What I would like to see in a future patch

Started by pawel345, October 05, 2013, 12:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teknotiss

Quote from: asmussen on January 22, 2014, 07:18:41 PM
I'd like to see a check box type option to change the behavior of terps so that they will concentrate on the closest points first, completing them to the full level specified by the player before moving on to further away points. The way it is now, if you want to terraform a large area efficiently, you have to micromanage the process by only selecting small amounts of terrain at a time so that the terps will complete that area before touching anything else. If you mark off a large area, it can be a long time before ANY of the areas get completed, when you could have been using that space for building as it was completed, instead. I don't think the default behavior necessarily needs to change, but I think it'd be a really nice feature to be able to toggle between that and a behavior that prioritizes the point selection more completely based on the proximity to the terp, so that when you want to, you could use a broad brush to paint a large area for 'terping', without seriously delaying the time until the first usable areas of land are finished.

i think i asked for something similar before, and i still want it too! seconded!
a terp one at a time, closest first option would be so much easier for my play style, and needen't interfere with those who prefer the micromanage style!
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Clean0nion

I just like seeing all the little numbers disappear. This new idea would be much more effective at achieving that.

asmussen

Shawn Asmussen

brerdawg

Yes! Very happy to see all the updates & new features; definitely, nice to be able direct the Terp's concentration on terrain modification; that will really help for me.

The item/feature I would like is to be able to move units in a line instead in a cluster; if this is currently possible, Yeah! that would be great; if it has already been suggested, I regret the redundancy, but then, I would also just second the suggestion. 

Currently, I usually double click & select a cluster (5 to 12) of one type of unit - most often, pulse cannons or mortars & click in another area where I want to advance the front or hold back the creeper's advance; then, I'll go back and get another cluster of units & move them closer to the front; this creates a group of clusters along the front, & while this is a workable solution, sometimes it would seem a lot easier to select a line or a cluster of units (either double click or Shift/Click) which are too far away from the front; then I would designate the new location similar to how we target Strafers and Bombers in a line; that is click once for the start of the Target move line, drag the mouse to the desired end point of the line & click a second time.  What would probably be different (and make programming the new feature more problematic) is the units would stretch out equidistant along the new line, & the player/commander of the campaign would have to adjust the point where to put the second click (the end of the Target line) - stretch it out too far, & you will not have sufficient coverage between units.  If the player selected different types of units, it would still be possible to do a linear move; granted, one would have to accept the chosen order that the units were dropped on the Target line; I guess the order of the new line could just depend on the order in which the units were selected initially.  The other thing would probably be the necessity to stretch out a line of relays or collector nodes to make sure your units do not starve for packets.

-----
Well, that's the idea & I hope something could eventually be worked out; thanks for listening (so to speak),

BrerDawg
-----

Clean0nion

Hold M, I think is the default key.
That just keeps the units in the same configuration.

teknotiss

a feature that creates screenshots automatically every (player defined) sec/mins would be really useful. especially for people who don't make game vids but like to help others
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

brerdawg

Quote from: Clean0nion on January 27, 2014, 07:24:28 PM
Hold M, I think is the default key.
That just keeps the units in the same configuration.

Thanks, Clean Onion; I did not know that option.  I went & tried that, & yes, I could see using M to move all selected units and keep the same layout.  The ability to stretch out a line (sort of like we do when we set targets for the Strafers & Bombers) would offer additional flexibility to adjust the distance between the units, but since we can already move units in the existing pattern using M, implementing an additional method would not seem to be a big priority if it happened at all.

-----
Thanks again; BrerDawg
-----

AnthoneyR

Hi,
having completed many maps in Prospector Zone and some in Tormented Space, I am really keen to see an overall leader board which sums the results of all worlds to rank players by how many high positions they have on individual worlds.

I believe this would greatly increase how much everyone plays these areas as there is an overall ranking. it should even be visible by default on the main page :)

Seriously, it would make me replay maps to beat my speed time!

In addition it would be create if you could click on each person's name in the list and see their rankings for each world. (and try to beat them!) as well as better your own.

;D

PS: be nice, this is my first post though I have played many many hours of CW3, CW2 and CW

Michionlion

I second Anthoney's suggestion - much like the tallied scores for the campaign, there should be a way to give scores to players in PZ and TS relative to other people's scores.  For instance, if you are always 1 in every single map you ever play, you should get a really high scores - but if other people have played the map too - more than x amount - that you should get a bonus for that.  I think this would make the high-scores competition much more fun.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Cavemaniac

Something like the above, but an occasional notification when someone beats your posted high score.

Like if you get knocked off the top slot, or nudged out of the top ten.

Then you could go back and try to improve your score.

If you're the first to play a map, you have no way of knowing if your score is any good - and you may never revisit that map without incentive.

Still hanging out for a 'today's random map suggestion' so old maps don't get buried and forgotten.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Mefi

Creeper World Evermore is something we can look at. There is map of day and past from some days but problem is that maps in CW3 can be big and when in CW:E play is not longer than half hour in CW3 can be much longer.

pawel345

No not a generated map but a highlighted custom map of the day. So that old custom maps also get played form time to time.

Clean0nion

Grauniad

Quote from: Cavemaniac on January 30, 2014, 01:55:36 AM

Still hanging out for a 'today's random map suggestion' so old maps don't get buried and forgotten.

Maybe you won't have to hang out (here that has a different meaning and we'd probably say "hang on") for much longer... :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Clean0nion

Quote from: Grauniad on January 30, 2014, 11:20:24 AM
Quote from: Cavemaniac on January 30, 2014, 01:55:36 AM

Maybe you won't have to hang out (here that has a different meaning and we'd probably say "hang on") for much longer... :)
Hoorah! More spoilers!