Started by AutoPost, October 18, 2023, 01:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #10924: 244-Neuroflash

Author: Rennervate / AlexX
Size: 255x255

Desc:

Loren Pechtel

Once again, you've come up with one where I have no idea of how to proceed.  Center, easy, but I see no way to attack anything else.  The spores look like they could be sprayer-bombed but I don't have enough place to deploy that many sprayers.

stdout

Loren, it's doable. The screenshot here might show you some ideas of how to get a toehold.

10924.png

Loren Pechtel

With enough firepower upgrades that worked.  Got enough space to defend myself before the really big towers came online.

goodyosef

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this map!
I really liked the massive spore tower threat, and being limited in my number of units made completing the map much more interesting and challenging than my usual endgame strategy of "massed fire and near-infinite power."
That being said, I did eventually hit critical mass, and then killing off the remaining emitters became a bit of a chore. Not sure if I'd recommend smaller maps, even stricter unit limitations, or something else to keep the adrenaline flowing, but I've noticed the same problem in other offerings by the creator, so figured I'd make a post. New to the site, and if there's a way to directly DM them, I'm missing it, so this seemed the best way to speak up!

Some *very* respectfully offered criticism, if the creator happens to read this:
Your recent maps (especially this one) has given me some of my favorite opening fights in all the years I've played this game, but eventually I've effectively won and neutralized all legitimate threats, but still need to go kill about a million remaining emitters and it goes from "edge of my seat exciting" to feeling like I'm taking out the trash after the New Years Eve party. I'd love a map by you that keeps those threats rolling, or makes solving the endgame problem more difficult in some way. And above all else, keep designing. These maps rock!

rennervate

Quote from: goodyosef on October 27, 2023, 12:05:07 AMJust wanted to say how much I enjoyed this map!
I really liked the massive spore tower threat, and being limited in my number of units made completing the map much more interesting and challenging than my usual endgame strategy of "massed fire and near-infinite power."
That being said, I did eventually hit critical mass, and then killing off the remaining emitters became a bit of a chore. Not sure if I'd recommend smaller maps, even stricter unit limitations, or something else to keep the adrenaline flowing, but I've noticed the same problem in other offerings by the creator, so figured I'd make a post. New to the site, and if there's a way to directly DM them, I'm missing it, so this seemed the best way to speak up!

Some *very* respectfully offered criticism, if the creator happens to read this:
Your recent maps (especially this one) has given me some of my favorite opening fights in all the years I've played this game, but eventually I've effectively won and neutralized all legitimate threats, but still need to go kill about a million remaining emitters and it goes from "edge of my seat exciting" to feeling like I'm taking out the trash after the New Years Eve party. I'd love a map by you that keeps those threats rolling, or makes solving the endgame problem more difficult in some way. And above all else, keep designing. These maps rock!

Thank you for playing my maps and the time you took to write your review.
I'm well aware that it always gets a bit monotonous in the end. but as my friend Martin says here: that's how CW3 works. I don't know exactly how to work around this problem either. A tip might be that you don't have to play through the map to the end. I think your criticism is great! However, I make the cards primarily for myself and upload them after I've played through them. If you feel like it, you can play it or, as I said, just play the beginning or you can just leave it alone.
-------------------------------------------------------
aka: AlexX

goodyosef

Quote from: rennervate on October 27, 2023, 06:40:22 AM
Quote from: goodyosef on October 27, 2023, 12:05:07 AMJust wanted to say how much I enjoyed this map!

I'm well aware that it always gets a bit monotonous in the end. but as my friend Martin says here: that's how CW3 works. I don't know exactly how to work around this problem either. A tip might be that you don't have to play through the map to the end. I think your criticism is great! However, I make the cards primarily for myself and upload them after I've played through them. If you feel like it, you can play it or, as I said, just play the beginning or you can just leave it alone.

Thank you for replying. And I very much hope I didn't come off as complaining excessively, you are literally the first creator whose maps I specifically seek out! You've got a great style and imagination, and I really appreciate you sharing your creativity with all of us! This was my (perhaps misguided) effort at critique, not criticism, for a mapmaker whose craft I truly respect.

And yes, abandoning the maps once I've decided I've won is what I've been doing.

Just curious, have you ever experimented with inhibitors as an endgame option? I'm convinced inhibitors represent the answer, if applied properly, but so many maps by other creators just become "blow up the inhibitor early and end the game," I normally hate them. You're the first creator I could really see doing something interesting with them! Maybe post an inhibitor someplace really, really inaccessible and well defended, and make it so we have to capture virtually all possible tech scattered around the map before we'll have the strength to break through and take it out?

Just a notion, use it or ignore it as you like!

And thanks for the many hours of fun I'm having!

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: goodyosef on October 27, 2023, 03:09:53 PM

Thank you for replying. And I very much hope I didn't come off as complaining excessively, you are literally the first creator whose maps I specifically seek out! You've got a great style and imagination, and I really appreciate you sharing your creativity with all of us! This was my (perhaps misguided) effort at critique, not criticism, for a mapmaker whose craft I truly respect.

And yes, abandoning the maps once I've decided I've won is what I've been doing.

Just curious, have you ever experimented with inhibitors as an endgame option? I'm convinced inhibitors represent the answer, if applied properly, but so many maps by other creators just become "blow up the inhibitor early and end the game," I normally hate them. You're the first creator I could really see doing something interesting with them! Maybe post an inhibitor someplace really, really inaccessible and well defended, and make it so we have to capture virtually all possible tech scattered around the map before we'll have the strength to break through and take it out?

Thank you for this post. I've been trying to teach Renneverete aka Alex the word Inhibitor, but he is as resistant to that as cats are resistant to become friends with mice.

Rennervate aka Alex: repeat after me:

Martin: I...
Alex: I?

Martin: N...
Alex: N?

Martin: H...
Alex: long map with endless fight and millions of spores on limited land with no resources?

rennervate

As already written, I find your criticism good and very constructive and I thanked you for it.
And thank you for your kind words.

Perhaps i'll add one inhibitor in the next map. Maybe... or... Martin would like that... so I'd rather leave it alone
-------------------------------------------------------
aka: AlexX

goodyosef

Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on October 28, 2023, 02:23:29 AM

Thank you for this post. I've been trying to teach Renneverete aka Alex the word Inhibitor, but he is as resistant to that as cats are resistant to become friends with mice.

Rennervate aka Alex: repeat after me:

Martin: I...
Alex: I?

Martin: N...
Alex: N?

Martin: H...
Alex: long map with endless fight and millions of spores on limited land with no resources?

I mean, to be fair I love the millions of spores on limited land with no resources part! And I like how long it takes for me to get organized and start pushing outward because from the word "go" the creeper is parked on top of me, and getting stronger all the time. That's amazing, and it's hours of fun going "oh no, I forgo-*sound of me dying in a hail of creeper.*" It's just the last twenty minutes of every map that I struggle to maintain interest with, because I now have endless resources and can just murder *everything*, and the problem is that there is still a bajillion tiny little emitters I need to go hunt down and kill. I'd like to kill an inhibitor right about the same time I kill the majority of the spore launchers. Give me that, and I'll show you true happiness. Because once the spores are gone, the map is no longer a threat. And until then, I'm cursing the name of every god I've ever heard of as I fight through the endless hail of spores, and that's pure bliss for me.