Terp OCD

Started by Discordmerch, May 06, 2014, 10:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discordmerch

Just curious if anybody else gets a bit compulsive with the Terp where you feel the need to completely pave a map all the same height?

cooltv27

I do!
I also feel the need to have a wall and a moat around my base for maximum resistance to the creeper
uh oh here comes the creeper, QUICK GET SOME BLASTERS READY! wait, wait, wai, FIRE! IM ON FIRE! NO, NO, NO, GET AWA (the rest was taken by the creeper, taken back and eaten)
I has a youtube channel youtube.com/user/cooltv27

Discordmerch

I do the wall, how wide of a moat do you use?  I tried it but felt it wasn't worth the effort.

Grayzzur

I will refer you to a previous discussion of this topic, where some of us posted pictures. Including me.
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14196.0
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

cooltv27

Quote from: Discordmerch on May 07, 2014, 09:38:15 PM
I do the wall, how wide of a moat do you use?  I tried it but felt it wasn't worth the effort.
I use a 9 block moat from a 3 block wall, for PCs and snipers if need be
uh oh here comes the creeper, QUICK GET SOME BLASTERS READY! wait, wait, wai, FIRE! IM ON FIRE! NO, NO, NO, GET AWA (the rest was taken by the creeper, taken back and eaten)
I has a youtube channel youtube.com/user/cooltv27

4xC

I have a bad habit of always trying to even potential farming grounds and occasionally fortifying my frontlines.
C,C,C,C

arandomhalo

Quote from: 4xC on May 27, 2014, 10:02:53 AM
I have a bad habit of always trying to even potential farming grounds and occasionally fortifying my frontlines.

Bad habit?  I like to call farming and fortifying good habits.  As I mentioned in the above linked topic, terping isn't going to get you a record-breaking fast time, but I think putting efficiency into your energy production and giving your front line a little more holding power while you build up behind it are excellent strategies.  That being said, I'm into Civilization 5 and I sometimes wonder whether I treat CW too much like a city-building game.  I spend a lot of time building an economy and preparing for war.

To answer the original poster's question, I once terped the map completely, but only out of vengeance.  Bardel took me like four hours to finish, and my wife called me for dinner just as I finished, so I dropped terps on all the power zones, painted the map with terrain level 10, set the time to 4x, and let it run for the next half hour.  Take that, defeated nemesis!

Nephthys

I do find it addicting. If I build one Terp, then I must have two. If I have two, then surely three is better.  :) The work is completed SO much faster with three.

Then I use them where they are really needed, but tend to continue to use my Terps even though it isn't really necessary to complete the map. The next thing I know I've Terped all the way to an Emitter.

FishintehPond

Is it OCD if I already got terps, I use them for my attack, instead of making do without them. Even if they're unneccessary. Or spend a few minutes to flatten my collector zone?

arandomhalo

Quote from: FishintehPond on May 31, 2014, 12:32:16 AM
Is it OCD if I already got terps, I use them for my attack, instead of making do without them. Even if they're unneccessary. Or spend a few minutes to flatten my collector zone?

I'm going with no, because obsessive compulsive disorder involves unwanted compulsions that interfere with daily life.  It seems to me that you intended to build the terps, you used them for their intended purpose, and then looked for other uses since you already invested the resources.  That would not be OCD by any definition I've ever heard.  Terp away!

4xC

Ironically, while there is clearly such a thing as Terp OCD, being that way is the only way (that I for one can conceive) of getting one of the Steam achievements (energy production of 2000).

To do this, it must be done on a large map with a lot of space to farm and max upgrades depending on the terrain availability.
C,C,C,C

Devourer

One thing I like to do with terps is build a big army of blasters and then raise a super tall bridge all the way out to the next emitter, and since creeper rarely if ever comes on to the spots where you start terraforming it works amazingly as a continuous attack route