Spore baiting

Started by Clean0nion, November 10, 2013, 03:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clean0nion

When there are spores and you have an unprotected zone... use SPORE BAITING!
My patented technique of using relays will bait those nasty spores!
Map: Domorthea (http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14571.0)

Fisherck

Relays take twice as much energy to build as collectors, which will generate energy for you, unlike relays. So you could use this same technique with collectors for half as much energy, but with a secondary use :)

And then of course, you could always just build a few Beams, which only cost 10 more energy than relays, and completely remove the probability of spores hitting something important ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Ninointeli

omg dude why so much relays ???
I would build collecters and make a small path of relays in the middle or somewhere else to speed up the packet speed.The CN sends anti creeper,ammo and packets through the relays you made first because they go faster from there.
But you taking up the space for relays instead of collectors D:

Anyway nice trick ;)
"Reach for the stars!,And if you don't grab them at least your top of the world!"

TLMike

Quote from: Fisherck on November 10, 2013, 03:56:19 PM
Relays take twice as much energy to build as collectors

Not on this map. He's changed Relay cost to 5, and Collector cost to 30. Also, the number of Collectors is limited. Also also, the spores on his map are CRPL generated, and may very well seek specific targets.

Clean0nion

Quote from: TLMike on November 10, 2013, 04:53:36 PM

Not on this map. He's changed Relay cost to 5, and Collector cost to 30. Also, the number of Collectors is limited. Also also, the spores on his map are CRPL generated, and may very well seek specific targets.

Thank you TLMike, that's exactly it. The spores choose a random unit so by grouping a ton of them together, the spores are less likely to hit more fragile areas.
This whole thing was just a coincidence that happened and I wanted to share it.

Ninointeli

Quote from: Clean0nion on November 10, 2013, 05:39:45 PM
Quote from: TLMike on November 10, 2013, 04:53:36 PM

Thank you TLMike, that's exactly it. The spores choose a random unit so by grouping a ton of them together, the spores are less likely to hit more fragile areas.

Oh...... :o
"Reach for the stars!,And if you don't grab them at least your top of the world!"

TLMike

I have no doubt that the targets are random; I have played the map. I simply wanted to point out some flawed logical thinking going on. One should never make assumptions based on "known" data, especially if that data is known to be variable.
And, obviously, under normal circumstances, Collectors would probably be better.

Clean0nion

Quote from: TLMike on November 11, 2013, 07:16:23 AM

I have no doubt that the targets are random; I have played the map. I simply wanted to point out some flawed logical thinking going on. One should never make assumptions based on "known" data, especially if that data is known to be variable.
And, obviously, under normal circumstances, Collectors would probably be better.
God no! Collectors wouldn't produce a huge blue stain on the map!

JF-T

Yeah, when you think about it, eliminating relays would give a better strategic advantage to the creeper, if they could hit it that is. while a collector give energy, it can only give at most 0.4 energy if not PZ'd or no energy efficiency is had, also it might give 0.5 if every cell can generate but when we're talking a massive collector field, that's about 0.3 per collector if you wanna cover every cell with the good stuff, whereas relays move packets at twice the speed and cover twice the distance, therefore more efficient for packet relaying.

Just think it this way... The Creeper and The Loki have fought mankind for generations. they've both found ways to adapt to eachother, and not just in tech either :)

Just saying, not sure if that makes any sense or not xD
Can't do ANY MapMod stuff due to losing my copy of CW1/2. Also known as Commander-Strife, IIIStrife, and StormyFacade.

CW2 Custom Maps

4xC

It would be nice if the spore towers noticably had smart targeting methods so that potential spore attacks would be more interesting to deal with. For example, cutting off those vital relays, hitting a large energy farm, beam-less regions populated by your units, otherwise defenseless unit groups, etc.

If it already does, I haven't heard about it.
C,C,C,C

TLMike

Maybe someone could write a script that looks for the number of connections between TargetA and the CN which provides its packets. Then the spore would target a Relay/Collector which provides the connection, thus removing the supply of packets to the front lines.

Just some thoughts. Not even sure if it's possible. You know, since I don't know CRPL.

pawel345

Maybe if one could check the number of packets that use a relay, as the packet travel algorithm should have the nodes through which the packets go? but that would be a new CPRL function and up to V to implement i guess.

Clean0nion

I'm surprised nobody's commented on the two app icons I removed from my taskbar in the screenshot.

TLMike

You realize everyone's is different? And no two models of computer come with the same software? And no one probably cares at all?

Just saying.

Lost in Nowhere

And, just saying, I can only see one.

And you have both Minecraft launchers!
Don't die! :)