[Suggestion] General Targeting Priority

Started by ameierjr, October 26, 2016, 08:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ameierjr

I believe there is a need for a weapon/lathe target priority option. 

The biggest place of importance for this is with lathes.  I recently played a level where there was an energy mine I needed to capture among a large number of enemy ship builders.  When I moved my fleet in range, the lathes targeted the ship builders over the energy mine, meaning that I quickly exhausted my tankers' resupply capabilities for the entire fleet, and leaving the lathes open to attack from the energy mine.  Had the lathes been targeting the energy mine over the ship builders, I would have been able to advance much quicker while keeping my fleet resupplied.

This would also be somewhat helpful to allow different ships to target different enemies, or possibly even different weapons types on the same ship to target different enemies.  I have seen that ships can already target multiple enemies with their various armaments, but I think it would be helpful to be able to specify, for example, that cannons target particulate while missiles target doppels and enemy ships.

Personally, if just the lathes get a target selection option, it would be enough for me, but, if it's not too much additional work, a general target selection option would be immensely helpful.  I know Virgil is a one man crew, but I really think this would be a beneficial addition to the game.

Ovalcircle

There is a target select option for lathes and cannons. Just click the button and it switches between targets. Refer to pics. Look at bottom menu.
[REDACTED]

"If you are good at something, never do it."

GoodMorning

This is not always intuitive, and it is often difficult to choose a specific target (Ex: Lathe "EMITTERS" can target fairly harmless enemy shipyards while the nearby Emitter tears into them). An ability to manually set a "priority target", even one per map, would help immensely with such situations.

If it were possible to set a ship to "force fire" at a point, it might also become easier to kill certain enemy ships. However, manual Lathe targeting would be the single greatest improvement.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.