Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #8458: 8448 hell mod

Author: Nofear
Size: 99x99

Desc:
MAp #8448 from yum234 Highest time award

gOku

Is it just me or is this map impossible? I've tried multiple strategies, but no matter what I plug, some whole overflows before getting emitters above 60....and then just instantly floods everything

marvinitfox

Nah, the *start* is ok.
Just put a plug in the farleft-top yellow hole in the map.

Where i grind to a halt is later, when the enemy regional absorbers start vomiting too much, and i start losing territory. (around minute 37)
I suspect we are supposed to put them under pressure before then, but ?greep?

Roszadok

that's a farest I can go, althou time can be a bit better
Spoiler

Johnny Haywire

So, I think a lot of people may be going about this the wrong way. Either that, or I am. I started moving from the lower-right square about an hour into the game. I took the entire square to the left, which took several hours of afk-waiting and then progressing. I'm not sure what the "longest time award" means but I'm guessing my time will be something around 100 hours, lol.

I'm currently at 8:30:00-something and my bomb factory has malfunctioned. It says the bomb is ready, but there's no bomb available. It's submerged in about 400-deep AC so that's not the problem. It's connected and powered up.

The last time I saved was right before taking the upgrading factory... I may have to just reload that.

Any ideas?

You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

Johnny Haywire

Managed to beat the map in 21 hours.   

With only one Bomb Factory working (see above post).    >:(

It was an interesting challenge but after I defeated the last emitter, I didn't get a victory condition.  :P >:( :P

Let me just say that I can see why a lot of people don't like this map. The time it takes to kill the huge booster-emitter with 5 lives... each life takes like what, 15 minutes to die? Yeah, that's unnecessary. But the rest of the map is just a straight-up challenge. Lots of well-placed singularities will do the trick, and after 12 hours (game-time) you'll be able to spam them like crazy.

You can totally turtle this map if you want... just be cautious about each move. Contrary to what your gut might tell you, there's absolutely no need to rush.

As annoying as this map is, I'll be glad to give solutions if anyone's still stuck. Just post here and I'll try to check every now and then.

And if I have to do this map again, since I've already run through it once with one arm tied behind my back, my conscience will not bother me one bit if I bring some extra help for the next one. #justified  8)

gOku

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on June 07, 2020, 01:41:45 AM
Managed to beat the map in 21 hours.   

With only one Bomb Factory working (see above post).    >:(

It was an interesting challenge but after I defeated the last emitter, I didn't get a victory condition.  :P >:( :P

Let me just say that I can see why a lot of people don't like this map. The time it takes to kill the huge booster-emitter with 5 lives... each life takes like what, 15 minutes to die? Yeah, that's unnecessary. But the rest of the map is just a straight-up challenge. Lots of well-placed singularities will do the trick, and after 12 hours (game-time) you'll be able to spam them like crazy.

You can totally turtle this map if you want... just be cautious about each move. Contrary to what your gut might tell you, there's absolutely no need to rush.

As annoying as this map is, I'll be glad to give solutions if anyone's still stuck. Just post here and I'll try to check every now and then.

And if I have to do this map again, since I've already run through it once with one arm tied behind my back, my conscience will not bother me one bit if I bring some extra help for the next one. #justified  8)

Please do. Nothing I do stops it from overflowing....after about 1 hour in game time...every time...

Johnny Haywire

Yeah, the overflowing was the first thing I noticed. But do you notice all those absorbers placed all over the place? They absorb creeper (yay!).

So what if you could get a lot of the creeper to go right to that absorber? That'd be cool, right? (Hopefully you've saved a singularity)

NOTE: This is a *long* strategy. There may be a way to rush this map, but I prefer the safe and stable approach.
1) I'm guessing you saw marvinitfox's post about blocking the yellow warp gate in the upper left. Block the one just to the lower left of the big bad emitter.

2) Try to keep the AC *away* from the absorbers if possible until you are able to overpower the surrounding creeper. Try to quell your desire for greater power with a flood of fear for the sake of self-preservation. You want those absorbers to be like walls for you.

3) You may have a better strategy than me for getting to the aether pack.I built up around 120 aether, then used a singularity to pull the creeper away, then pumped AC to it. I think it took a few tries and I didn't start saving the game until about 2 hours into it. Play around with the singularity and find the best shot, if you want to save & load.

4) Once you get the aether, use it all for your protection. If creeper looks dangerous, pop a singularity on an absorber that's in a good place. My favorite ones were the ones just to the left of the middle.

5) So, once you have that going, you've created a base that can't be taken. Your totem power will continue to grow, so it's only a matter of time before you can spam singularities. But what if you could instantly DESTROY emitters with that same singularity? "OOoooOOOO!" you say? Yes indeed, and that kind of virtually unbridled excitement is a very logical reaction. For three or four easy payments of ~300 aether you can pop any of those blue emitters. That's because once creeper piles up to around 2200, it briefly switches to AC. And "briefly" is all you need. [Note: the one in the upper left took about 12 singularities because I left it for last and had to overwhelm it with AC.] So hit it with 3 or 4 short burst singularities as fast as you can stack them (pause if you want, but it's not necessary) and it should pop.

6) Yanno what else the singularity is good for? Building up AC in your own fort, then releasing it en masse upon the unsuspecting enemy. :o

Hope this helps! At least it should give you a good start, and I hope your bomb factory doesn't crash on you.  :P

Edit: I just found a game save at about 5 hours and the bomb factory's working so I might try again. I'd recommend hitting the blue emitter that's just above the right green box. Once you pop that with a singularity, you can wait for it to drain, then use your yellow warp gate to take those emitters and get to the upgrade factory.  ;)

Thufir

thx

it took me 9:00:25.8 to beat it, and your help realy helped ... i forgot the singularity (i usualy try to beat maps without using it)

with save and load it gets a bit buggy ( i got the bravo grabz visuals during a load), but i finished the map anyway

i rly love those long, hard battles, i give it a 10/10

Johnny Haywire

And I agree about using the singularity. It's almost never needed and much more fun to use other methods. But it might be absolutely necessary in this map, I dunno. I love these CSM maps but my skill set isn't up to par with these guys who pump out super-fast times. Sounds like too much work if ya ask me, lol  8)

Glad it helped ya!  ;)

And to Nofear: Thanks so much for making this map! Although I think the time it takes to kill the bosses is unnecessarily excessive, the rest of the map is fantastic! Great work, m8!  ;D ;D

Roszadok

Awww I am still too stupid, singularity do not work or I might be using it in wrong way

Thufir

Quote from: Roszadok on June 08, 2020, 03:45:46 PM
Awww I am still too stupid, singularity do not work or I might be using it in wrong way

Spoiler
try aiming it between the upgrader and the absorber below it. this got rid of most overflow i had.
alternatively use the 2 absorbers slightly above the middle.
[close]

Thufir

what also worked for me:

Spoiler
pushing the F01/02 switch on and of repeatedly, i set up a autoclicker at 0.5 seconds, this helped a lot against the overflow
[close]

Roszadok

During pushing i by mistake taken controll of ugrader and then everything went ok  12:24:49.1