Concerns regarding fabs

Started by Fireball14, February 04, 2018, 09:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireball14

Just watched new video.
First of all nice job so far. Love new enemy mechanic.
While watching i finally realized what was bugging me about fabs. Its inconsistency in building units.
What i mean by that is some units can be build with energy, some with fabs material. That's confusing. How about let player build any unit with energy but to fire you need some mat.
Energy - for building / charging. Fabs for ammo.
That way unit mechanic will be consistent.

EDIT:
Or even better idea.
Fabs - for building / charging. Energy  for ammo.
And let HQ build spark at low rate.

So imagine this:
Mission starts, every basic building like collector or blaster can be build with spark. You build up your economy. And to build missile turret you need radon and spark... And bam! - we have simple production line, that takes same resources to build and ammo takes energy only so it's  important to keep a steady energy/build mats balance. And it dose not contradict itself.

harrymcb

Quote from: Fireball14 on February 18, 2018, 08:40:24 PM

EDIT:
Or even better idea.

So imagine this:
Mission starts, every basic building like collector or blaster can be build with spark. You build up your economy. And to build missile turret you need radon and spark... And bam! - we have simple production line, that takes same resources to build and ammo takes energy only so it's  important to keep a steady energy/build mats balance. And it dose not contradict itself.

if i understand you this is essentially what he is showing. HQ packets build simple units, fabs let you build better units, and ac is the only ammo fabs make. and AC has always needed to be processed. as for consistency i agree to an extent, however it is worth noting that the packets that build have always been different than the ammo packets.

Karsten75

Quote from: Fireball14 on February 18, 2018, 08:40:24 PM
Just watched new video.
First of all nice job so far. Love new enemy mechanic.
While watching i finally realized what was bugging me about fabs. Its inconsistency in building units.
What i mean by that is some units can be build with energy, some with fabs material. That's confusing. How about let player build any unit with energy but to fire you need some mat.
Energy - for building / charging. Fabs for ammo.
That way unit mechanic will be consistent.

EDIT:
Or even better idea.

So imagine this:

I do believe that it is intended to eventually gray out and disallow building units that requires a ware if that ware is not being fabricated on the map. That should go some way to clearing up  what you rightly perceive as confusing. Additionally, the tech tree shows the pre-requisite wares for building and arming units.