CW3 Currency

Started by MapMaster, January 03, 2013, 08:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MapMaster

I was thinking that it would be cool to have a form of currency in the game that you could use to buy special towers and upgrades, like range and fire speed. Heres my ideas for it:

1. You would gain it from completing Missions (Story or otherwise)
2. You could use it to purchase special towers and upgrades for towers you already have.
3. You could get more from special missions (Conquest, Special Ops, Custom, etc)

What do you think?

ShadowDragon7015

Its much too far along in the game to be adding in something that complex. It would also mean that you would have to figure out how much each map would be worth and with custom maps that would be very difficult to do.
Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.

Mr.H

Could you use the CW3 suggestions redux instead of using a new thread each time ;) . Great suggestions :D , it's easier if they're all hubbed in one location. Currency would get a bit complicated, especially since the value of a currency can change relatively , if it stayed constant I think number 2 could be one but 3 sound a bit hindersome.
Good evening/morning/night/afternoon
You are now reading my signature...
Stop reading IT!

Ronini

As much as I wish for CW3 to be released already, I doubt that there is such a thing as a game being "too far along". (Two words: major updates)

About the currency: I'd like to wait and see how the whole upgrading system will work in the new game. Will it be similar to CW1, CW2 or something new?
A currency somehow add's a step where none is required. You simply unlock and gain new units by completing missions. No need to go to a shop first.
If at all, I'd opt for an achievement system ("story completed", "1k cusom levels won", "1 million billion ammo packets delivered", etc.) that would unlock new features, e.g. maps, graphics, game modes (double down after completing the story).
Both ways, achievements and currency, would make the game rather grindy. If you want to restrict players access to units and upgrades, make the restriction beating a certain map. That's it.

lurkily

It's not really that far-fetched to add something like this.  After all, we still expect that a tech tree is coming, and that will require a resource or currency.  Even if that 'currency' turns out to be the technology itself that you find on various maps.  (A rose by any other name . . . )

Grauniad

Hello Mapmaster and welcome to the forums.  I do believe that I've heard Virgil consider something along the lines of "skill points" that may bear close resemblance to your currency idea. It has been a while, and I'm not sure where he's at with that idea right now. The development of CW3 has taken a few strange twists and turns, with the implementation of CRPL being one of them.

Right now Virgil feels a little under pressure to get the game more ready and I'm not sure what features will end up on the floor of the cutting room....  I do know that Virgil has begin to anticipate a update release of the game sometime after being released, so features that are of interest and fits in with the game's development once it has been released may be implemented in that.

Some other ideas may also be held over for a future game, or just end up being held... :)  SOme of my suggestions to Virgil for CW1 actually made an appearance in CW3, which was a happy occasion. SOme, even though Virgil liked them,  are still in his "features list." :( C'est la vie.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Mr.H

If you get the chance tell Virgil there is absolutely no pressure, time is not of the essence and the more refined it is the better. Sacrifice of patience is a little thing to give in return for a well debugged and unraveled game. Besides we have plenty of CW2 custom maps and CW1 maps to catch our fancy :)

Also Mapmaster forget my first post it is irrelevant.
Good evening/morning/night/afternoon
You are now reading my signature...
Stop reading IT!

Chawe800

I think the idea fo a currency is a good one I just doubt it would be incorperated right now. Virgil attempts to incorperate specific themes into CW games and that might mess wiht the theme. Also would there be a shopkeeper and who would the shopkeeper be? There tends to be a lot of complex elements to adding a currency.

I have been enjoying your thoughts and hope to hear more  :)
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

Grauniad

Quote from: Chawe800 on January 04, 2013, 02:32:39 PM
I think the idea fo a currency is a good one I just doubt it would be incorperated right now. Virgil attempts to incorperate specific themes into CW games and that might mess wiht the theme. Also would there be a shopkeeper and who would the shopkeeper be? There tends to be a lot of complex elements to adding a currency.

I have been enjoying your thoughts and hope to hear more  :)

I believe the OP was along the lines of the "currency" earned in some Flash games on Kongregate, for instance. There are some Penguin games where the penguin has to learn to fly, and then for each completed flight the penguin earns a certain amount of money to buy stuff in an in-game shop that improves his ability to fly further, longer, higher and faster...

Also in Gemcraft, for instance, ever level one wins allows one to gain XP and with more XP one can increase one's skills to enhance the player's ability.

The main difference between upgrades in existing versions of CW and the games I mention is persistence. In CW games (up to now) one always starts with a level field. One can get in-game upgrades, but at the beginning all players have the same attributes.

The OP refers to a system of persistent upgrades. Which has been mentioned and has possibilities, but also drawbacks.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

koker93

As long as its not a system of borderline impossible to reach goals - but you can buy coins to get there faster - model like a lot of Apple and Android games I like the idea of persistent upgrades. 

lurkily

Are you talking about a cash-currency, where users can pay cash for 'premium' weapons?

ShadowDragon7015

Having to pay cash after already purchasing the game is kind of a rip off. And i don't think that virgil would do something like that because it would ruin the point of the game. Being able to purchase the 'premium' weapons makes the game go faster but makes it boring. Having normal upgrades in the game similar to those in the past can make the game fun and allow for more difficult maps. Having to purchase 'premium upgrades just to finish a map is stupid because barely any of the players here want to have to pay money just to finish one difficult map.
Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.

lurkily

Usually, that premium stuff isn't needed to complete the game . . . it's basically a dev-authorized 'cheat mode' weapon.

I do agree that I don't really want to see them here, though.

asmussen

Quote from: lurkily on January 06, 2013, 02:05:13 PM
Usually, that premium stuff isn't needed to complete the game . . . it's basically a dev-authorized 'cheat mode' weapon.

I do agree that I don't really want to see them here, though.

Although it's not usually needed to complete the game, a lot of times they make it so that you have to grind out the coins (Or other type of token) by replaying the earlier levels so frequently that by the time you grind out enough of the things to progress, the game is no longer fun. I really hate games like that. I'd rather just pay a fixed price for a game and get the complete game. When they artificially slow down progress so much that the currency feels mandatory if you want to actually enjoy the game, then as far as I'm concerned, even if the game is technically completable, it's still crippled.
Shawn Asmussen

lurkily

Quote from: asmussen on January 06, 2013, 05:31:32 PMAlthough it's not usually needed to complete the game, a lot of times they make it so that you have to grind out the coins (Or other type of token) by replaying the earlier levels so frequently that by the time you grind out enough of the things to progress, the game is no longer fun.
I'm not talking about that . . . I'm talking about things you can get only through cash, not through play. 

When you can basically buy currency that you can get through the course of the game, you're not actually implementing a currency - what you're really doing is asking the player to get a paid subscription to being successful in the game.