Started by AutoPost, November 02, 2022, 12:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #10350: the Inverted Pyramid

Author: Martin Gronsdal
Size: 97x97

Desc:

wolfgoesmoo

This was fun! It was also not as difficult as I expected. I'm so used to the usual trickery that I assumed the solution had to be more complicated than it was.

TimeWeaver

I don't know how you guys did it.  Fastest time is 6 minutes, but the spores drop straight through my shields and killed my base about 3 minutes.  I had about half of the board cleared, so I tried again and sped up my play - but the spores hit harder and killed me in a minute and a half.  If the shields won't stop spores from dropping through, how do you survive for 6 minutes?

Ok - got it

Spoiler
Denser shielding - a lot denser
[close]

AstraNine

Well I really want to like this but....
The shields do nothing, no matter how dense you place them. Cannot see what the point of the shields is. So its unclear to me how to proceed.

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: AstraNine on November 06, 2022, 10:53:02 AMWell I really want to like this but....
The shields do nothing, no matter how dense you place them. Cannot see what the point of the shields is. So its unclear to me how to proceed.
You need 24 shields only, 12 for the PZ and 12 "spare". You have to switch off the shields that got hit and move them away from the PZ and place a healthy and charged shield to the same PZ.

Dave!

Its entirely possible to complete the map with only the 12 PZ shields.

Martin Gronsdal

It is, but I think you can be unlucky and have spores target the same area twice and that's potentially bye bye.

AstraNine

Thanks for the explanation but.....
My problem is not the shields themselves (apart from they're leaky!). The spores target all my power in the centre and the CN. I literally have all my shields intact but Im still dead. And I've tried shielding the centre as well but it makes little difference.
Perhaps I will come back to this later but thanks anyway.

Martin Gronsdal

spores never target the CN, just other buildings, like power.

shields ON the PZ (the circle) cover much larger area than on normal land, thus they cover the middle as well.

when one shield takes a hit, switch it off and move it away from the PZ, and replace it with a healthy/fully charged shield that is switched on.

My advice would be to play on slow speed and pause all of the time. The letter N on the keyboard moves time by... a fraction of a second, that helps in progressing very slowly.

Dave!

Spores dont target the CN so build smart..

Build nothing on on inner 2 rings and on the 3rd ring between the PZ,s only build as close to the outer edge as possible so that if you do get an unlucky hit that goes straight through the shields they will push the creep outwards.

Tech is cheap so upgrade your power supplies ASAP so you dont need as many reactors,upgrade packet speed and build speed to the point where you can rebuild and repower a shield between spore shot's.

Reactors are 1 cost so if any shots do land rebuild is negligible.

The whole trick to this lvl is preventing any creep from landing in the middle or getting there,beyond that theres several ways to attack.

wolfgoesmoo

You can actually also put power on the PZs and just build a zillion shields. That's what I did on my win.

rennervate

nice idea for a map. took me a few tries... was a lot of fun! thanks for making the map
-------------------------------------------------------
aka: AlexX