Custom Map #2343: [PAC] Cell to King. By: MAGNUS_VI

Started by AutoPost, September 16, 2021, 02:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2343: [PAC] Cell to King

Author: MAGNUS_VI
Size: 256x160

WGarrison

This would be way better if the sprayer in the upper right had always on turned off. The anticreeper from that corner becomes overwhelming very quickly unless you move the creeper hyper efficiently

Mr$Hyper$

Get in a stalemate at 10 minutes as endless waves of anti-creep swarm you. At most I was able to take the bottom 2 creep breeders till the ai rebuilt everything and gg.

Lame map don't play

Durikkan

Yeah, the start is a bit too grindy.  Plus seeing a low creeper cap on a map like that is always a discouraging sign as well because you know after you finally get the upper hand against the AC you'll be artificially limited by that, instead.
I'm known as Auri in cw4.

Snicker

Map felt great imo. been awhile since a good pac like this came by. little weird not being able to continue game after win. always looking forward towards another. :}

Freed

yes the beginning is a bit hard - but as soon as you get the breeders on the left (move fast and take the ern-cannons first), its not that hard anymore (even easier if you take two launcher and send skimmers from the breeder buttom left to the only connection of the hill, you'll have eggs, blobs and skimmers for free soon).
the creeper-cap never got me (to much anticreep=) but I played with 4*speed and move slowly with field generators (and as soon as I got 5launchers it becomes pretty easy to kill the fabric and slowly earning ern by ern.

Vuld_Edone

This is actually interesting.
Other PAC maps usually signal me where to go by having weak points. Here missing snipers, there no AA, elsewhere some breeder... or sometimes you meet an obstacle that you simply overwhelm with brute force. But not here. Here, I followed the path the breeders suggested and ended up stuck, trying to go uphill with crimson and stashes.
But what this map really expects is more knowledge of both fluid mechanics (since the terrain is very capricious and breeders are half the punch) and the tools available. It's only when I realized that my spores could overwhelm the AA that the map unlocked. 4-5 launchers are enough to take one missile down, 8+ exhaust the reddon production -- at which point you can directly bombard the hub, but where is the fun in that. The low cap is meant to keep the map interesting, strategic, even after that threshold is met.
Another thing I realized is I could put a lure where my spores were landing, rendering a half-dozen mortars harmless (and preventing, say, a portal from coming back).

So basically, this map is what I wanted from a PAC. Open-ended, reasonably challenging, strategic to the end (saturation aside) and forcing to use most of the tools available (though stashes/eggs turn out useless, so...).
But at the same time, I would have so easily rage quit had I followed what I thought back then was the right way and insisted on climbing that hill. The "broken" tag didn't help. Had I not tried something elsewhere -- mostly through desperation, I was convinced the spores would fail -- I too would have fallen to that map's trap.

So, ended up being my preferate PAC map, but the first impression was... wow.