Creating forced and locked techs by bug/design choice. Help needed.

Started by Stickman, November 30, 2016, 04:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickman

I'm trying to fiddle with a map editor to maybe join beautiful community of map creators and I've found something interesting.

If you put an amp gem on tech then un-check said tech in map general settings, amp gem will not return to your "gem pool" and will act like a normally placed gem - gradually providing player with some benefit. Player cannot take gem off this tech, and you can even fully hide tech button while forcing some tech on players.

I tested it on a very simple and barren map, using three techs for mines - cannon, defense struc and energy production and these techs worked both in editor and finalized maps (I haven't tried exchange, I don't want to muddy it with a test map. At least I hope I didn't touch exchange, I haven't even found "upload to exchange" button yet). Lathe worked, cannon was shown on top of a mine and energy from mine slowly increased.

I saw some maps with disabled techs, but I haven't seen any map where tech was forced on player that way, even on puzzle maps, where it would be reasonable. I might be wrong, of course.

I've also haven't found references to this idea in this section or bug section of forum. I might have overlooked some information.

Also, this idea might not be used because of a bug, when pre-selected techs would be stuck on 0%, I've experienced it on some maps and I've found one bug report about it. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21694.0

So, my question to experienced map creators - is it a bug? Is it working for me only? Does it work in exchange? If it works in exchange, can you direct me to some maps that use this feature?

UPDATE: I'm currently using beta build.
=====> This is a moderately pointy stick. You need to poke me with it once in three days if you need PRPL from me

GoodMorning

The bug may be related to reloading on the frame when the HQ was placed.

I hope that this is a half-done feature, as changing the UI to show such locked-in techs would cause this to be identical behaviour to a feature I requested some time ago.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Karsten75