Difficult optional challenges.

Started by Courtesy, June 16, 2014, 12:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Courtesy

Why don't we create difficult optional challenges for maps for others to do?
In order to post a challenge, do post proof that the challenge is possible, to avoid trolling for those possibly seeking chalenges.

My challenge, to start things off, is for Virgil's map "Aether".
Challenge Name: Positionally Challenged
Challenge Map: Alpha Sector: Virgil: Aether
Challenge: Place your command node at this location and do not move it at any point.

Second attachment is directly after I've actually broken out of this trap.

Xeneonic

Hey man, that's actually an awesome concept you got going. I've always been trying to find hard maps to play, especially with hard CRPL enemies. Putting in certain restrictions on certain maps like the one you posted will definitely make for awesome challenges! I have to go soon, but will definitely see what I can do with your concept when I get back!

Edit: Your challenge is what I actually did from start to end the first time around. But here I tried it again and had no issues so far stabilizing as you can see below. Should be easy from here on out to win.

4xC

Challenge idea: make a map based of of this one with the only significant difference being the inclusion of Runners.
C,C,C,C

FishintehPond

Play any given map blind/nearly blind.

Flabort

My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

Asbestos

Spoiler
Challenge: Finish Arca before the Arc is fully built.
[close]
It's completely possible, because there are videos for it. You'll even get an achievement.

Flabort

Ooh! Ooh! If a mapmaker wants to make a map with an optional challenge!

#Initialize any $vars nessesary for :Challenge here.
#Do not put a Once block here.
#This core must be placed outside the regular playing borders. Make sure it's visible.
#Make sure to set a core that destroys all enemy cores on map completion, so that this one is destroyed to get the reward.

IsPaused if

0 GetMouseButton if
GetMouseCell CurrentCoords Distance 5 lt if
TRUE ->ChallengeAccepted
self "main" 0 255 0 255 SetImageColor
endif
endif

else

<-ChallengeAccepted not if
Self 0 Destroy
endif

@Challenge

endif

:Awake
TRUE OperateWhilePaused
-?ChallengAccepted not if
FALSE ->ChallengeAccepted
Self "main" 255 0 0 255 SetImageColor
endif

:Destroyed
<-ChallengeAccepted if

#Put the result of the challenge here, for example
#ElapsedTime 2 div SetGameTime
#which would reward the player for taking the challenge by slashing their time in half

endif

:Challenge
Once
#Put the effect of the optional Challenge here
#Such as spawning an uber emitter somewhere
#Or enabling the Fog of War
#Or something
endonce

Using this script, you could make built in challenges of all sorts!
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

planetfall

"COLLECTOR" 0 SetBuildLimit
"RELAY" 0 SetBuildLimit
"GUPPY" 0 SetBuildLimit

The nomad challenge!
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

cooltv27

turn based challenge
1. build what you want 2. let the game run for 5 seconds, you can not interact in any way during this period, building changing fire modes, spending aether, building or anything 3. pause the game, repeat steps 1-3 until either victory or defeat
uh oh here comes the creeper, QUICK GET SOME BLASTERS READY! wait, wait, wai, FIRE! IM ON FIRE! NO, NO, NO, GET AWA (the rest was taken by the creeper, taken back and eaten)
I has a youtube channel youtube.com/user/cooltv27

4xC

Quote from: cooltv27 on June 24, 2014, 08:23:33 PM
turn based challenge
1. build what you want 2. let the game run for 5 seconds, you can not interact in any way during this period, building changing fire modes, spending aether, building or anything 3. pause the game, repeat steps 1-3 until either victory or defeat

Be specific; by "build what you want", do you mean place the unit down and wait for it to build, or place the unit and let the 5-second rule apply while it is building? And what about placement of units that will be built after others are built due to network connection and distance limitations?
C,C,C,C

transistor77777

Beat a map with only a fixed amount of pulse cannons, you cant build any other weapons besides nullifiers and will have to decide which areas need them the most

J

A nice challenge for terp lovers: Beat the map without terps :)
(if you don't know which maps to play, complete all arc eternal maps without terps)

Asbestos

For those with Positronic Brain - try to complete Brain in over 2 minutes. It's impossible once you've gotten used to tapping in numbers like crazy.

cooltv27

Quote from: 4xC on June 25, 2014, 01:26:49 AM
turn based challenge

Be specific; by "build what you want", do you mean place the unit down and wait for it to build, or place the unit and let the 5-second rule apply while it is building? And what about placement of units that will be built after others are built due to network connection and distance limitations?
I mean place down what you to build when you unpause, so let the 5 seconds rule apply
and as long as you dont interact with them while building, network connections and distance limitations are fine
uh oh here comes the creeper, QUICK GET SOME BLASTERS READY! wait, wait, wai, FIRE! IM ON FIRE! NO, NO, NO, GET AWA (the rest was taken by the creeper, taken back and eaten)
I has a youtube channel youtube.com/user/cooltv27

4xC

Quote from: cooltv27 on June 26, 2014, 08:56:45 AM
Quote from: 4xC on June 25, 2014, 01:26:49 AM
turn based challenge

I mean place down what you to build when you unpause, so let the 5 seconds rule apply
and as long as you dont interact with them while building, network connections and distance limitations are fine

So the unit-to-be-built does NOT have to be actively receiving packets during the 5 seconds after the unpause and unit placement?
C,C,C,C