Custom Map #1741: Arc Eternal Redemption - Viscosity Engine. By: Hubs

Started by AutoPost, February 18, 2015, 02:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1741: Arc Eternal Redemption - Viscosity Engine

Author: Hubs
Size: 160x90

Desc:
Arc Eternal Redemption: Viscosity Engine (Part 6) Relive the campaign as the creeper! Reclaim the worlds cleansed by Abraxis and get redemption. An advanced new defense technology has been discovered by Abraxis. You must destroy it at all costs. Control the creeper and destroy everything you see. #PlayAsCreeper #PACRedemption

strigvir

*yawn* Yet another PZ-mortairs-guarded-by-PZ-beams PAC map. All of that paired with 20 seconds spore towers.

Helper

I'm trying to get into the PAC maps, but so many of them seem to be the same map with very slight modifications.
I've seen very few that require/allow any kind of variation of tactics, and only a couple I would consider 'fun'.
Slowly pushing Creeper and Digitalis across the screen - with no chance of using other weapons - simply has no appeal.
Lots of our players seem to really like these, which is cool - and there's always the DMD available (and CW2).
H

Xeos

I wondered what that new building did and noticed quite soon that the creep was getting weaker. I had to restart then attacked the map a different way and I enjoyed playing it. I also looked at your script for that building and the way you script is a pleasure to read. Great work as usual :)

Personally, I have stopped building maps at the moment whilst I learn more about the coding as I have so many ideas that I want to try but don't have the knowledge to do so at present. I wish I knew what you knew :)

Cheers
Xeos

A child of 5 could beat this map ... Go fetch a child of 5 !

Hubs

strigvir and helper, did you even play the map? Didn't see any scores from you guys. This is not a regular PAC map.

Quote from: Helper on February 18, 2015, 06:28:36 AM
Slowly pushing Creeper and Digitalis across the screen - with no chance of using other weapons - simply has no appeal.

I totally get that and if you're not into it, that's fine. Part of what I aim to take care of with this series is to add variety to PAC maps, which is why I've been adding new units like the Hyper tower and Viscosity Engine and changing different game parameters like the creeper flow rate. Adds a unique element of gameplay.

Quote from: Xeos on February 18, 2015, 07:08:28 AM
I wondered what that new building did and noticed quite soon that the creep was getting weaker. I had to restart then attacked the map a different way and I enjoyed playing it. I also looked at your script for that building and the way you script is a pleasure to read. Great work as usual :)

Personally, I have stopped building maps at the moment whilst I learn more about the coding as I have so many ideas that I want to try but don't have the knowledge to do so at present. I wish I knew what you knew :)

Thanks Xeos! Let me know if you need help with any CRPL projects. I've been coding for over 12 years, so I'll pass on what I can :)

Helper

Quote from: Hubs on February 18, 2015, 08:19:21 AM
strigvir and helper, did you even play the map? Didn't see any scores from you guys. This is not a regular PAC map.

I would never comment on a map that I had not attempted.
Gave up after about an hour of futility.
H

J

I thought I had a pretty slow time but ended up in the second place. After some failed attemps I went all the way around the base along the bottom and attacked from the NE corner. Once the PZ beam was down I replaced half of my emitters with spore towers. After 2 waves the spores started to hit the ground and everything was destroyed in a minute.

Nice use of the flow rate command, however after the engine was destroyed it felt a bit like a slog. Endgame was good and fast.

Hubs

Yeah, I debated "how far in" the engine should be. I wanted to avoid having it too far and people getting stuck because they didn't destroy it fast enough and now they have to restart after wasting 20+ minutes.

It was fun creating that thing because I got to experiment with some of the commands I haven't used before like CreateEffect, SetCreeperFlowRate, SetCreeperColors (If you wait too long the creeper gradually turns dark grey as it thickens), and CreateMist.  I'm definately open to suggestions for improvement with it and placement/gameflow. I'd like to use it again in future maps.

stdout

The first time I played I destroyed the tower before it had a chance to show any effects. So I had to play a second time and let the tower do its thing. Neat effect! With the tower at 100%, if you send a few spores to one place you can easily get it to flip over to AC, which is another nasty side effect of the tower.

Great game. I enjoyed it.

J

Perhaps make it charge faster and make it useful to the player when it's at 100% so that spores can destroy targets more easily (splash damage of Abraxis weapons is wasted). It is at least a good time limit that doesn't immediatly cause you to lose or restart.

Hubs

Quote from: stdout on February 18, 2015, 12:10:56 PM
The first time I played I destroyed the tower before it had a chance to show any effects. So I had to play a second time and let the tower do its thing. Neat effect! With the tower at 100%, if you send a few spores to one place you can easily get it to flip over to AC, which is another nasty side effect of the tower.

Great game. I enjoyed it.

Hmm, didn't realize it did that, but that's awesome!  I think in future maps I'll have it charge faster so you have a minute or two to grab some PZs, then it's spore time :)

Next map in the series is Navox: JoJo. I'm thinking about doing AC volcanos out of the larger mountains, or maybe tint the AC red and have it harm Abraxis units like lava.

teknotiss

Quote from: Hubs on February 18, 2015, 01:12:38 PM
Next map in the series is Navox: JoJo. I'm thinking about doing AC volcanos out of the larger mountains, or maybe tint the AC red and have it harm Abraxis units like lava.

really we need two types of creeper? ::)
but in normal maps that might be fun, mutually destructive creeper warring over a world, the player has to clean both, but one at a time of both at once?.... :o
right oh, good idea it is (with reservations) hop to it code monkey!  ;)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

teknotiss

having started this map i can say it's fun, but i don't appreciate the AC colour choice being forced on me. i like purple/red AC and blue creeper.  ::)
please don't make me have brown AC again! it's awful, and hard to see, if you wanted hard to see AC i can understand, but whats the point if you did? ???
please......  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Hubs

Quote from: teknotiss on February 18, 2015, 04:21:16 PM
having started this map i can say it's fun, but i don't appreciate the AC colour choice being forced on me. i like purple/red AC and blue creeper.  ::)
please don't make me have brown AC again! it's awful, and hard to see, if you wanted hard to see AC i can understand, but whats the point if you did? ???
please......  8)

The AC color change is a glitch. I didn't realize that until after the map was finalized.  That will be fixed with future maps using the viscosity engine.

teknotiss

ahhh groovy, that's a bit of a relief. i think it was actually transparent. still 10/10 from me, great map!  8)