Weekly history tournament - computer (game) inventions - closing Sept. 26

Started by UpperKEES, September 20, 2010, 07:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamron3

Hey UpperKEES, if you ever see me in chat, join. I need to discuss a few things with you. :)

_k

mthw2vc

Quote from: Mare on September 24, 2010, 05:23:03 PM
Quote from: The smoking revolver on September 24, 2010, 05:09:32 PM
Ok, Kees should just get his own medal cause hes to good and second place should get to pick

I agree, If Kees is always first then he always picks the week's maps, Make it the second person who picks.

PS: Take note that Kees is at fault, If he made a tournament where only 1st place gets to pick the maps, and he constantly gets 1st place, Then obviously people would not like it. I am not saying Kees is a showoff or is mean, Just.......you are discouraging people from get a good time......

PPS: This is not meant to insult Kees.....I hope..........
Ehm, KEES added the rule you were suggesting when this tournament started for the very reasons you mention...
Quote from: UpperKEES on September 20, 2010, 07:55:09 AM
The winner (best combined score) gets to pick next weeks theme. If we have the same winner for 3 consecutive times, the runner up (#2) will pick the theme. See here for the rules and an overview of themes.

UpperKEES

Quote from: mthw2vc on September 24, 2010, 05:31:23 PM
Ehm, KEES added the rule you were suggesting when this tournament started for the very reasons you mention...

The winner (best combined score) gets to pick next weeks theme. If we have the same winner for 3 consecutive times, the runner up (#2) will pick the theme. See here for the rules and an overview of themes.

Pfff, I'm glad at least someone noticed it. I've posted it at about 4 places! :P

Let's extend this rule right now: as long as I keep winning the tournament the number 2 will pick the theme + maps. I will only be able to pick the theme again once I didn't win, but do win a future tournament. Everybody happy? 8)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

RandyTravis

Ok, Kees should just get his own medal cause hes to good and second place should get to pick

I agree, If Kees is always first then he always picks the week's maps, Make it the second person who picks.

PS: Take note that Kees is at fault, If he made a tournament where only 1st place gets to pick the maps, and he constantly gets 1st place, Then obviously people would not like it. I am not saying Kees is a showoff or is mean, Just.......you are discouraging people from get a good time......

Yeah I agree 100%. I don't get it. Why would someone like Kees, who is a moderator, beta tester, has made tons of maps, is somewhat of a leader on the forums (doing things like... organizing the weekly tournament), and holds most of the high scores, be any good at this game? It really just makes no sense  ::).

<sarcasm/>

Chill out guys, this is only the 2nd week of the tournament that Kees has been in charge of, I started this thing a few weeks ago, and Kees has happened to win both of the tournaments we've had so far, and has the highest scores for this one. It's not unfair or anything. The simple fact is that the dude has been playing this game longer, is more experienced, and probably spends more time working on strategy as well.

On top of that, I've never seen him post boastfully, or be condescending to anyone, no matter how green, and a system for choosing bumping the choice of the next one down to someone else is already in the rules. So he picked two themes in a row and has won the first few? I'm not surprised at all, or offended. Go glance at the most played maps, and see which name comes up under highest score the most.

Pyxis_GeeK

I would have competed in this weeks tournament but I had to reformat my computer so that took up some of my time this week. I havent even reinstalled CW yet. I have no problem that Kees has won two weeks in a row. He is a good player and it shows in his scores. I have never played for getting the highest score. My times will confirm that in the last tournament. Pretty much last but thats ok. I like playing and I hope that my scores will begin to improve over time. It is hard for me to play and go for the highest score. Thats not my style I would rather play the way I play. I found that when playing in the last tournament I would get frustrated when I wouldnt be able to complete a map in a time that would compete with the lower times. So instead of playing for fun and enjoying the game, it became work. But I told myself it shouldnt matter if I win as long as I am having fun. So who cares who wins or loses? There are many players here that are way better than me. No big deal. I play for fun.

UpperKEES

Quote from: RandyTravis on September 24, 2010, 06:19:01 PM
Chill out guys, this is only the 2nd week of the tournament that Kees has been in charge of, I started this thing a few weeks ago, and Kees has happened to win both of the tournaments we've had so far, and has the highest scores for this one. It's not unfair or anything. The simple fact is that the dude has been playing this game longer, is more experienced, and probably spends more time working on strategy as well.

On top of that, I've never seen him post boastfully, or be condescending to anyone, no matter how green, and a system for choosing bumping the choice of the next one down to someone else is already in the rules. So he picked two themes in a row and has won the first few? I'm not surprised at all, or offended. Go glance at the most played maps, and see which name comes up under highest score the most.

Thanks Randy! :)

I want this (and any other) tournament to be fun for everyone and give everybody a chance to pick the theme and maps. That's exactly why I proposed a new rule after winning the second tournament (which was the first tournament organized by me). I even posted it in 4 different places:

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 06, 2010, 04:58:19 PM
When the tournament has been won by the same player for 3 consecutive times the runner up (#2) will pick the next theme to ensure themes & maps will be picked by different people.

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 20, 2010, 08:25:16 AM
I suggest that if I win this tournament as well (3 consecutive times) the runner up (#2) will pick next weeks theme, so themes will come from different people.

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 20, 2010, 07:15:03 AM
I suggest that if next weeks tournament has the same winner (3 times in a row), the runner up (#2) can pick the theme, so themes will come from different people.

If we have the same winner for 3 consecutive times, the runner up (#2) will pick the theme.

Besides that I post my solutions, so others can try to use the same strategy & tactics. The only thing I won't do is play badly. Sorry for that! ;D

Quote from: Pyxis_GeeK on September 24, 2010, 06:38:27 PM
I like playing and I hope that my scores will begin to improve over time. It is hard for me to play and go for the highest score. Thats not my style I would rather play the way I play. I found that when playing in the last tournament I would get frustrated when I wouldnt be able to complete a map in a time that would compete with the lower times. So instead of playing for fun and enjoying the game, it became work. But I told myself it shouldnt matter if I win as long as I am having fun. So who cares who wins or loses? There are many players here that are way better than me. No big deal. I play for fun.

Yeah, I've said it many times: first try to improve yourself and be happy with the few points/seconds you gain every week. As long as you see progress you should be happy. And even when you don't you could be satisfied with just being able to finish all maps, which is already hard enough for a lot of players. Don't make it too hard for yourself, just make it hard for the Creeper! ;)

snowmaker (JM)

Quote from: RandyTravis on September 24, 2010, 06:19:01 PM

Yeah I agree 100%. I don't get it. Why would someone like Kees, who is a moderator, beta tester, has made tons of maps, is somewhat of a leader on the forums (doing things like... organizing the weekly tournament), and holds most of the high scores, be any good at this game? It really just makes no sense  ::).

<sarcasm/>

Very well said... I have come close a couple of times to beating Kees, but I haven't been successful yet. I look it as a challenge to try and beat him on a map. Here's to the next map  ;)

Mare

Quote from: mthw2vc on September 24, 2010, 05:31:23 PM

Oh wow, I can't believe I did not notice that rule due to my stupidity, Sorry Kees!!!

...but seriously, please don't brag or be arrogant, I don't like those kinds of people. Not that I found you bragging at all.......You were mostly helpful.....

PS: If you wonder Why I don't like braggers, It because most of the time they lie, or when they brag, they do it in an insulting way. I found a lot of people like this in other games, however CW does not have this problem since so many people are active on the forums a lot lately.
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

Mare

I find it funny how Fisherk is like, always 3rd place whenever I go check a map's score. I don't think he gets mad about that though, Cuz 3rd place is good compared to my times.............
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

UpperKEES

Quote from: Mare on September 25, 2010, 01:33:26 AM
Oh wow, I can't believe I did not notice that rule due to my stupidity, Sorry Kees!!!

No problem.

...but seriously, please don't brag or be arrogant, I don't like those kinds of people. Not that I found you bragging at all.......You were mostly helpful.....

"Good wine needs no bush", as we say here. :P

PS: If you wonder Why I don't like braggers, It because most of the time they lie, or when they brag, they do it in an insulting way.

Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception

Hmmm.... ;)

Quote from: Mare on September 25, 2010, 01:38:42 AM
I find it funny how Fisherk is like, always 3rd place whenever I go check a map's score. I don't think he gets mad about that though, Cuz 3rd place is good compared to my times.............

It's actually Fish who has beaten my scores often lately, even on my own maps. He's rather busy now, but I'm sure he'll join us again when the running season has come to an end. He's a good example of someone who is happy with gradual improvements and his gameplay definitely became as good as mine. I just happen to have more time available at the moment.

Alwego

Fisherck

(sorry for the running lingo ;D)
When I go to run a race, being at the age level I am (I am a sophmore going against people as old as seniors in high school), I do not expect to get first. Expecially at races where I am running against hundreds of people. But what I do, is set goals for myself, like last race my goal was to keep up with the other teams #1 runner. About half way through though, he got ahead of me, and remains the only sophmore in the league right now faster than me. :)

But what I mean, is to set goals for yourself and do  ;Dnot always expect to win. You can surely appreciate your times when your done, and who knows, maybe you will get in the top three. ;)
Quote from: UpperKEES on September 25, 2010, 06:02:55 AM
It's actually Fish who has beaten my scores often lately, even on my own maps. He's rather busy now, but I'm sure he'll join us again when the running season has come to an end. He's a good example of someone who is happy with gradual improvements and his gameplay definitely became as good as mine. I just happen to have more time available at the moment.

Yes, when cross country is over, I will have a few more hours in the day than before, and then I can get back to beating you! ;D :P
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

L'ythelle

I can't believe I actually finished the second map. So here I am, once again, supporting the rest of you from the bottom up.

Map
Date
Score
Time

20:44
27:24
15:37
28:08
15:59

Totals:
107:52

Fisherck

Lets see how I am doing... ;D

1. May 12, 1941             8548 10min 11sec  2nd place
2. January 25, 1947        8317 12min 8sec    3rd place
3. May 24, 1972             9496 3min 11sec    2nd place
4. August 12, 1981         8825 7min 59sec    3rd place
5. January 2, 1982

Now I am half and half. :D
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

IcEcAt

i forgot it was saturday!
so here are my scores.

MapDate
Score
Time

1.may 12, 1941
 16:33
2.jan 25, 1947
 21:20
3.may 24, 1972
 07:13
4.aug 12, 1981
 12:55
5.jan 02, 1982
 14:31

Total                    40419  72:32

this was a fun round.

i think it is unfair for kees to keep winning. i say kees gets banned from competition and not allowed to pick the theme. i say let some one other than kees pick!

NOT!!!!!
i give mad props and respect to kees for everything earned. if i was that good at this game i would be doing the same thing.

EDIT: wrong addy's for dates fixed