Dark Ambition's Story Hub

Started by Dark Ambition, October 31, 2016, 03:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaartan

Quote from: GoodMorning on September 02, 2017, 03:40:13 AM
As to why it's here... the only reason to build this in such a shape would be to seal a wormhole. The reduction in external gravity indicates a powerful attempt to reopen it. Whatever we're dealing with here ... I think it needs to stay buried.

Eh, I'm sure it's fine. What could possibly go wrong? (Everything, I hope Lexx survives actually (I have a hard time coming up with names))
At the end of the game, the Queen and the Pawn are put in the same box.

Dark Ambition

Previous
Quote from: GoodMorning on September 02, 2017, 07:59:30 AM
(OOC: Theory two. As previous)

This appears to be a technological creation, but has no obvious external system access. The surface metal deposits appear to be of very high density, to the point that mire cannot adhere to them. The lack of detectable shockwaves or other vibrations in the structure following the explosion in contact with it indicates either exceedingly high density throughout the structure (although such construction seems infeasible); or some kind of internal inertia distribution technology, which may double as a power converter.

However, such a system will likely have automated responses to some set of triggers. A review of the immediate area suggests that the recent flare which resulted in detection of this anomaly has dislodged an accretion of various materials. Analysis of this debris field indicates that the "flare" followed an large impact from something metallic - possibly an orbiting station disturbed by the wanderer planet in the outer system. If we can recover the debris, it may tell us more.

(OOC: What odds that a wanderer planet just happens to pass through? Or that this is the first time this anomaly has been discovered? Was that actually a former research station, with no more knowledge or a command and docking vessel?)

QuoteWhat odds that a wanderer planet just happens to pass through?

Very unlikely. The sector seems to be completely devoid of any planets. A simple scan shows why. Massive amounts of planetary debris can be detected throughout the sector, an untold number of planets were brought here and then deconstructed for either defence, or materials. If a planet did happen to drift in, Progenitor AI's would immediately get to work on detonating the whole thing, and arranging its remnants into a defendable lattice.

QuoteOr that this is the first time this anomaly has been discovered?

This is the first time it has been discovered. Progenitor Locus himself made sure of it.

QuoteWas that actually a former research station, with no more knowledge or a command and docking vessel?

It was a research station set up by Lexx Abara to try and drill into the anomaly, and find out more about it.
[close]

Unit 3400: You have a Lathe. I need a Lathe. Construction packets do not suffice my requirements.

You have two choices. Give me your Lathe, and walk away. Or I pry it from your dead hands. Choose.

GoodMorning

OOC: DA, that theory referred to an impactor: some form of space station, quite distinct from the self-destruct mechanism. That being said, I seem to have thrown in a number of elements inconsistent with your planned plot, so let's ignore that theory and write off something as faulty scanners or "that's no planet..."
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Spaartan

Quote from: Dark Ambition on September 02, 2017, 08:58:47 AM
You have two choices. Give me your Lathe, and walk away. Or I pry it from your dead hands. Choose.

Engineer: Contact Lexx, we have to get reinforcements as soon as possible. Never give those toasters anything. Get as far away from them that we can.

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: Spaartan on September 02, 2017, 10:51:53 AM
Quote from: Dark Ambition on September 02, 2017, 08:58:47 AM

Engineer: Contact Lexx, we have to get reinforcements as soon as possible. Never give those toasters anything. Get as far away from them that we can.

Unit 3400: Foolish organics.

----ALERT! AIRLOCK CONTROL OVERRIDE DETECTED!----

Unit 3400: You have a lot of air on that ship. Let me get rid of it for you.
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

GoodMorning

(OOC: An engineer did not design that ship if the airlock can be opened on both sides merely with a control system command.)

Dark Ambition

Quote from: GoodMorning on September 02, 2017, 06:51:12 PM
(OOC: An engineer did not design that ship if the airlock can be opened on both sides merely with a control system command.)
Half of that ship uses Hydraxil Collective technology, and a supercomputer can easily worm it's way into a ship's control systems, especially if it already knows how it works. It wasn't just the airlock 3400 had access to. He didn't really override the control systems, because he had full access to the whole thing. It was his ship now, the ship went from red to gray, and the pilot had no control over it.

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: Dark Ambition on September 02, 2017, 07:59:48 PM
Quote from: GoodMorning on September 02, 2017, 06:51:12 PM
Half of that ship uses Hydraxil Collective technology, and a supercomputer can easily worm it's way into a ship's control systems, especially if it already knows how it works. It wasn't just the airlock 3400 had access to. He didn't really override the control systems, because he had full access to the whole thing. It was his ship now, and the pilot had no control over it.
Looks like that partnership between the Renegades and the Collective is really paying off now. XD
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

GoodMorning

OOC: Agreed, but my point was that the airlock would surely have a system in place whereby each door would be held in place on the frame by a pressure differential, so that digital commands could not open it. There are other methods of takeover, but opening airlocks is not a good example. Still, this is interrupting the narrative, so let's leave it there - with an apology for this block in the middle of the thread.

Dark Ambition

Quote from: GoodMorning on September 02, 2017, 08:14:16 PM
Agreed, but my point was that the airlock would surely have a system in place whereby each door would be held in place on the frame by a pressure differential, so that digital commands could not open it. There are other methods of takeover, but opening airlocks is not a good example.

Personally, I wasn't going to go into it, I was just gonna have the pilot go silent, implying he was dead, but never confirming, but Dec took over before I could :P

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: Dark Ambition on September 02, 2017, 08:33:30 PM
Quote from: GoodMorning on September 02, 2017, 08:14:16 PM
Agreed, but my point was that the airlock would surely have a system in place whereby each door would be held in place on the frame by a pressure differential, so that digital commands could not open it. There are other methods of takeover, but opening airlocks is not a good example.

Personally, I wasn't going to go into it, I was just gonna have the pilot go silent, implying he was dead, but never confirming, but Dec took over before I could :P

Does it really matter? I don't think going into the logical engineering of small plot devices like this would make for a very interesting story. :/

Dark Ambition

Quote from: Keeper Decagon on September 02, 2017, 08:43:33 PM
Does it really matter? I don't think going into the logical engineering of small plot devices like this would make for a very interesting story. :/
Agreed. I'd much rather hear more people's theories on the Casket :P

GoodMorning

(OOC: Theory three)

Readings from the anomaly are consistent with a secret research project to create forcefields behaving as ultradense armour. This indicates that the anomaly may not be a solid object at all, but projected by some kind of internal mechanism. This technology, deployable on such a scale, will be invaluable if we can use it. Apart from anything else, it would create an almost indestructible fortress.

Experiments suggest that an flaw of some kind is necessary to prevent gravitational collapse. Therefore the entire surface of this object must be mapped.

Spaartan

If the Hydraxil Collective is able to control anything, it should be limited to my outdated ones. Those are the only ones that have the older, more connected to Hydraxil technology.

GoodMorning

"Where there is code, there are bugs."

3400 has a lot of resources, and code is it's native environment.