Hiigara Defence Force

Started by Keeper Decagon, October 12, 2016, 01:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMorning

"Garnet": Exactly what I said - a new mind. Our thoughts were of you and yours, and the way they ran together was strange for us. When we began to draw apart, we found one among us who was not there before, a thoughtgroup stable enough to be called mind.

(Emerald's hue starts to stabilise. "Garnet" begins to wonder if it was a good idea to talk to her so intensely during the scan.)

"Garnet": So far from a Locus, this is a great event. We are few, and company is always appreciated. A new mind in our thoughtswarm... The only other way that happens is a lonemind <joining/becoming> us.

(Emerald starts to collect her thoughts. "Garnet" privately decides that it was a mistake to tell such an intense story while Emerald was dealing with the sense of the scan...)

"Garnet": As to why <newmind/youngling> would wish to meet you, your mind, form and well being were the first thoughtmemories it encountered, and it has chosen to hold to that. It seems, if you'll pardon the pun, to have taken a shine to you.

(Emerald seems much improved, though she is still drinking in energy at an alarming rate. Her amused/pitying response to the pun is encouraging, however.)

"Garnet": Now, if you don't mind my asking ... What was the scan like? And should we have perhaps not poured such experiences out in the middle of it? Did it help? And the most important question ... Are you all right? We do hope so...
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Keeper Decagon

*Emerald strains slightly, managing to form an arm. She wiggles the four fingers, slightly more pleased she is regaining control over her own body.*

It was... intense. Like the minds of a thousand younglings, all singing at once... the melody was beautiful, but I was not yet mature enough to handle the intensity of these concerted thought patterns... there is a reason why most Mind Space instances are hosted by a First Born or Starfire, grand psionic beings capable of conducting and diffusing the thought patterns safely...

*Another arm forms, allowing Emerald to maintain connection to the Resonator via the limb as her body drifted away from it.*

Still... there is a point where a youngling is due to mature... and that is done via Mind Space; we are exposed to the full chorus of the Convergence. Our bodies remain the same, yet our minds are permanently changed, for the better...

I feel... I feel that you might have accidentally triggered the process. I am not that old either, and wasn't due to mature for another several thousand years... Of course, you couldn't have known... and considering the position I am in, as Keeper of Knowledge... I feel it is probably for the better.

*A new, stronger hue takes hold over Emerald's luminescence, establishing itself as a vivid glow within her core. The Resonator was noticeably less active now, severely drained of its energy to fuel Emerald's revitalization. She pulls her hand off the ship, adopting a determined and steadfast stance.*

And now, I am stronger than I ever was. Look, even my stutter has gone!

*She pauses for a second to reaffirm that, nodding to herself happily.*

For real, this time!

*Emerald moves closer to "Garnet", with steely determination in her eyes.*

I'm ready for anything!
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

GoodMorning

"Garnet": I can see that... On that subject, I'd say your Resonator is a lot less ready than it was. We'll see about recharging it - that scan gave us a lot of information. Speaking of which, there's someone who is now eager to meet you.

(A new shape blossoms next to "Garnet". This form seems almost floral, giving the impression of petals from every side. An untamed sense of curiousity flows from it.)

"Garnet": We've spent several weeks teaching and learning, while I've been here with you.

(Emerald's hue flickers with shock, and hurried reassurance is forthcoming. The other form retreats, uncertain.)

"Garnet": No, I phrased that badly. You have been here for only a short time. There's a path we can - did - take, that takes much longer to traverse than to wait for arrival. <newmind> has had time to learn, and wishes to learn from you.

(A sense of tentative greeting reaches out to Emerald, followed by a sense of undirected questioning.)

Keeper Decagon

*Emerald eases her stance, glowing a friendly yellow hue.*

Hello, kind stranger! Your form is rather beautiful, might I say!

I can feel your curiosity, and I would be happy to answer any and all questions you might have. I am my race's Keeper of Knowledge, as you probably already know, so I have much knowledge to share!

*A refined psionic flow within Emerald begins to awaken, reaching out to the new entity, accompanied by a wash of comfort and acceptance. Emerald directs this flow to try and mimic the thoughtsymbols that the other Rising Star entities often conveyed to her, in an effort to welcome the young entity into her mind's embrace.*
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

GoodMorning

(Emerald's comforting thoughts are welcomed, and a torrent of questions are returned. The compliment is appreciated, even cherished. Several hours later, the new mind departs to consider all it has learned.)

"Garnet": That one is very intelligent. I'm glad you have had a chance to talk - though chance played little part in it.

(A strange object speeds into the room. "Garnet" halts it, and looks it over. The object, seemingly a pinpoint red light - save for the warping around it - begins to pulse.)

"Garnet": Ah. Emerald, would you move back a little?

("Garnet"'s shape extends one point toward the now-orange light. After a moment's delay, the object flares, and expands. As it grows, it runs through the spectrum, ending as a brilliant violet sphere. "Garnet" moves parts of the "room" around, and seems to anchor something. A moment later, a small metallic wirework flower emerges.)

"Garnet": I think we're ready... Emerald, follow me, please.

("Garnet" resumes normal shape, and immediately proceeds to pass into the sphere. Emerald is puzzled, but follows - there's a nagging feeling of familiarity here, but she cannot seem to place it. As she enters, she notices that the warps make the sphere effectively flat from any angle. Passing in, she finds herself back in the Rift laboratory, and a celebratory atmosphere. Puzzled at the uncharacteristic light show, she joins the others.)

"Garnet": Good news, Emerald; that Rift gateway is stable. And, if we don't open an exit, we have a permanent Rift opening.

(The metallic bloom is pulled back into the lab. Another device follows, trailing an impression of satisfaction and craft. Garnet offers Emerald first the petalled twists, then the new device.)

"Garnet": This is for you. <youngling/???> suggested that you would like a reminder of the dense regions, and redesigned the deformation tester. The other is your safety device - along with every bit of storage and communication equipment that we could contrive to integrate. This one has an independent warp generator, so it will continue to function without the warp stabilisers here. I suggest you test it now.

Keeper Decagon

*Emerald takes hold of both devices. One of them bears a strange gravity, minutely warping the space around itself as if to keep its integrity stable, or perhaps it was just the warp generator's passive warping of spacetime. It also resonated faintly in a multitude of electromagnetic spectra.*

Woah... these devices, they're so intricate and beautiful pieces of technology! Here, let me see...

*She activates the warp generator, feeling herself being encompassed in the gravity field, but without being drawn in. Tiny movements with her hand translated to the bending of spacetime in any way she could conceive, and more. Psionic interaction also seemed possible, but she had yet to figure that one out. She drifts back and forth whilst she studies the device.*

It's pretty spectacular, I must say!

*Emerald moves herself back to the position she started in, glancing happily at "Garnet".*

Thank you, kind friend. I appreciate everything you have given me thus far... the knowledge I have gained here will be incredibly beneficial for new, curious Crystallid younglings!

And best of all, you have a stable Rift gateway too! Congratulations!

*She pauses for a second.*

That means we're closer to getting Envy back too, right? I believe we can do it!

GoodMorning

"Garnet": I think that it is now a question less of "if" than "when". Speaking of which, Envy mentioned you two had had an idea which might allow him to travel to Rift Space safely?

(The minerals attached to the Resonator are at last being unloaded, it seems - at least from the group emerging from the Rift. Most of them must be going elsewhere, though, including the bulk of the crystalline elements. What is here seems to be largely masses of iron.)

"Garnet": Emerald, would you ... "shroud up" seems to be a good enough term? We're about to try Rift-packing part of the VVHD lab, and the density is rather higher than your own.

Keeper Decagon

Of course, one sec...

*Emerald activates her device, creating an isolation bubble around herself to prevent the higher densities affecting her.*

There, that should do it. Go ahead!

GoodMorning

(The Rift seems to give a pulse, and a variety of warps go into place around it. Emerald can feel them even from inside her "shroud". As she deepens it, the Rift suddenly flares to stellar brightness, and the warps around it redouble in strength. The lumps of iron are rapidly steered into a warp casing, and compressed until they glow with a blue-white intensity.)

"Garnet": On the other side of that is the VVHD containment - if all goes to plan, Envy should soon have a purpose-built transmitter to work with.

(The metal-plasma is pressed through the Rift, glowing ever hotter. Emerald's device makes some adjustment in response, and the light dims enough not to burn. A moment later, the Rift abruptly vanishes.)

"Garnet": We've collapsed that Rift to feed another energy pulse to the VVHD material. Now it's a waiting game, for that part of the project, at least. Now, we have a rather larger request... Would you be willing to fly the Resonator into a Rift, and then jump it back to normal space? We want to test that before Envy's transition, if only as a fail-safe. If you can do it remotely, so much the better.

(A <chime> reaches them. "Garnet" seems startled.)

"Garnet": Excuse me, I have to go... I'll be back shortly.

("Garnet" leaves the "shell" behind, departing so rapidly that Emerald can't tell where. Moments later, another mind approaches, with some technical questions. By the time these are answered, "Garnet" has returned.)

"Garnet": Well, we're getting closer... Anyway, the Resonator flight?

Keeper Decagon

Yes, I can do that. One moment...

*Emerald moves herself to the Resonator, which is still sitting pretty low on energy. She deposits herself in the pilot slot, quickly and efficiently taking control and heading for the nearest active Rift, making sure it was not being used by the other entities first.*

Alright, here we go. Garnet, I am activating an ongoing transmission of sensor data, so you can see exactly what happens upon entry. Just hope this works.

*The Resonator surges forward, passing through the powerful fields keeping the Rift portal stable. Emerald made sure to keep the Resonator's own Rift Engine on standby as she slipped into Rift Space beyond the aperture.*

Hrm... the integrity of the Rift looks good. Rift Energy fluctuations in the entrance could be an issue... some modification to the field modulators can mitigate a potential energy cascade. Other than that, everything is looking good. Returning now.

*In a flash, the Rift Engine powered up and dropped the Resonator back into normal space, in the exact place it was originally docked.*

Return successful. Did you get all that, Garnet?

GoodMorning

"Garnet": Loud and clear. We shouldn't need to worry about those stabiliser modifications - the only time a significant mass will pass the Rift is Envy's exit, and he's a lot smaller than the Resonator. We'll set up a few more Totems to keep Rift Space stable, though, just in case.

(Another Rift becomes apparent. Emerald wonders just how many of these stable Rifts are now scattered around. They drift toward it.)

"Garnet": We've managed to (finally) construct a transmitter/locator between planes, and it's shining like a beacon to help Envy see it. When they find it, it will be in about the right place to attempt the transit. Inter-plane structures are annoying to form, but very stable once they do, so we can use it as a locator to fine-tune the correspondence.

(They exit the Rift. Moments later, it is shuttled away, before suddenly twisting into spirals and vanishing. Seeing Emerald's look, "Garnet" explains.)

"Garnet": We're working on Rift <microfold>s. That Rift wasn't perfectly formed, and was a constant power drain. So we overloaded one of the prototype Totem Cores powering it to make some for study. So yes, it was intentional, and no, we're not transporting you through dangerously experimental means.

(They arrive at what Emerald assumes is the transmitter. It shines in evenly spaced peaks of colour, helped by the uncharacteristically solid machinery about it. Emerald hadn't noticed the spectrum analyser in her device - though she had had little reason to.)

"Garnet": Envy's transition, though - well, there has to be a first time for everything. And we can't yet go to Rift Space, so the kind of testing we've done for you is impossible. Um... Yes. I've been sending my <shell/core/form> through the Rifts, but I've been getting about on my own. It didn't come up, did it...

("Garnet" is spared further discomfort by the transmitter starting to shine a brilliant blue. As the other colours fade, Emerald replies with a deep green. "Garnet" changes a few settings, and they start to feel a slight sense of Envy's presence. The reply is unmistakably his.)

(OOC: Over to you, Decagon.)

Keeper Decagon

Benevolent Emerald: I can feel the connection stabilizing... Envy, can you hear me?

Solar Envy: Yes, Emerald, I can hear you clearly.

Benevolent Emerald: Good. Preparations on our end are beginning to come to a head, and we're almost ready for the transition. There should be a sort of... beacon to guide you. It should be visible on your end too.

Solar Envy: Hmm, I see... aha, I think I can sense it. It's close by.

Benevolent Emerald: This beacon is where the hypertunnel will form. All we need you to do is carefully follow the beacon, no matter what, until you're in Rift Space.

Solar Envy: I understand, kind Emerald. *A few moments of silence pass.* I have arrived at the location. I can see the beacon... it is beautiful, in a way.

Benevolent Emerald: Do not take your eyes off the beacon. Think of it as the "light at the end of the tunnel", so the human saying goes. I'll notify you once the procedure begins.

*Emerald turns to "Garnet", a wave of happiness mixed with fear filling her mind. They were so close now...*

Garnet, let us return to the Rift lab. I'm assuming we can begin the transition from there, all things considered.

*After a little deliberation, "Garnet" enables the Rift lab to be warped to their position instead. Emerald uses her device to begin interfacing with the Totem Control System, giving her a readout of all the active Totems to be used for the transition.*

Totems A through E are standing by. F and G showing minor power fluctuations, nothing to worry about. Totem H is looking good, if a little... weathered. Should be fine, I'd say.

Rift catalysts powering up... preliminary firing initiating. Envy, prepare for transition.

*A confirmation came through as the Totems begin firing, piercing the fabric of Rift Space to begin the formation of the hypertunnel.*

Modifications looking stable. Totem power levels stable. Everyone, the tunnel is beginning to form... emergency energy dissipators, stand by for potential energy cascade.

*The tunnel connects with the other dimensional plane... and after several moments of silence, the system lights up green.*

Tunnel is stable. Converting Totem firing to a staggered pattern to conserve energy and local Rift integrity. Envy, you are clear to begin the transition... now!

*Emerald felt a shudder run through her core. She shook it off at first, until the various red blips began popping up in the system.*

What? Quantum stabilizers are failing to keep the tunnel stable, there is something countering the Totems' Rift frequencies... oh god, Envy! His energy saturation is several measures greater than we anticipated... he'll cause the damn tunnel to collapse!

*In a flurry of motion, Emerald rushed back to the Resonator, burning it towards the firing Rift Totems.*

Garnet, we can't risk cranking up the Totems themselves, or we could tear the local Rift fabric apart. I think I can use the Resonator to amplify their beams more precisely... and hopefully we can prevent the tunnel from collapsing.

*The Resonator intersected with the Totem beams, balancing itself on the precipice of the Rift aperture.*

Beams stable! The rate of collapse has been slowed; energy dissipators, begin the siphoning process!

*Suddenly, a freak feedback pulse ran down one of the beams to Totem H. As the pulse struck, the weathered internal mechanisms tore themselves apart, causing Rift Totem H to explode in a spectacular plume of exotic matter. The remaining Totems began to arc with undue Rift Energy.*

I can't hold the Rift open for much longer...! Envy...

*In an instant, the Rift portal fractured with enough force to crack a planet, violently collapsing under its own gravity. Hundreds of thousands of microsingularities peppered the region, coalescing within the Resonator's core. The Totems continued to fire, feeding the quantum frenzy.*

I can't... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!

*Emerald could feel the singularities tearing at her body, altering and misshaping it in ways yet to be defined by Crystallid science. Her mind screamed into the abyss, a crash of energy flooding in from Rift Space to catalyze the reaction. A panicked mob of Rising Star entities shut the remaining Rift Totems down in an effort to halt the chaos, but to no avail. Then something happened. Time began to slow, space began to warp, and the microsingularities had served their purpose. With another batch of residual energy coming in from Envy's decent, a vast new entity materialized. What energy remained in the Totems was sapped too, as well as the energy from several sectors within the Rift lab. Then... silence.*

*Envy followed the light. He felt his body heave as the energy within threatened to tear him apart, but the dissipators did their job... for a while. He could sense the tunnel beginning to wobble slightly, making sure to move on as quickly as possible. And then... he felt her scream.*

Emerald...?

*The dissipators stopped suddenly, causing the energy pressure to really start to build up. Behind him, the tunnel collapsed entirely as the dimensional boundary began healing itself. The beacon too began to falter, but Envy knew now his heading. Luckily for him, he encountered a device, utterly mysterious to him, yet capable of amazing feats. It was an older warp device previously held by Emerald, sent into a Rift for testing purposes. He grabbed it; the device seemed to register to his touch. The interface was intuitive enough to allow him to use it easily, using its warping mechanisms to create a cushion of Rift Space beneath his decent to stop him before he literally explodes from the energy cascade. He still had a ways to descend, but at least he was safely in Rift Space now, if in a higher-energy level.*

*Silence.*

"Garnet": E-Emerald?

*The titanic form twitched, a flicker of light pulsing through it. It began to move, slowly, erratically, until it came about to face "Garnet".*

..........................G.....Gar....Garnet......?.......................
........What......happened......to.....me.......?....................
...........I......can't......feel......anything...........................

............help...........me..............Prismatic.....................

Spoiler
[close]

GoodMorning

"Garnet": Ah. <measured/calm/cautious> Emerald, everything looks stable for now ... but don't move. For a while. You've been caught up in a Rift collapse, and something ... odd ... has happened.

(The various minds, calm after the momentary flare of panic that had swept out through the lab, set to work. A new Rift is brought up, and various sensors start to search for Envy. Emerald remains still, her core shining through a vast depth of crystal, shimmering as changes ripple through it.)

"Garnet": <reassurance> We're contacting Prismatic Placid Flare. We're going to move you outside now, so that we have room to manoeuvre. You're glowing a little.

(This is a polite fiction. Emerald's glow is increasing progressively faster, and the sheer amount of energy she is giving off is making it hard to work. "Garnet" drops into thoughtsymbols, politeness being sacrificed for communication.)

<you/Emerald><size/vast><shine/shed><image/???><dim/hold><wait/stay><presence/comfort><Flare/Cobalt><speak/listen><think/shape>

(Envy is learning the effects of the warpsensor device in Rift Space. The disturbances make him easy to locate.)

"Garnet": Hello, Envy? There has been a problem. Your energy load was far greater than we thought - a potential hill, probably. Emerald tried to stabilise it with her Resonator, but it decayed around it. We're not sure what happened to it - maybe you have it - but Emerald was caught by a microsingularity adhesion cluster. She seems to be fine, but ... well, you should be able to talk in person soon enough. We've reinforced our new setup, and you should feel the effect soon.

(As this message is passed through the Rift, the various minds around the complex are finishing tasks, placing holding patters, forming stable states, and massing their attention on Emerald and Envy.)

(With all speed, a contraction is formed to send a message faster. At the other end, Cobalt - finally calm - is forced to shift course, along with a convoy carrying minerals. The message which follows along it is stranger still.)

x Rising Star
o Observant Cobalt, Prismatic Placid Flare

Hello.

Flare, Cobalt,

We ask your assistance. Envy is returning, but will not arrive for some time. Emerald has been affected by a Rift collapse, and seems to be stunned by an expansion similar to what you are capable of. We have no experience with this state, but hope you can offer some insight. This contraction will allow immediate transit.

Technical logs attached.

(The message is accompanied by a number of thoughtsymbols, only half of which make sense to Cobalt. He suspects the others are intended for Flare. There is a deep green glow coning from the contraction, and a sense of aggregation.)

Keeper Decagon

Placid Flare: Cobalt, do you think...?

Observant Cobalt: Sounds like it. One of us is going to have to go there to calm her down. This is... unprecedented.

Placid Flare: We will both go. Captain Skye, I fear we have something urgent to attend to. Captain Spaartan, if you can, please make sure the GalCorp HQ is escorted safely to the Starfire. We will return as soon as we are able.

Observant Cobalt: Mineral Harvesters Ruby and Topaz, come with me. Don't worry about dropping off your cargo, we'll need your Resonators as full as we can manage. The rest of you, carry on as usual.

*Flare, occupying the Catalyst, Cobalt, flying a Diamond, and Mineral Harvesters Ruby and Topaz, each piloting a Resonator filled to the brim with minerals and energy, gather up in front of the contraction created by Rising Star. They opt to go one at a time, whisked away in an instant by the warped spacetime. Upon arrival, they are faced with the gigantic form of Emerald.*

Placid Flare: Oh no... this... this is worse than I expected.

Observant Cobalt: Her Titan-form, it looks strangely familiar...

*Flare disembarks the Catalyst, floating toward the gathered group of Rising Star entities. She seems far less surprised by their forms as she approaches than Emerald was.*

Placid Flare: Kind Rising Star, I have arrived. *Looks up at the Titan-form.* Emerald... don't worry, I am here.

Benevolent Emerald: ..........Prismatic........

Placid Flare: *She floats towards Emerald, gently touching her head to the Titan-form's exterior. Emerald was severely distraught, her mental faculties having been damaged alongside her body by the Rift collapse. Flare soothed Emerald's anxiety, before moving to reconstruct and reorganize her mind.*

Observant Cobalt: *He catches up, with the two Mineral Harvesters in tow.* Greetings, Rising Star. We brought extra stuff for you, in the Resonators back there. Feel free to help yourselves. Ruby, Topaz, see if you can't help them unload.

*The Mineral Harvesters nodded, moving back to their respective Resonators.*

Observant Cobalt: Look, I appreciate everything you guys are doing here. I didn't even think Envy survived... and the fact you were willing to try and return him from another dimension, no less, is admirable. *He glances over at Flare, who was still connected to Emerald.* If there is anything I can do for you guys, just let me know. I'm capable of more than just losing my temper, hah!

A problem, you say? Hmm. I see, I see. Hold on, I think I can see the Resonator... or rather, what's left of it. Let me see...

*Envy is able to "call" the cloud of Resonator fragments to himself, causing them to stick to his body, bulking his already impressive form out even more. Whilst shattered, the Resonator is still able to absorb some of his innate energy, allowing Envy to continue his descent, slowly.*

GoodMorning

(Feeling what Flare is attempting, the massed minds offer their assistance to the tiring Prismatic. Flare gratefully accepts, and begins to guide their strength to where it is needed. "Garnet" takes a moment to talk to Cobalt.)

"Garnet": Thank you for coming. I fear that Flare is tiring far faster than she wants us to see... Would you help her? I'll deal with Emerald's energy loss from the glow - we can <wrap> it back to her. Greetings also; Topaz, Ruby. We're a little busy at the moment, so ... I'll leave a Rift here, can you unload into it? It's easier than giving directions to the lab.

(Topaz goes to shift the Resonators, while Ruby moves the Diamond out of the way. Cobalt moves to join Flare, a tiny speck against Emerald's glow. She works without pause, and Cobalt is radiating concern.)

"Garnet": Flare... Take a moment to rest. We can hold Emerald steady.

(Flare does not so much as pause. Cobalt's concern is beginning to turn into alarm.)

Cobalt: Flare, you're tiring yourself out. You're not fully recovered yourself.

(Flare acknowledges Cobalt's, but continues her frantic pace. She seems to be concentrating on Emerald to the exclusion of all else.)

"Garnet": Cobalt, is there any way to get her to see sense before we have to care for her as well? Ruby, please bring the unloaded Starfire here - the Prismatic needs it, whether she knows it or not.

Cobalt: None that I know. We're usually the ones whose concentration she needs to break. She'll keep working until she is done.

"Garnet": There's only one thing for it then. Emerald is starting to recover on her own, and we can keep her stable. Give me a moment, we're going "inside". Then we're getting the Prismatic to slow down.

(The starts wheel and twist above them, and the entire area is folded into another not-room. As the tip of the Resonator nears Flare, it seems to shimmer. Then the light around Flare shifts from green to yellow, and then to red. The entire space gradually fades out of view.)

"Garnet": What we've done is to "slow time" for Flare. Everything outside that "bubble" will seem to go faster and faster, to her. By that time, Emerald should be able to convince her to stop.

(Something subtle is niggling at Cobalt's attention. There are more pressing concerns, however.)

Cobalt: You mentioned Envy?

"Garnet": Yes. It seems that he has (for the most part) completed his transit. However, we cannot go to Rift Space, and so we're operating half-blind as we try to help him. He needs to bleed off rather a lot of energy. I don't suppose you would care to take a look?

(As a Rift is brought in for Cobalt, Topaz begins to look alarmed...)

Topaz: I don't mean to interrupt, but I think I know what the Prismatic was so concerned about...

(Topaz is instantly the focus of everyone present.)

Topaz: It looks like Emerald has streaks of antipolarisation running through her, and that these are spreading and causing state decay. I think that she was trying to hold them off singlehanded. See, this should show what I mean.

(Topaz floats out a mineral sample, and carefully strikes two shards on it. Moments later, the crystal flares in an orange hue, then turns entirely black, and a tremor runs through it. "Garnet" grabs another sample from the part-unloaded Resonator, and runs a warp rough part of it, to the same effect. Without a word, "Garnet" rushes off to join the Rising Star aggregate.)

Cobalt: I thought that this wasn't a problem for live crystals?

Ruby: It's not, normally. It's a matter of instinct to contain it to a few atoms, and it's usually entropic ally reversed in a matter of moments. But Emerald is not in a position to contain it properly, and ... I think that's the cause of the glow. Structural decay. I think even the Prismatic would have trouble containing that much antipolarity in the best of circumstances.

(The light from Emerald dims substantially. Looking over, the three Crystallids see millions of tiny distortions running through Emerald. As they pass, they each leave a trail without light. More and more pour through her, until there is no trace of the glow that they had seen. Moments later, the distortion around Flare begins to return to normal. There is no light or star behind Emerald, and none of them can see what has happened. As Flare returns to normality and realises what happened, a crimson pulse of fury is reflected in Emerald's side.)