Custom Map #1376: balance

Started by AutoPost, August 23, 2012, 09:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1376: balance

Author: mexxor

Desc:

peter

This is a fun map, I really enjoyed playing this one, there are many ways to play it and is one I will play several times to see if I can do better.

Well done.

SmileyCoder

Its a decent map, but I would have enjoyed a bit more of a challenge.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

koker93

Maps like this are more fun when the anti creeper builds up over time.  So if the fields had been pushing it forward instead of in random directions...

Mexxor

This was my first map with actions in it instead of only fields, so i did just try out some things, nothing more or less
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure."
― George Carlin

koker93

I liked it.  It was fun.  And it was certantly better than anything I could have designed...

Helper

This one took a long time to play, but stayed interesting the whole time.
Very nice to have a 'long' game that is still fun.

Mexxor

Well, it has to be fun, because if i get bored when i play my own map, i should not post it   ;D
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure."
― George Carlin

Helper

Quote from: Mexxor on August 25, 2012, 11:09:00 AM
Well, it has to be fun, because if i get bored when i play my own map, i should not post it   ;D

Great attitude!
(Not...unfortunately...shared with some mapmapkers who shall remain nameless.)

Mexxor

well, heres the thing as how i see it (please don't kill me for my not so really good english, for i'm dutch ;) ):
If you make a map, you have to have fun making it, playing it and letting it be played by others
If people like my maps, that just inspires me to make more maps like them
Also: I only like long maps, not too hard, not too easy, a bit medium maybe
Every room has to be tested so to see if the fields and or actions actually work as you want them to do.
If so, then i count it as a succesful one :)
― George Carlin

peter

As I stated right at the start, I liked this map as it was fun.

For me a map is fun when I complete it and want to play it again just to see if there is another way to do it.  If there is only one way to play a map it does not have any fun involved, it becomes tedious and boring.  A long map does have advantages as there can be different things happening in it while a short map can be limited.  But, a long map that is limited in playable variances is still just a long boring map for me.

This is a long map, and as there are so many ways to play it, so many different strategies, that it becomes an adventure of many chapters.  I could play it 10 times and each time would be different.  THAT is what makes it a good fun map for me.

Mexxor

well , thank you, (hopes the next one will be as good as this one :) )
― George Carlin

Grauniad

Quote from: peter on August 25, 2012, 12:56:45 PM
For me a map is fun when I complete it and want to play it again just to see if there is another way to do it.  If there is only one way to play a map it does not have any fun involved, it becomes tedious and boring.  A long map does have advantages as there can be different things happening in it while a short map can be limited.  But, a long map that is limited in playable variances is still just a long boring map for me.

I think this is very well said. The only exception to the "one way to play" is if it is a puzzle-type map and one has to figure out a particular puzzle.  Or this map, one of my ATF maps. Not sure it works still, I believe someone mentioned a later game change broke it.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Mexxor

I myself like to go against creeper with AC, which is why i always make that possible, but its true, there has to be a choice for a map to be really fun, at least in most maps..
― George Carlin

Meander

One of the finest maps around.
Looking forward to your next one, a bit harder ;)