Custom Map #293: Space Fill

Started by AutoPost, October 08, 2011, 09:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #293: Space Fill

Author: mopa42

Desc:
A maze in space. Amazing space. This week you study Hilbert curves. Creeper-saturated, space-filling Hilbert curves, that is.

mopa42

This is probably the hardest map I've made (because it is the first map I've made).
Actually, it shouldn't be too hard.
Some comments/hints to get you started:

Spoiler
Look at the creeper under each terrain square. If it is anti-creeper it can help to dig that square and release it, but if it is normal creeper make sure you can handle the creeper before digging.
[close]
Spoiler
As the opening text says, you actually have to all entombed creeper to win. Sorry, the original intent of the map was that you could dig terrain if you could afford the packet cost and handle the creeper underneath, so you'd only dig occasionally where it made sense. Instead, you have to dig up a lot of the maze.
Using the creeper indicator on the right side of the screen, along with the R key to turn off terrain, can help you spot any remaining creeper
[close]
Spoiler
You don't want to dig so much that you have no place for your reactors!
[close]
Spoiler
Watch out for the crazy fast drones with anticreeper payloads. The anticreeper might help your assault but the drone will probably take out one of your units
[close]
Spoiler
Setting blasters on Fire at Drones Only can help them target the fast drones.
[close]

The maze of this map is based on Hilbert Curves, which are a curve (a one-dimensional line) that eventually fill all of space (two dimensions) by covering every point. There are several interesting properties of space filling curves, what's important for this map is that it makes a pretty maze.

I'll probably make some other maps based on math/science concepts when I get the right inspiration.

Cavemaniac

I wondered how long it would be before someone made a map with a huge amount of concealed Creeper, requiring the use of the 'R' key to reveal it!

Nice map, well thought out and a huge amount of effort.

Lots of ways to play.

Not too hard, and allows you to play with the experimentals.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

UmberGryphon

Hilbert curves in Creeper World 2, Menger sponges in Minecraft... when will the madness end?   ;D

Interesting map, looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

burguertime

There is a trick with the launchers...

Spoiler
when a launcher hits a spot, the concelaed creeper in the 4 adjacent cells dies. So if you position your launchers to fire at at choice spots, you clean the hidden creeper without having to dig.

trick is it cleans only six out of nine subcells. you have to get a missle on each side of a tile.
[close]
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.