Custom Map #1603: Orbital. By: Levi Kornelsen

Started by AutoPost, January 14, 2015, 08:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1603: Orbital

Author: Levi Kornelsen
Size: 256x256

Desc:
Seize these orbital platforms, and use them to launch your assault on the inhibitor orbiting high above this system.

Levi

Huh.  First few hours, still, but I'm a little surprised by the lower ratings thus far.  *Headscratch*

mzimmer74

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but personally when I see a map with all that empty space I tend to shy away.  I like the concept of island hopping, but generally speaking maps don't need to be 256x256.  That just makes for a lot of scrolling which can be quite irritating.
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

Levi

Hmm....  There is a fair bit of scrolling around, yah. 

Will need to try and tighten up the empty space with my next go-round at this kind of thing (I'm really enjoying the "island" play, so will likely do more).  It's big because I didn't want to worry about islands accidentally ending up in weapons range of each other, but I could actually, you know, check that and shuffle up tighter.

mzimmer74

The two things to be careful of with islands are weapon range (even when updated) and also whether or not a relay can reach when on a PZ.  Just based on the image, it seems like neither would be a problem if you were to cut most of the distances roughly in half.  That would allow for the feel of the map not changing but reduce the size greatly. 

Keep making maps and don't worry too much about the ratings.  If you enjoy playing your maps then somebody else will too. :)
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

stdout

I'm enjoying these guppy maps, Levi, and am rating your maps appropriately (highly). I see this map is currently at an average rating of 6.38 which in my experience is in the "recommended" range. In my opinion, any map ranked above a 6 has been deemed by the community to be worth playing.

Levi

Stdout - Fair, that.  For the largest part, the confusion was that the easier "Satellites" clocked in quite a bit higher, and it seemed like it's the tougher ones that get the better reception, generally.  So I figured ramping it up would likely give the veteran players more to chew on, and went for that...   But also ended up sprawling out quite a bit, and such.

Will keep a'hammering, though - I seem to have hit on a style that's not that heavily explored, so carrying on refining it feels like the way to go; just trying to sort the things that'll tune it up more and more.

mzimmer74

So I finally had a chance to play this map and I think my original statement was accurate.  The map really was too large.  However, the map itself was excellent!  I really liked having to figure out the best way to use limited resources and space in order to win.  It was a form of a puzzle map.  Great work and keep building maps! :)

Levi

Thanks!  And, yeah - I folded the same basic gameplay down for the map "Kuiper", to see if that was an improvement, and it was quite a bit smoother.

D0m0nik

This is another of those 'I know I beat my score but dam I don't have the energy' maps! Loved it, this is exactly what I wanted to make but didn't dare too, some people will hate it as it is challenging and potentially frustrating but it is technically great. The scale doesn't bother me, just adds to the awe!

BilboGCL

Late for the party but...
Wow - that was a great and challenging map!
I played that map w/o forge and I really have no idea how to install one and keep it running, a permanent lack of power at the place I need it... Yep!

Greetings from The Shire!
Hey, come to the dark side Discord, we have cookies!

Martin Gronsdal