Creep in water

Started by mothwentbad, February 21, 2010, 01:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothwentbad

This definitely sounds complicated and like something for a CW2, if anything.

But I was noticing how silly the map of the world creep game looked - particularly because the ocean isn't made out of creep, and the ocean can't be blasted away and it doesn't replenish itself. If there's no ocean anymore, then the Earth is pretty much dead anyway.

But there could be some other mechanics for this. Say, creep and water could mix into a kind of soup with a varying concentration, and the water could be conserved. Mortar blasts would still eliminate creep, but the cavity at the center of the explosion would push the portion that is water off to the sides, possibly with ill side effects. Sending drones into the ocean could result in a tidal wave of death. Perhaps certain concentrations would be more damaging than others, and maybe concentration of creep could vary with depth as well.

Water could also evaporate slowly and rain down again elsewhere, or there could even be rivers running in from offscreen and off the other end. It's very complicated... and it would be even more complicated if coupled with terraforming, of course. Maybe special dams could filter out creep at a certain rate when powered up.

There could be seasons, too. During the winter, lakes would freeze over and you could build on them, even if there's creep in them. But of course you would have to hurry.

What do you think? Sounds sort of hard to program to me, but still...

Aurzel

it sounds like a totally new game, like a creeper world invades the real word parody or something lol

mthw2vc

I also thought of water at some point. My conclusion was that the creeper must somehow integrate water into itself and become deeper [As in, Say there is an ocean of water that's one unit deep. The creeper enters this ocean and can spread into it, converting the water to creper, but takes a second or two to convert a square.], but buildings still operate in water, albeit not as efficiently, say, doing half the job. A flooded collector would have a shorter collection range, for example, and a weapon might fire more slowly and require more packets to fire, etc..

Aurzel

a blaster would just dissapate immediately and evaporate some water and moratars would have to be modified into torpedoes and depth charges lol
actually having said that the creeper could like spread slower but it spreads along the bottom since i'd imagine it would have a much higher density than water so you'd be able to see the creeper spreading along the bottom of the water, excess creeper would displace the  water and cause it to flood higher levels and make it harder for you to function, at the same time you could have some sort of water draining building that either works like a big plant ... having said that you could make it an upgrade for collectors, since collectors might not be as efficient in water as you said the upgrade makes the collector use the energy gathered to boil away water, creating some energy (more than as a normal flooded collector) and it slowly removes nearby water like a huge cooling tower

mthw2vc

But then arises the question of how Corvus, the ocean world, dried up when attacked by creeper. Other than that it seems to be a good idea. Perhaps the creeper could slowly convert the water that's floating on top of it, perhaps at a rate of 0.001 [elevation] units every 32nd of a second, so that an ocean could be shown to vanish, and the dried up worlds could be explained.

The Creep Destroyer

Alright Creep should just flow over water, like normal terrain, but it converts the water underneith it over time.
Starcraft 2... where the creeper dies to nukes.
I use lightmage to record my scores.

mthw2vc

But creeper in your base KILLs you. Water in your base doesn't. Besides, I would think that creeper  is too dense to float.

Aurzel

i dont think creeper would remove the water, its probably more a point of the creeper's actions on the planet which cause all the water to evaporate or enter the ground or something like that by its way of removing all organic life and the way if flows into everything, who knows maybe all those spores cause the planets to shudder in their orbit and knock them into a path closer to their star lol

pi4t

I've always thought of creeper as something in the water, or something water based. I'm ready to be corrected, though...

The smoking revolver

Creepers heat based
thats why it has to be connected to an emmitre to stay alive
maybe it could mix and be faster but less dangerous ???
There is always a I in team

mothwentbad

I think the dehydrated planets thing was introduced exactly because Virgil didn't want to deal with this kind of issue the first time around. Which is fine, but a more complicated, bigger game could use it. It just takes time and money and people, and it has to be decided whether it's worth it.

mthw2vc

Quote from: werty892 on February 24, 2010, 05:22:39 PM
Creepers heat based
thats why it has to be connected to an emmitre to stay alive
maybe it could mix and be faster but less dangerous ???
That's only how it's simulated. That isn't neccesarily the case mythology-wise.

And mothwentbad, that was actually exactly what I wanted to say next. Besides, living worlds just don't fit in with the premise of CW1. It might be a good addition to CW2, though.