DEMO version BUG on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 TLS)

Started by Ge0rgecz, October 13, 2016, 03:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ge0rgecz

Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS here. ... I have problem with DEMO version available on your website.

describes situation better than my bad english :-)

Same problem was described by user "Praetonus" in closed thread "Knuckle Cracker » Knuckle Cracker » Announcements » Particle Fleet Demo Now Available!"

Ge0rgecz

This bug in DEMO version available on your website, descriebed by  "Praetonus" in closed thread "Knuckle Cracker » Knuckle Cracker » Announcements » Particle Fleet Demo Now Available!". This bug still exists, I ve downloaded and played DEMO today.

describes situation better than my bad english :-)

Karsten75

No need to post multiple times. Thanks for the report.

12345ieee

99% this is the non-english locale, known bug.

Force the default locale via 'LC_ALL=C ./whatever_the_demo_is_called.whatever'.

Virgil, please, fix this.

knucracker

Hmmm.
I had to go all the way back to some notes for CW3 I made in 2014 to refresh my memory on this.  Then I found the posts folks have made about the locale bug applying to PF (sorry, I'm still playing forum catchup after my unexpected time 'off').

So in CW3 it looks like I force the locale within the game very early (on the spash screen in CW3).  All because of the comma and dot mess we humans decided to create globally. I've added the same code I had in CW3 to the start of PF... that should maybe fix this issue.

I'll see if I can fix a few more bugs and get a 1.0.2 build out soon.

Ge0rgecz

Quote from: 12345ieee on October 13, 2016, 04:29:32 PM
99% this is the non-english locale, known bug.

Force the default locale via 'LC_ALL=C ./whatever_the_demo_is_called.whatever'.

Virgil, please, fix this.

Thank you, this really solves my problem.
1. Open terminal 2. type LC_ALL=C ./Downloads/particleFleetDemo/particleFleetDemo.x86_64 ... no problem in game tutorial

But it`s not "user friendly" .. ;)

Karsten75

Quote from: Ge0rgecz on October 18, 2016, 11:59:06 AM

But it`s not "user friendly" .. ;)

Coming to you in the next build:

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21687.0
QuoteDONE: Force the locale at the start of the game. Seems to only matter for linux. Should fix issue with tutorial and other issues not working on linux systems not set to a locale that uses a dot for the decimal character.

Karsten75

Quote from: Ge0rgecz on October 18, 2016, 02:36:55 PM
Thank you.

BTW, my Ubuntu default language is Czech (cs_CZ).

This bug is not only about DEMO version, same thing happens in "STEAM version" too (bought right now).
Temporary solution in STEAM:
1. right click on downloaded game in library
2. select "Properties" (last row) in context menu
3. SET LAUNCH OPTIONS... button (first button on first tab)
4. and type: LC_ALL=C %command%
5. confirm with OK button

Btw, its awesome game, masterpiece no.2. Worth the money.

We understand and the fix will roll out to all versions, Demo, Steam and non-Steam. Thanks again