont make then the calculation 5 times, but just do it like this: You get a variable how much time passed, so you do then Packet.Position += speed * timepassed. So you wont have to do this 5 times, but just once.

Karsten75

Quote from: wicherh on January 13, 2010, 12:27:49 PM
Kamron3, most games dont work like that, they dont make then the calculation 5 times, but just do it like this: You get a variable how much time passed, so you do then Packet.Position += speed * timepassed. So you wont have to do this 5 times, but just once.

Written many graphics-intensive games, have you?

Aurzel

actually it was virgil that's told us this business, kar's quoting what virgil said in his own words

wicherh

ooow yea maybd
i code in XNA and there almost no limits on max calculations. So not so graphics intense that it cant handle it. But i forgot that he codes each frame and not with a timefactor (at lag decreases game speed) so it would be difficult to implement.