Custom Map #44: Hawai'i

Started by AutoPost, December 26, 2013, 08:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #44: Hawai'i

Author: ThirdParty

Desc:
Conquer the Hawaiian islands! You start in Honolulu; active volcanoes are enemies, extinct volcanoes are resources. #CRPL: The map is surrounded by an endless ocean of Creeper; it can't be drained, but also won't accumulate much. #Digitalis #Spores #NoTechLimits #RealWorld #Earth #USA #Hawaii #3P

Katra

It felt kinda weird building dikes across the Pacific Ocean.  ;D
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

teknotiss

hey 3P how would i edit your ocean script so the ocean is 9 terrain heights deep instead of 4/5 (which is what i think it is at the moment)?
i had a look but it's not clear to me which value i set.
also did you try with stronger wind effects? i didn't really notice any wind action during my plays through of this one but i think the value was only 1000 or 10000, i guess much high values might be needed to make it visible.
great map dude  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

ThirdParty

Quote from: teknotiss on December 27, 2013, 10:19:53 AMhey 3P how would i edit your ocean script so the ocean is 9 terrain heights deep instead of 4/5 (which is what i think it is at the moment)?
You don't need to edit the script, just change the input variables in the CRPL tower that uses the script.  The relevant variables are $lowTide and $highTide.  Change them from 4.5/5.5 to 8.9/9.1 or whatever.

Quote from: teknotiss on December 27, 2013, 10:19:53 AMalso did you try with stronger wind effects? i didn't really notice any wind action during my plays through of this one but i think the value was only 1000 or 10000, i guess much high values might be needed to make it visible.
The wind in Hawai'i (whose stregnth is, yeah, about 1000 or 1500) is meant to be very subtle.  It doesn't have any major effect on creeper flow, all it does is make it so than when the creeper first floods a beach, it will do it in fits and starts (like waves lapping the beach, each one coming in a bit further than the previous) rather than all at once.  Gives the player a bit of extra warning before a disaster occurs, and fits with the ocean theme.

I think if you set it to 10000 or 15000 or so, you'd get some major effects, creeper occasionally crashing onto the beach unexpectedly, forcing the player to keep unarmored buildings inland or on high ground.

teknotiss

Quote from: ThirdParty on December 27, 2013, 10:39:12 AM
Quote from: teknotiss on December 27, 2013, 10:19:53 AMhey 3P how would i edit your ocean script so the ocean is 9 terrain heights deep instead of 4/5 (which is what i think it is at the moment)?
You don't need to edit the script, just change the input variables in the CRPL tower that uses the script.  The relevant variables are $lowTide and $highTide.  Change them from 4.5/5.5 to 8.9/9.1 or whatever.

Quote from: teknotiss on December 27, 2013, 10:19:53 AMalso did you try with stronger wind effects? i didn't really notice any wind action during my plays through of this one but i think the value was only 1000 or 10000, i guess much high values might be needed to make it visible.
The wind in Hawai'i (whose stregnth is, yeah, about 1000 or 1500) is meant to be very subtle.  It doesn't have any major effect on creeper flow, all it does is make it so than when the creeper first floods a beach, it will do it in fits and starts (like waves lapping the beach, each one coming in a bit further than the previous) rather than all at once.  Gives the player a bit of extra warning before a disaster occurs, and fits with the ocean theme.

I think if you set it to 10000 or 15000 or so, you'd get some major effects, creeper occasionally crashing onto the beach unexpectedly, forcing the player to keep unarmored buildings inland or on high ground.

ah groovy cheers dude!  8) time for adding that to a map i think!
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus