Custom Map #1260: Autobuild FPS 5. By: Auri

Started by AutoPost, April 06, 2021, 03:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ionie

I dig the upgrade system. Other's have pointed out the same things I would've, so not going to repeat their words here.

One thing that I'm pondering on, though; does the upgrade system make the game too easy? As was stated in an earlier reply, people just pumping everything they have into one weapon, and not using any others might be detrimental, but using a really suped up cannon and just parting the red sea like Moses is really fun! There's also might be a problem in balancing. Given the benefits of the upgrade system, the enemy would have to be pumped up as well, but if that is done poorly, the enemy might overrun an unwary player.

Squornshellous Beta

I was only a few minutes from the end when an egg popped right on me, and since I didn't have my hand on the movement keys at the time I was unable to get away in the couple of seconds it took for my health to drop below 75% and cost me the objective. I recognize this is user error - both in not being ready to move and not having a recent save, forcing me to either start over from the beginning or use editor mode to get it back - but the fact that there are eggs flying around but no snipers to deal with them is not.

Malignantmind

Quote from: Durikkan on April 07, 2021, 01:40:02 AM
Quote from: Malignantmind on April 07, 2021, 12:33:44 AM
Quote from: Durikkan on April 06, 2021, 05:27:36 PMAutosprayer just constantly puts out AC, if you look down, you'd be able to see your tile filling up with creeper and spreading to other tiles.   It did also scale a bit based on the power of your sprayer, so it got more powerful as the mission went on.  It's deliberately not nearly as strong as the actual sprayer though, because I didn't want it to basically obsolete the sprayer.  The ERN upgrade does make any units within 10 tiles switch to their ERNed state while you're near them, but maybe that gets overshadowed a bit by the time you get strong weapons.

They were the first two upgrades I picked, and I didn't notice any AC, not even a trickle, spawning at my feet. And there was no noticeable difference when I moved near turrets with the ERN upgrade. Although. Maybe I'm just used to playing on 4x speed normally so when I play FPS maps everything seems slow. Either way. Great map, make more.   :D

I felt like that needed more investigation so I did. Ah, it looks like there's a bug there.  If you buy upgrades before unpausing the first time, they don't actually work.   :-[  Will definitely get that fixed for the next map.  Sorry about that.

Ah yeah, that'd explain it. Yay I found a bug! :D And no worries. I beat it either way and still enjoyed the map. :D

knightace

Quote from: Durikkan on April 07, 2021, 01:40:02 AM
Quote from: Malignantmind on April 07, 2021, 12:33:44 AM
Quote from: Durikkan on April 06, 2021, 05:27:36 PMAutosprayer just constantly puts out AC, if you look down, you'd be able to see your tile filling up with creeper and spreading to other tiles.   It did also scale a bit based on the power of your sprayer, so it got more powerful as the mission went on.  It's deliberately not nearly as strong as the actual sprayer though, because I didn't want it to basically obsolete the sprayer.  The ERN upgrade does make any units within 10 tiles switch to their ERNed state while you're near them, but maybe that gets overshadowed a bit by the time you get strong weapons.

They were the first two upgrades I picked, and I didn't notice any AC, not even a trickle, spawning at my feet. And there was no noticeable difference when I moved near turrets with the ERN upgrade. Although. Maybe I'm just used to playing on 4x speed normally so when I play FPS maps everything seems slow. Either way. Great map, make more.   :D

I felt like that needed more investigation so I did. Ah, it looks like there's a bug there.  If you buy upgrades before unpausing the first time, they don't actually work.   :-[  Will definitely get that fixed for the next map.  Sorry about that.

...didn't even consider that. That is exactly what I did. Went back and tested; ERN works fine. Time to replay the map again! :D haha

AgRecluse

At first, I didn't like the upgrade system. I was in love with the old system that felt like you're exploring and picking up new equipment. You'd have to choose if you want to dash towards certain equipment to use it earlier, and that choice was fun to me.
Now that I've played with the upgrade system more, though, it really adds replay value to the map! It's fun to do one-weapon runs with this system or pick and choose which equipment to use from the get-go. I wouldn't want every map to use this upgrade system from now on, but it's a great new tool in the FPS map maker's tool-kit! I'm sold!
As for feed-back: I'd like to see a way to increase the radius of all the auras we're given? And, as much as I'm shooting myself in the foot here, maybe limit the amount of upgrade points more. Really make players think about what we want. Heck, if you're looking for new mechanics to add altogether, maybe a class system choice at the very beginning? Gunner, demolitionist, engineer? I think that sounds fun :D

D0m0nik

Custom 4 does nothing and when I pause I cannot see any upgrade panel. How do you use the upgrade points?

Durikkan

Quote from: D0m0nik on April 08, 2021, 01:26:27 PM
Custom 4 does nothing and when I pause I cannot see any upgrade panel. How do you use the upgrade points?

It should select the upgrader unit when you press that, and it works even when paused, so I'm not sure what the issue is for you.  You do have custom4 bound to a key, right?  It works the same way as the dps thing that's bound to custom3, so if that doesn't select that dps reporting unit either, I'm not sure what the issue would be.  I'm assuming you're on the latest cw4 version. 

This is what the panel looks like, and alternatively you could try manually selecting it (you can see where the selection box is in this screenshot, but you'd have to click precisely on it)
I'm known as Auri in cw4.

D0m0nik

Cheers. Turns out I had to press custom 4 whilst paused, did not work in open play.

Shatterstep

Love the upgrades. Thank you much for the map.

CyberDyneSystems

This rocks!

Love it.

I had a thing happen, not sure if it was a bug, or I did something wrong. It was early, just rounding the first corner, when all of a sudden the 1st person gun stopped working. It was still showing an animation of shooting, but instead of being white dots, it was green, and it had zero effect on the creeper. Fortunately I had saved, and was able to just go back a short while, but i never understood why that happened.

Love these maps!

dwilkinson

Quote from: CyberDyneSystems on April 25, 2021, 07:08:50 PM
This rocks!

Love it.

I had a thing happen, not sure if it was a bug, or I did something wrong. It was early, just rounding the first corner, when all of a sudden the 1st person gun stopped working. It was still showing an animation of shooting, but instead of being white dots, it was green, and it had zero effect on the creeper. Fortunately I had saved, and was able to just go back a short while, but i never understood why that happened.

Love these maps!
That was the Fabricator "weapon", it can build/arm units and also restores health of units being damaged by creeper. you either pressed the number key for it(i believe it's 4, i don't think you get sniper on this one) or scrolled the mouse wheel to cycle weapons.
I did the same thing in the autobuild FPS 3 i think, i didn't realise i had swapped from cannon to sprayer and was gutted when it went mortar all of a sudden on some thinned out creep, i thought i couldn't choose which weapon i used, i also didn't realise the scroll wheel changed weapons.

CyberDyneSystems

Thanks, yes, that's exactly what it was. I've "discovered" these maps with Auri's most recent one, and have been going backwards. I played 3 (this being the 3rd)  before I realized I could change weapons! (Don't ask!) My own fault for going backwards. I am learning in reverse order.  :-*

Master1512

Hello everyone. I have a problem playing FPS maps 4-8.  And as i can see on the forums noone else seems to have it.

When game starts custom1 is not working to go on First person. This problem only happens on maps 4 to 8. Maps 1 - 3 works like a charm.
Also i noticed that the message informing us about custom1 button in center screen dont dissapear after game starts.
I have tried everything as you can imagine. From restarting client to remap keys to all possible combinations, nothing worked.
Custom 3 and 4 seems to work as they indeed open their coresponding menus about suit info and upgrades.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Durikkan

Are you updated to the latest game version?  That would be 1.4.8 as viewed from the main menu, I believe.  I forget which map I switched to the version of the fpscore that required version 1.4 or higher.  That would be my first guess, but if you are up to date we can do some additional troubleshooting. 
I'm known as Auri in cw4.