Custom Map #427: Pulsar

Started by AutoPost, November 07, 2011, 03:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #427: Pulsar

Author: Eudrick

Desc:
Another Star mission. This one is stable but....

SmileyCoder

Whats the point of a 1k holocube? Took ages to "gather" it.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

eudrick

That's the point.  Did you not take note in the intro about the HEAVY SHIELDING?  If one cares to rush the map it's at a cost of the extra energy
Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love, Robert A. Heinlein

UmberGryphon

Quote from: eudrick on November 07, 2011, 06:47:24 PM
If one cares to rush the map it's at a cost of the extra energy

Unfortunately, because it's a holocube, you can't win without collecting it.  So people who ignore it and rush the map have to wait for the 1000 energy to get fed into the holocube one at a time.

eudrick

Granted and MEA CULPA.   :'(  However, if one plans their energy usage while building infrastructure then the contents of the cube become available at the approximate time of optimum use.  Regular players of my maps may have noticed that I tend to utilize the Crystal Energy overclock (and some of my maps are unwinnable without it).

DDarkJared

So I collected the holocube and destroyed the emitters but the game doesn't end?  How do you finish it?

eudrick

Have you eradicated ALL the creeper?  Look at your radar bar on the right side of the screen.  Or did you not pick up the C-Bomb tech?

Kithros

The holocube takes waaay too long to pick up - I started picking it up really early, and I still had to wait for a long time for it to finish (it's possible to pick up the conversion bomb tech in under 2 minutes, and 2 conversion bombs is enough to pretty much clear up all the creeper if you get them in position) - and as far as having 'extra energy' goes.. you realize the holocube costs more energy to pick up than it gives out right? With conversion bombs there is absolutely no need to go past 60 energy per second, 10 energy per second was far more than enough for me to win it.

Pretty much getting a good time on this map means starting to pick up the holocube as fast as possible, because everything else can easily be done within the time it takes to pick it up.

Katra

I ended up waiting THREE AND A HALF MINUTES for that holocube to charge after clearing the last creeper.

This can be won with 4 or 5 makers, a dozen blasters, and a few conversion bombs. (I used 5; 4 to convert the entire star at once, and one for the creeper surrounding the AC emitter.)
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

DDarkJared

QuoteHave you eradicated ALL the creeper?  Look at your radar bar on the right side of the screen.

Nothing on the right side other than anti-creeper.

First note that pops up when loading says "Collect all remaining Holocubes, Capsules, and techs."

UGHH...found the last tech.....creeper bomb....now I have to replay it....darn.....
How the heck did I miss that?

eudrick

OK OK chalk it up to a learning experience (you only learn from the mistakes you make).  I'll try to do a better job  :-\  I would, however, like to know if , overall, my maps are improving.

Nate Dog

I actually very much enjoyed this map. My second time through I knew about the holocube and after that started collecting, the rest of the level feels very relaxed since there's a "minimum time" you can get. I also used a total of 0 weapons (excluding nullifiers obviously) to complete the level and still got a good score. That asteroid full of AC is there for a reason.

DethbyIT

Very enjoyable map - but I should have paid closer attention to the comments. Everything you need to know about a fast time is posted above.

Had a fun time and looking forward to the next one(s).
Thanks,
dbit