Custom Map #318: The Planet (1). By: Xeiron Industries

Started by AutoPost, November 12, 2016, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #318: The Planet (1)

Author: Xeiron Industries
Size: 500x500

Desc:
Enter a fragment of the planet and clear it of hostile particlate (prev map was the lab). Dont forget to check the forum page for this map. You MUST kill all particulate on the maop to complete.

Xeiron_Industries

Again good luck to anyone beating my time, and not losing the dreadnought at the start.
May the Xeiron Fleet crush any particulate in its wake

herobattle530

Xeiron_Industries

just hoping its up to great difficulty standards, harder than  my other maps hopefully

chwooly

Quote from: Xeiron_Industries on November 12, 2016, 07:15:10 PM
just hoping its up to great difficulty standards, harder than  my other maps hopefully

Thanks for the map.

Larger is not always better, A lot of times it is tedious and not very much fun, Especially when 4x is not available due to lag because of the large size. My current time is 36 mins and have been playing at 2x and doing other things just waiting ships to build or travel to a new location or burn thru the armoured structure. On top of which the limited size of mines coupled with the limited number of tanks makes for a long boring map.

JMHO
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

svartmes

Well I disagree completely with the map being boring. If you are forcing your way thru large amounts of armor I'm sure it is, but play it "right" and this is a great map! One of my favorite so far even. Lots of stuff to do and plenty of choices to be made. I especially liked the square "outposts" and the non-mireable paths that made for some great omni blackops warfare, though I'm unsure if this was by deliberate design or just a happy coincident :)

Xeiron_Industries

Quote from: svartmes on November 12, 2016, 11:55:38 PM
Well I disagree completely with the map being boring. If you are forcing your way thru large amounts of armor I'm sure it is, but play it "right" and this is a great map! One of my favorite so far even. Lots of stuff to do and plenty of choices to be made. I especially liked the square "outposts" and the non-mireable paths that made for some great omni blackops warfare, though I'm unsure if this was by deliberate design or just a happy coincident :)
Quote from: chwooly on November 12, 2016, 11:03:39 PM
Quote from: Xeiron_Industries on November 12, 2016, 07:15:10 PM

Thanks for the map.

Larger is not always better, A lot of times it is tedious and not very much fun, Especially when 4x is not available due to lag because of the large size. My current time is 36 mins and have been playing at 2x and doing other things just waiting ships to build or travel to a new location or burn thru the armoured structure. On top of which the limited size of mines coupled with the limited number of tanks makes for a long boring map.

JMHO

thanks for the feedback, next time i will get the benign particulate working
the mines are actually way better than they should have been with the huge power surplus for the map so idk what the problem entirely was there
the next map has new ships to help with tedious tasks to be on the watchout for them

chwooly

So I finally finished this map, I stand by my earlier review, It is overly large and laggy. Even at 2x which is the best I was able to reliably run this map at it took forever and was not outstanding. It is a decent map that needs some tweeks.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

strigvir

So I just got lost because stray MK-7 shots from the middle of the map killed my HQ.
Great fucking map design.

chwooly

Quote from: strigvir on November 13, 2016, 02:17:23 PM
So I just got lost because stray MK-7 shots from the middle of the map killed my HQ.

To lose from random shots when your HQ is killed is not fun, I hate that, I also lower any score I was thinking of giving if that is part of the map and there is no warning before hand.
― Robert A. Heinlein

Xeiron_Industries

Quote from: strigvir on November 13, 2016, 02:17:23 PM
if you lost your HQ due to stray shots from the MK7's in the centre of the map, why didn't you think about protecting your HQ? the map itself provides everything to complete it, to protect the HQ, and to take over all parts of the map neverless the fact i was able to keep my HQ safe the entire time by using the grabber ships(i forgot the enable the benign particulate spawner)which were useless at the time

ChaosMaster130

Alright, beat the map and somehow got the lowest time.  ???
And yeah, having only one tanker was kind of lame. But I managed, slowly.
Also Placing ship blueprints all the way in the back of the maps is kind of pointless IMO, by the time I get to them I've already "beat" the map and they never get used.

Also I was wondering why blue particles never spawned.  :P
Spamming my Up+B Special since 1999!

Xeiron_Industries

i accidentally broke them, but next map im working on after my break will be... different, and will have ALOT more ships made by yours truly

Kharnellius

First map I did not finish because of the tedium of:
1) Not having a blue emitter that actually worked and thus making your grabber ships useless.
2) Huge map with energy mines ALL set to a range of around 20 (my guesstimate).
3) Only ONE "tanker" type ship to resupply your fleet.
4) 2 and 3 combined plus 7 below makes a world of suck.

Some other issues.
5) Almost every ship is named "CUSTOM" (the default name given by the editor).
6) Almost no ships with armor (guns die quick --> ship dies quick)
7) Just about every ship has a minimum of 4 particle cannons, some with as many as 7 (I counted 54 total with the starting ships) this drains energy SO fast you can never do much of anything.  I ended up turning off most of the particle cannons so I could actually do things before running out of energy.  This is exacerbated by point 3 above.
8 ) I don't think any particles had a time limit making some emitters emit nothing after their particles drifted away.

I realize this is probably your first map, so don't take it as a slam.  Just a good learning lesson for what works and what doesn't.  Best way to find a solution is to find all the non-solutions first.

Xeiron_Industries

this is actually my 3rd map, i accidentally missed out alot on this map, i know about some problems but i was intending the map to be very difficult, the tankers were supposed to be very limited, but thx for the feedback atleast