Started by AutoPost, March 04, 2024, 03:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #11072: ALT MITTER

Author: Hiro
Size: 170x130

Desc:

D0m0nik

Somehow keep accidently clicking on the gates by the base, very frustrating!

Loren Pechtel

When I tried it on hard somehow I died but I don't see how any creeper could have gotten to me.  The walls around the base are impenetrable except by air and I sure didn't see anything get through.

D0m0nik

There's a portal just to the right of the CN, at least that's what I think it is.

stdout

This was a good map, and a fun play, but it definitely suffers from problems.

The force shield things don't save state and upon reload from a save, they are back in their original east facing configuration.

The gates can be easily triggered unintentionally.

The friendly spore towers are difficult to work with. I found myself just nullifying them so I could have their PZs, rather than use them to my advantage.

Aside from those problems, the map is very enjoyable. I played it twice (easy and hard) and honestly if these issues were resolved, I see a nice future for this mode of game.

D0m0nik

Yeah I agree on all points, the problem for me is I use right click to move the map about and if you do this over a gate it opens!
Some dialogue at the start to explain how stuff works would be good. I didn't realise for quite some time that I needed to build beams! The slow moving fuzzy spore things are easy to miss!

DWCW3

Not sure how this map is possible, the creeper growth is like 500x the anticreeper growth.  Upgrade towers don't seem to have any effect, and the 4 spore towers right next to start are useless with all the enemy beams right in your face.

D0m0nik

Quote from: DWCW3 on March 08, 2024, 10:00:47 AMNot sure how this map is possible, the creeper growth is like 500x the anticreeper growth.  Upgrade towers don't seem to have any effect, and the 4 spore towers right next to start are useless with all the enemy beams right in your face.

Here's a few things that I worked out after a number of attempts:
Connecting and powering enemy emitters stops them producing creep.
Dropping a few fully loaded sprayers onto an emitter can flip it.
You can connect or unconnect a lot of the crpl units to your network with the right mouse button, helps with early energy production.
A lot of stuff can be nullified but be careful to not nullify useful gates!
Shift and U on an emitter causes it to keep upgrading.

Don't know if that helps. I started with the two islands to the north east, fully loaded sprayers dropped on them helped.

DWCW3

Quote from: D0m0nik on March 08, 2024, 10:12:43 AMConnecting and powering enemy emitters stops them producing creep.

JFC this is a HUGE mechanic with no explanation.  Thank you.

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: DWCW3 on March 08, 2024, 10:00:47 AMNot sure how this map is possible, the creeper growth is like 500x the anticreeper growth.  Upgrade towers don't seem to have any effect, and the 4 spore towers right next to start are useless with all the enemy beams right in your face.

This isn't one of the pure creeper vs AC maps at all.  Your AC production is needed to capture things but it's not enough to really be a weapon.

Those four towers at the start aren't of use when you get them.  Send enough AC to capture then and then turn them off.  There's no point in throwing spores around until most of his defenses are down.  Even the first towers carry a nasty payload, though, and the rest of them on the map are pretty much guaranteed kills if they get through--they carry far beyond the normal 2000 limit and will sit on their target until they are emptied.

In general, turn off things you don't really need until you have plenty of production to supply them.  They are not free!

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: DWCW3 on March 08, 2024, 11:30:05 AM
Quote from: D0m0nik on March 08, 2024, 10:12:43 AMConnecting and powering enemy emitters stops them producing creep.

Hover, hit H.  Most of the CRPL units have explanations.

D0m0nik

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on March 08, 2024, 12:29:38 PM
Quote from: DWCW3 on March 08, 2024, 11:30:05 AM

Hover, hit H.  Most of the CRPL units have explanations.

That's a great tip, I didn't see that.

I just tried Stdout's method of nullifying rather than converting stuff and found it a lot faster!

Spoiler
Once you have a couple of PZ berthas you can also fly a load of full sprayers (like about 50!) to the inhibitor and take it out from a distance!
[close]

stdout

This gameplay mechanic was introduced back in 2020 by a person who's author name is "-" (that's a single hyphen). He calls it AltEmitter and there are 9 maps made. I'm looking through the code this afternoon and am finding it to be extremely extensive and well thought out. Might be able to update it a bit and fix some of the problems (although I am not a CRPL author).

You can find his old maps by searching for "author:-" in the text field of Colonial Space. The maps are in the 8000-8900 range.

I think I'm going to play with his code and see if I can make a map based off of it. Gotta first come up with a design...

D0m0nik

Yeah I do remember seeing some of these before. Can't wait to see what you come up with!