A question for Virgil

Started by Creeperkingpin, October 09, 2012, 08:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Creeperkingpin

Hello Virgil. So, before the release of CW1 way back when, were you ever worried the game would flop?
Those who choose security over liberty deserve neither security nor liberty-Benjamin Franklin

knucracker

I can honestly say I didn't really worry about that.  Not because I was sure it would succeed, but rather because 'success' wasn't my first motivation.  Not to put too fine a point on it... but, I liked the game and I made it for me.  It scratched a creative itch I had.  Now, I hoped that many others would enjoy it, and I thought about that (especially when refining it after release).  But, 'worry' isn't really the right word.

I also play tested the game with a few others before release... and it is true they could have just been eccentrics and strange like myself, but they liked the game so I had some reassurance it would appeal to interests outside of my own.

Creeperkingpin

Thanks for replying so quickly. I just wondered. Because as im sure you know, alot of games made by indie developers flop. But this one, this is epic. :)
Those who choose security over liberty deserve neither security nor liberty-Benjamin Franklin

Grauniad

I think the message from Virgil is similar to a now-famous investment message from the famous Peter Lynch. "Invest in what you know." I think Warren Buffett has a similar message.

Don't try and judge what the market wants, make something that you like to play and chances are there are enough people out there that likes to play the same game. Use the knowledge and skill you have rather than trying to guess where the "market" is.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

bobthebike

Why do we have to accidentaly "trip over" realy excellent indie games, when its almost impossible to avoid the garbage on flash sites, and or the hype of games costing large amounts of ( insert currency here) that only have a very limited lifespan and are too easy or have no logevity or substance above "eye candy"

Thanks Vigil, awesome job

BoB

Creeperkingpin

Quote from: bobthebike on October 15, 2012, 12:26:24 PM
Why do we have to accidentaly "trip over" realy excellent indie games, when its almost impossible to avoid the garbage on flash sites, and or the hype of games costing large amounts of ( insert currency here) that only have a very limited lifespan and are too easy or have no logevity or substance above "eye candy"

BoB
no offence to you dude, but hey, he called you vigil >-.-< tehe

thepenguin

Quote from: Creeperkingpin on October 15, 2012, 10:29:44 PM
Quote from: bobthebike on October 15, 2012, 12:26:24 PM

BoB
no offence to you dude, but hey, he called you vigil >-.-< tehe
Quote from: virgilwMy name is virgil, not vigil, but the latter is sometimes more accurate
by the way, offense has an S, not a C
We have become the creeper...

Lord_Farin

Quote from: thepenguin on October 16, 2012, 04:32:57 PM
by the way, offense has an S, not a C
I would be delighted if people reckoned with the differences between US, British and International English on a more regular basis.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!