Custom Map #1037: Merry Christmas. By: FOXX

Started by AutoPost, January 18, 2018, 11:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1037: Merry Christmas

Author: FOXX
Size: 340x260

Desc:
Presents from Santa Clause, wow (An overdue ChristMas Map) Scripting by Kajacx #IMG #DoubleLandEnergy #Grinch #Challenging #10Mins

FOXX

An Overdue Christmas Map with some nice Mechanics.
Can be very hard if you are unlucky with the Presents.

Enjoy !
Greets
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

svartmes

Another great map! Normally I don't care for random elements in maps but this fit nice with the present theme.
Zalig Kerstfeest jongen! (late but whatever) :)

FOXX

Thanks Svartmes,

i like the randomness of this map. From all of my maps i have played this one the most times. {and every time i get different presents.)
Great scripts in this Map [Kajacx]

Dankjewel en zalig kerstfeest [:))
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

daniels220

How do the small presents and the Grinch actually work? I've been restarting a lot and trying various strategies to get myself a couple extra Omnis and/or amp gems...I just so desperately need Omni Reactors and Move/Build Speed Increase to get anything done, and having 6 Omnis would be a huge boost as well.

Also, a bit of feedback: It'd make the map less frustrating if certain kinds of drops were disallowed on the basis of being disproportionately less useful. Mainly: Emitters that spawn on land waste most of their potential—they're far too strong for just holding out against stray particles—one Omni is usually more than enough, and eventually that particular landmass will be so far behind the front lines it doesn't even need that. Energy mines that spawn in the path of the streams of field-constrained particles are actually counter-productive, as there's no way to keep them out of enemy hands until you've already won anyway.

FOXX

Previous Message
Quote from: daniels220 on January 25, 2018, 12:21:10 AM
How do the small presents and the Grinch actually work? I've been restarting a lot and trying various strategies to get myself a couple extra Omnis and/or amp gems...I just so desperately need Omni Reactors and Move/Build Speed Increase to get anything done, and having 6 Omnis would be a huge boost as well.

Also, a bit of feedback: It'd make the map less frustrating if certain kinds of drops were disallowed on the basis of being disproportionately less useful. Mainly: Emitters that spawn on land waste most of their potential—they're far too strong for just holding out against stray particles—one Omni is usually more than enough, and eventually that particular landmass will be so far behind the front lines it doesn't even need that. Energy mines that spawn in the path of the streams of field-constrained particles are actually counter-productive, as there's no way to keep them out of enemy hands until you've already won anyway.
[close]

Hi Daniels220,

Thank you for giving this Map a go.
First of all, Every time you play this map it will be different. (different Spawns and different Ships)
The Scripts in this map Where made by Kajacx but i will try to explain the best i can.

Small Presents

You get small Presents every time you destroy a Doppel. Small Presents contain Omni Pickups - AmpGems - Small/Medium Ship Pickups.
so if you really want more Omnis that is your only option. Don't destroy the DoppelSpawner but Destroy the Doppel a couple of times and you have the chance to get more Omnis. But destroying more Doppels means you have more Small Presents on that spot so you will have to Lathe a Lot.
[close]

Grinch

10 Minutes into the game the Grinch arrives and changes the gameplay drastically. When the Grinch is in the Game you don't get Presents anymore but Coal.
And if you destroy the Grinch the Coal changes into LandEnergyPods. So for the sake of the game it is good if the Grinch is Destroyed ASAP.
Spoiler
RAMMING
[close]
[close]

And the Gameplay for this map, yeah. Not like your normal Maps. Because of the Randomness the gameplay is different and you have to adapt with what Spawns you get. From all of my maps i have played this one the most times.
And when i got a Blue Emitter on a Landmass i was Glad because i could go to the Stars in the Middle with my Omnis (LandValue = doubled so having more land means more Energy) if this happens later in the Game it is not so beneficial because you might have loads of Energy.

I agree if you have an Energy Spawn in the middle of the Particle Field that is not very usefull. And you have to be a little Lucky with the Spawns. When i played the Map i couldn't Finish twice !!
So if you are a bit Unlucky with (especially) the early spawns this can be very hard to Finish.

I hope this was usefull.

Greets
FOXX

The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

daniels220

Re: small presents—ah, the text says doppels or ships, and I was more easily able to destroy ships and was noticing I wasn't getting any presents. Doppels do work—except, see next point.

The Grinch is the big ship in the upper-right hand corner? For me, after restarting the map it is there from the very beginning (and I get coal instead of small presents). I just checked and I am on the latest version of the game. Any idea why or what to do about it?

FOXX

Quote from: daniels220 on January 26, 2018, 08:47:44 PM
Re: small presents—ah, the text says doppels or ships, and I was more easily able to destroy ships and was noticing I wasn't getting any presents. Doppels do work—except, see next point.

I have checked and you are right. Conversation says Doppels AND Ships but the reality is that you only get a Small present with Doppels.
Overlooked that one.

QuoteThe Grinch is the big ship in the upper-right hand corner? For me, after restarting the map it is there from the very beginning (and I get coal instead of small presents). I just checked and I am on the latest version of the game. Any idea why or what to do about it?

No, the Grinch is the ship with 2 Fighter Bases which Spawns after 10 Mins on the ShipSpawner at Coords 222 229.
The Big upper-right Corner Ship is always there. If you get Coal instead of Small Presents it should mean that the Grinch has appeared. If this is not the case (meaning you didn't play 10mins) i think a restart would be usefull.

Latest Version of the game is always a good thing.

Good Luck,
Greets,
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

GoodMorning

Good map, FOXX.

I had one interesting effect - a permanent Emitter on the lower part of the leftmost landmass, coupled with the path of the Doppel at the top, and later a mine in the area. This meant that those present-Cores were farmed automatically.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

FOXX

Quote from: GoodMorning on January 28, 2018, 02:28:25 AM
Good mp, FOXX.

I had one interesting effect - a permanent Emitter on the lower part of the leftmost landmass, coupled with the path of the Doppel at the top, and later a mine in the area. This meant that those present-Cores were farmed automatically.

Thanks GM,

I can totally see this situation happening -> only not with me. I all of my runs i was not fortunate enough to get this situation spawned.
A good example on how different each run is with this Map.

Greets
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

daniels220

QuoteNo, the Grinch is the ship with 2 Fighter Bases

Huh, okay. I just restarted, and at about 5 minutes it is indeed not there, but I destroyed a Doppel and got a lump of coal. Any ideas?

GoodMorning

Do you have a save? Or even a screenshot? It helps a lot in debugging.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

FOXX

Yes, now a save file would be helpfull.
i just did another run on this map and it seemed ok. Didn't trigger the [to] early coal spawns.
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

daniels220

Sure. Here are two saves—one shortly before and the other shortly after destroying a Doppel around the 5min mark.

FOXX

Bug Confirmed. But i don't know why.

Here are the image of my check run.
Before Grinch
[close]
AfterGrinch
[close]

So the mechanics for the Coal works fine it's just the question why the Doppel Spawns Coal instead of a Small Present.

I have to see if the Scriptmaker for tis Map has time to look at it perhaps.

Did you tried to play again? with same results?

Greets
FOXX
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!