Started by AutoPost, March 14, 2021, 08:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1025: Autobuild FPS 3

Author: Auri
Size: 256x160

Shatterstep

Ionie

I dig the FPS maps, yeah, but I prefer the boots-on-the-ground -approach to it. Controls were OK in this version as well, but we've been looking at the game from top-down for so long the boots-on-the-ground -approach feels better.

Also, the mortar feels very lackluster for some reason. The cannon just goes BRRRRRR and destroys everything in it's wake. It's like the mortar would need a LOT deeper creeper for it to shine, maybe?

chaotea

Quote from: Ionie on March 15, 2021, 04:49:43 AM
Also, the mortar feels very lackluster for some reason. The cannon just goes BRRRRRR and destroys everything in it's wake. It's like the mortar would need a LOT deeper creeper for it to shine, maybe?

Yep, thats the purpose for morter. Its best vs massive stacks of creeper, great vs waves in the distance.

helmetflakes

Great level, thanks for making these, TBH they're much better than the original game! I quire liked the "flying" version for a change. Makes the level a bit too easy maybe and the weapons were quite OP by the final island. Can't wait for the next one.

Qople

The only feedback I'd give is the controls. The idea is good, but somehow the controls don't work the same in this map. You can leave the map, but it messes with movement in odd ways, and strafing is way slower than the forward movement. Shift doesn't do anything, and the momentum of the camera is way too "floaty" for my liking.

With that out of the way, the idea of the more traditional top-down camera with the first person controls is interesting. I think the balance in this level was ultimately fine; there's more leeway than people might think to make a "balanced" FPS level. It more affects the length than anything else. If anything, I like the feel of the "orbital bombardment" when your weapons are a bit more powerful with this view.

Durikkan

Yeah, will probably switch back to ground for the next map, but may bring this back on occasion.  Theoretically it could even work with switching between the two, but that would need some careful balancing.

The shift mode would be slow enough it would get caught by the slightly aggressive 'rapidly kill your speed if you're less than a certain speed' thing I put in to avoid too much slow drifting.

The leaving the map is because that felt slightly more natural to me than just running into a hard edge and stopping, but I would probably change that around a bit if I revisit the flying mode. 
I'm known as Auri in cw4.

flamewolf393

Hmm, your maps dont show up when searching for fps tags or title... any idea why?

Durikkan

I am Auri, but I happen to use a different name here than in game, due to this account being older.  Sorry for the confusion. 
I'm known as Auri in cw4.

dwilkinson

Right, i'm 5 minutes in and far prefer the controls. Loved autobuild FPS 2, and this is that with a jetpack. i love it :)

Ranger Von Danger

I really tried to enjoy this map and I do appreciate the work you put into making it. I just felt frustrated the entire time because every time I would progress in an area, the other areas would get destroyed and it was a neverending cycle. if the rate of fire were a bit better or the AI weapons would hold the ground I reclaimed it would have been a much better level. thanks, cheers

dgacen

The first part was definitely a challenge! Gaining any kind of ground was difficult at first, but I learned some things about the map that helped me. Once I started gaining ground it became much easier. I was hoping that the other "sections" would prove to be challenging in the same or different ways, but once it got rolling and all the boosts started coming in, it was too easy. Maybe putting caps on the amount of boosts so that it stays balanced would be helpful? 2000% boosts makes for quick work of creeper though.

Dismissdan

Wish more people did this "third person" type of FPS. The only map I know of that has this. My only feedback is that the camera "floats" after you stop navigating. And it gets way easy with the upgrades about halfway through.

Fabio pen

This map is so much fun! Thank you !

But it's easy... but really fun! I loved it