after playing the game, what do you want to see in the editor?

Started by thepenguin, May 14, 2011, 04:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebon Heart

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 23, 2011, 01:38:35 AM
Quote from: mthw2vc on May 22, 2011, 07:06:06 PM
Something else I might like to see in the editor... The ability to flag a cell as "Inert" such that it is always unlit and is effectively a beacon-blocker on a LOS basis, similar to crazonium from game 1. This also has uses similar to, but not identical to what KEES is asking about now, as you cannot travel through it while creeper can, among other possible uses...

Smart thinking! This could very well offer the terrain limitations I'm looking for without major changes to the game. Packets won't be able to go through these cells, but I can certainly live with that.
I'm thinking about using it for a tower defense game... so packets wouldn't be able to go through anyways. And another big thing I'd like to see is some kind of timed mission, where you can make it so you have to survive so long before you leave. Like have a mission where you're constantly under attack by creeper balls, drones, phantoms, etc, and you have to survive for 10 minutes. Another great thing to have would be text associated with upgrades, or destroying enemy objects, or text that pops up at certain times.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

mthw2vc

Your first request is already in the editor, provided you know how to use it... ;)

Ebon Heart

tell me how to use it then! And do you mean ambient darkness, or times missions/text? And one more thing I'd really like to see, some type of terrain that can be destroyed by creeper, but not by you.

mthw2vc

Reread this post, your first request, effectively a minimum time for completion, can be made easily with careful use of fields. In case you forget, there is a mission mode wherein one can only win by destroying all enemies on the map, perfect for the TD example you give.

Ebon Heart

But I don't want them to have to destroy the emitters, maybe just have to collect a survival pod or something... And I guess if you made a super strong emitter inside some indestructible terrain, you could have a thick wall of creeper that updates every 1 second or something.... But then that would draw away launcher fire. Oh, what to do what to do?

mthw2vc

If the way to do it doesn't pop into your head, it may not become apparent until I show you how by providing an example map... Since you won't be able to actually make one until the editor goes public, you may as well wait until then, it'd save us all a lot of time arguing and explaining...

Sqaz

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on May 23, 2011, 10:56:06 PM
But I don't want them to have to destroy the emitters, maybe just have to collect a survival pod or something... And I guess if you made a super strong emitter inside some indestructible terrain, you could have a thick wall of creeper that updates every 1 second or something.... But then that would draw away launcher fire. Oh, what to do what to do?

I'd just place something that you need to collect to win the mission (in aquisition mode) and gaurd it's only connection to the city with some small blocks just blockning packets. And these blocks doesn't even have to be that dense if they get replaced every couple frames.

Kithros

I think the best way to make a timer right now would be to have a single survival pod behind an ore reserve that couldn't be dug around, and start off with an ore rig already built there. If you wanted to make sure they didn't get ore, you could have an emitter  near the survival pod and a creeper maker, with fields and such making it that the creeper maker always has to be running or the survival pod will be destroyed.

Sqaz

Quote from: Kithros on May 24, 2011, 07:30:59 AM
I think the best way to make a timer right now would be to have a single survival pod behind an ore reserve that couldn't be dug around, and start off with an ore rig already built there. If you wanted to make sure they didn't get ore, you could have an emitter  near the survival pod and a creeper maker, with fields and such making it that the creeper maker always has to be running or the survival pod will be destroyed.

But what if that rig gets destroyed? Or when there is accidentely no way over the course of the game for packets to get to it?

Ebon Heart

I like the ore rig idea... and why not give them the ore?? I'd have to figure out how much ore is dug up per second and stuff like that, but that should be easy.

TonyP2000

How bout, have a weak emitter (that you cannot get to) slowing spawning creeper up a long shaft to a lone and unprotected survival pod. The time it takes for the creeper to reach the survival pod is the time you have to collect pods/survive/complete a specific task.
Vote Tony!

Ebon Heart

What I wanted was a time before you were able to leave, not a time before you die. And a death time limit can be made with excessive drones/phantoms.

Ranakastrasz

You make an immobile wall of creeper, that is rapidly updated with more, from an inaccessible emitter, that shuts off after the time, which is protecting the survival pod from you taking it.

Ebon Heart

CobraKill

Spoiler
I want to see those sheilds from Bonus 10
[close]

I could make awesome infastructure maps with prebuilt stuff just mess around on  :D
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.