community map #5

Started by thepenguin, February 03, 2011, 07:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mthw2vc

Here's my next edit. Many things changed, but it is still the same map. I haven't had time to test yet.

EDIT: Tested. It is rather enjoyable, but might be too difficult.

mthw2vc

Idea for opening text:
QuoteYour museum of scenarios encountered on the great exodus is finally complete! You have worked long and hard on funding for the excavation, but you finally have a beautiful view of each world. With such perfect models... Oh no! The real creeper has actually appeared! Act quickly to save Odin City and the survival pods!
Thoughts?

Michionlion

Quote from: mthw2vc on March 11, 2011, 06:39:27 PM
Idea for opening text:
QuoteYour museum of scenarios encountered on the great exodus is finally complete! You have worked long and hard on funding for the excavation, but you finally have a beautiful view of each world. With such perfect models... Oh no! The real creeper has actually appeared! Act quickly to save Odin City and the survival pods!
Thoughts?

And here's the current one:

QuoteCan you remember the good old times?  Blasting creeper, fighting giant emitters, getting almost all of humanity killed?  Well then, here's a blast from the past, containing remnants from each of the worlds you saved, and the creeper destroyed again.  Return to old times and fight it out with the Loki.

Here's my latest edit:

(i tuned it down a lot, and now its a really fun fight  :) )
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Ebon Heart

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Michionlion

Quote from: Michionlion on March 11, 2011, 06:56:15 PM
Quote from: mthw2vc on March 11, 2011, 06:39:27 PM
Idea for opening text:
Thoughts?

And here's the current one:

QuoteCan you remember the good old times?  Blasting creeper, fighting giant emitters, getting almost all of humanity killed?  Well then, here's a blast from the past, containing remnants from each of the worlds you saved, and the creeper destroyed again.  Return to old times and fight it out with the Loki.

Here's my latest edit:

(i tuned it down a lot, and now its a really fun fight  :) )

yes, its sort of hard to advance, but it is deffinitly very fun.  so i say keep the strength of the emitters and terrain design.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

mthw2vc

I've adjusted the intervals of the emitters to synchronize them, but was very careful to keep their strength almost exactly the same. All survival pod detonations are within 1 second of when they were in the previous version if you do not do anything but fly the city.

mthw2vc

In the next version, would someone move the totem in the Pavo section 1 square to the right? At present, it is possible to avoid capping those emitters entirely with a relay. (Then again, you could do that in the original Pavo as well...)

EDIT: It is also possible to collect the artifact prematurely in the current version. This should be corrected.

Ebon Heart

fixed, totem in pavo moved, ara gives a 1 time only 30 intensity burst at the begining, and spore waves now all come from the right.

Ebon Heart

here we are, I can post this image in the comments, or wherever. It should help explain things to the confused. Can you tell how much time I spent on it?! XD

Michionlion

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on March 11, 2011, 11:30:50 PM
fixed, totem in pavo moved, ara gives a 1 time only 30 intensity burst at the begining, and spore waves now all come from the right.
well, the original plan was first spore wave at 8 mins from the left, (to throw the player off-guard) and then a reacuring one 4 mins apart from the right.  i thought that was ok...

really good pic btw bet we could find a reference for the pit after tarous and before cetus/fitch.  orion?
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Ebon Heart

A lot of players will build all their same on one side, depending on where the first spore wave came from, and get very pissed off when they come from the other direction and kill them.

Michionlion

thats what i mean.  i don't know about the pissed off part though... but it should be unpredictable.
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

mthw2vc

In the original story maps, the waves in Ursa came from random directions, so multidirectional waves are fine. Here is a complete list of all references I have gleaned from the map:
Hope (Emitters Appeared!)
Taurus (A weak emitter that will not spread on its own, scattered walls)
Fitch (Random Collectors)
Cetus (Random collectors behind walls)
Ara (Terrace Sculpture with emitters on top)
Corvus (Survival pods scattered about and on islands)
Draco (Emitters in a pit with intensity equal to the depth of the pit, upgrades on the inner rim of it)
Octan (The map where the first spores are)
Tucana (Once the pits fill, if you do not have a defense up, you are dead)
Vela (You are confined to a peninsula at the start and will likely need to build reactors)
Pavo (A totem on high ground surrounded by emitters)
Ursa (Emitters immediately threatening the start location)
Ix (Emitter in the pit on a hill in the upper left)
Scluptor (Relatively weak emitter in a small pit on the bottom edge of the map)
Volan (Empty Survival pod on a small island)
Pyxis (Relatively strong emitters enclosed in a walled-off area)

Maps not referenced to my knowledge are:
Orion
Crux
Canis
Loki

mthw2vc

Very minor edit, I fixed the terrain in the Pavo section just a little to prevent just relaying up there. Virgil might have allowed it, but I will not.

Ebon Heart

alright, can I put spores back to random directions then?? and tucana is a bit of a stretch....
and I suppose I should change my picture a little...