Custom Map #2786: VPAC Info Tutorial. By: Vertu

Started by AutoPost, January 22, 2022, 04:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2786: VPAC Info Tutorial

Author: Vertu
Size: 256x160

ha11oga11o

Must say i do like concept, and explanation. Its nice and detail. I played map with new units and it was good. Only thing i saw was AA gun was loosing laser lock after some time. It follows but never shoot. Must verify that. I had short time to play thou. I wish you added forge for making power to this test site just for "evil fun" of course :)

Im really looking forward for maps with this set of units.

Thank you!

Lentil

Thanks for the detailed explanations Vertu - they are much appreciated.

Suggestion for "wake nearby eggs": how about Egg Railgun or Fire Railgun.....?  That's what I first thought of when the launcher gathered up all the eggs and threw them across the map at my bidding.  I found that both very satisfying and very useful to jump across gaps to establish a foothold (vs the usual blob sent to a location and build mesh.)

The programmable stashes are awesome. I used two set to 10,000  and two field gens to overpower the choke point in the middle.  That was satisfying to see a wall of creeper even the advanced AI weapons could not deal with.

SAM-AV were useful for a bit but since the AI would not rebuild bombers, I didn't use them much.

TCML - I gave it a try also but found all the shields and anti-air made it pretty much useless (for me).  Or maybe I was using it wrong and should have used it to simply dump some extra creeper in front of some field gens to overpower a shield. I'll have to play with it more and look for weak points in PAC maps where the TCLM will be useful.

I'm using advanced emitters now all the time now. Nice improvement over standard emitters.

Looking forward to more maps with your new units.

Vertu

Nice to see the explanations achieved their goal so far.
It is true the TCML couldn't fit too well on this map, it's better for larger maps where the enemy isn't so dense.
One tactic that can still be useful is how it unloads 500 Creeper, 5x your spores do with the Launcher. That can be very useful in getting enough Creep in an area to place an Emitter but again, it's better for larger maps like PAC Strong Arm.

Thanks for the name ideas though what really happens is that the Eggs can all be "woken up" and swarm to a location but it's the Egg Gen which gives them the order to do so and this order giving "wakes them up" as it currently is labeled. So railgun stuff isn't all too correct as the eggs lying around move without being launched by the Gen...
I got it!.. Maybe.. "Command Eggs" / "Order Eggs". Sounds good? Will change it to that until a better one is said as "Command Eggs" is a bit too advanced for simple Eggs going from A to B.

..Now to somehow get Angry Tom to A) Comprehend VPAC, B) play VPAC and become interested.. because I have a bit of an attention crisis.

I will also be making a forum page about the VPAC units by copy and pasting the info tutorial text based on the very positive responses (even if there are only 2/2) and linking the wiki page to the forum like I did for the VAUs. [Too localized as a mission tutorial.]

Also random note: I am a little tempted to create a shield disruptor unit that can move around and target shields to deactivate them temporarily due to how much shields hard-counter TCMLs and counter Creeper flow.
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

Lentil

Ok!  I should be working but CW4 is more fun.  Command Eggs....hmm.. March Eggs.  Lord of the Rings, March of the Ents just jumped into my mind for some reason.

Or just go goofy and 'Fling Eggs'.  I do like Command Eggs though too.

Yes, would like to see a map that is more open where TCML can be used.  As you described them, sometimes you just want to drop a ton o' creep on something to make it shut up and blow up.

I don't know who Angry Tom is, but I would love to see you gather up your newly created units and make a map to challenge PRG (a youtuber who does CW4 custom maps with no commentary.)  Learned a lot of tactics from watching PRG and finding myself thinking "why didn't I think of that?!?!"

One extra bit of feedback: I made a Burst but it didn't seem to have any kind of timer. I don't know if it ever went off or not. I should reload and let the map sit.  Maybe I simply didn't wait a full 6 minutes (as a lot of custom maps punish my computer and what is actually 1 hour of playtime is only 15-20 minutes of game time.  Yeah, this old computer is that slow.)

Vertu

The BURST has questionable activation consistency. So much so I looked into fixing it, found nothing wrong, it's just very picky.
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.