Some Possiblilites

Started by RG, January 05, 2010, 07:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RG

Here are a couple of possible additions I have thought of:

-Movable but inefficient relays and energy stores
The basic idea here is to have movable relays to support mass invasion tactics. However, because this would clearly be a huge advantage two things would be different. First off, they would cost significantly more than other relays, second only 3/4 or 2/3 of the packets that pass through these relays would actually reach their destination. If you were to try and invade deep into enemy territory this would quickly add up, forcing players to only use them when absolutely necessary.
The other way to go would be likewise movable energy stores that could be sent near buildings or turrets to supply their stored energy. This could also be done so that it takes 4 packets to create 3 stored packets.

-Moving emitters
One thing that might add a new element of strategy is if emitters could move. They could be made to follow a preset path, seek out player structures, or try to escape player weapons.
One type I thought would be interesting would be a moving emitter that will constantly seek out the center of the creeper coverage. Or better yet it would be off set from the center of the creeper coverage in the direction of Odin city, this would mean that the creeper are actively seeking out Odin city instead of just filling the map. this would also mean that if the player killed enough of the creeper near the city then the emitter would be pushed back.

-Creeper AA
Sometimes it seems a little easy when drones give the player total air superiority over the creeper, thus I suggest making the creeper somehow able to to shoot down drones. I don't think something that kills everything such as SAMs but if there was some system where the creeper had a 15% chance or so of shooting down every drone that flew over, then the uncertainty over their success would make players much more cautious about sending out drones.

-Smaller elevation levels
I don't necessarily want higher elevations, but smaller steps. It seems as though if the creeper has to go up a single elevation then it is too easily held back by a single mortar. It would be interesting to see places where the creeper can advance after only reaching 2 or 3 layers. But this would also make building more difficult if the level was covered with tons of different elevations so I think that buildings and turrets should be able to cover small height differences if this is implemented.

I may have had more that I forgot but these are the main ones.

mothwentbad

Yes, and the mobile relays should have some health, because if it's already cleared out where they're landing, then why not just build a stationary one? Stringing a few mobiles together and landing a bunch of blasters all at once in the middle of the creep would be a nice way to mix up the blitz, and exponential decline in energy efficiency would be a suitable penalty. Maybe if they could store a certain amount (at a penalty) and relay at the same time it would be helpful. This is probably the easiest thing to program, too, but I'm just conjecturing based on very little programming experience.

knucracker

Good idea for an advanced unit....
With mobile relays and/or collectors you could take you base with you :)

Avest

I love the idea of movable relays, energy stores and emitters :P

Aurzel

indeed the moveable relays would really help the 'fly blasters in to cap emiters' strat

Karsten75

Quote from: Aurzel on January 07, 2010, 08:50:55 AM
indeed the moveable relays would really help the 'fly blasters in to cap emiters' strat

At the same time, that makes the game easier to play - it changes the game dynamics. Adding features to a game should not be about how to make it easier to beat the game, but to add additional options to the game.

A lot of what people ask for is simply things to make it easier to beat the game. It's like playing chess and asking for a "nuclear piece" that can take out the king when you promote a pawn. It changes the game and doesn't make it chess anymore.

Think how many maps you will simply ace by flying in emitters blasters with movable resources attached to them. so yea, then people will create different maps, but that's not the point of CW is it?

ETA: Fixed a typo.

RG

I'd like to point out that I don't know if any these changes should be put into creeper world now. But I think they would be good for some sort of expansion or creeper world 2.

Quote from: Karsten75 on January 07, 2010, 11:04:18 AM

At the same time, that makes the game easier to play - it changes the game dynamics. Adding features to a game should not be about how to make it easier to beat the game, but to add additional options to the game.

A lot of what people ask for is simply things to make it easier to beat the game. It's like playing chess and asking for a "nuclear piece" that can take out the king when you promote a pawn. It changes the game and doesn't make it chess anymore.

Think how many maps you will simply ace by flying in emitters with movable resources attached to them. so yea, then people will create different maps, but that's not the point of CW is it?

Which is why I tried to balance it out by suggesting the relays be inefficient. If, for instance you do try to cap a distant emitter by flying in a bunch of mortars and blasters but you need two movable relays to reach them. Then those weapons are suddenly taking more than double the energy they would normally need, this would be an incredibly easy way to put your starvation through the roof and completely wreck you plan if you are not careful. To get it to work, you would need to build an even more massive economy then normal which would not help your score.

I wouldn't suggest adding both movable relays and stores to the game. In fact I think that the relays idea is much better. (Movable stores would be sort of redundant, don't weapons already have energy attached to them?)

Speaking of nuclear pieces, doesn't the game already have one? ;)
Yet it is still fun, as people can either turn off Thor or make it hard to get to in order to change the strategy of the game (Contrary to the belief about what is and what isn't the point of Creeper World, the game has no set strategy. Some maps call for mass invasion tactics while some call for leapfrogging, some call for capping all emitters while some prefer you to sneak around on high ground to all of the totems using minimal forces, some give you an easily defended position with which to build your forces while others leave you frantically fighting in a wide open area).
Giving new tech possibilities will not instantly make the game easier, it will only leave room for you to face different maps with different strategies. (No, I do not think any of these techs should be instantly added to any of the existing maps)

As for your last point I don't know if you misread, but last I checked emitters are the bad buys  :-\
Allowing them to move would not make the game any easier. (really, how do you plan on capping a moving emitter?)

Karsten75

Quote from: RG on January 07, 2010, 07:14:02 PM

As for your last point I don't know if you misread, but last I checked emitters are the bad buys  :-\
Allowing them to move would not make the game any easier. (really, how do you plan on capping a moving emitter?)

No, brain fart (am I allowed to say that here?) I meant "Blasters, of course.  Fixed the original in a way that the error still shows so as to not invalidate your comment.