Custom Map #181: Mountain Pass. By: JoaoPistori

Started by AutoPost, December 13, 2020, 10:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #181: Mountain Pass

Author: JoaoPistori
Size: 256x160

JoaoPistori

I forgot to mention it on A.D.A log, but the crimson volcanoes activate at 11:30.

The map has three stages:
Stage 1 - "Expansion rush";
Stage 2 - Dominating the islands peak of the mountains and lowering the Creeper;
Stage 3 - Dealing with the crimson.

This may change depending on your strategy.

Well, this is not an easy map, or at least wasn't meant to be. My idea was to give a challenge of early-rush, followed-up by a challenge of quick domination, and, if everything went well (and fast), the challenge to deal against a (possible) overwhelming force (two words: Purple avalanche :P).

D0m0nik

Has me well beat! I don't think I have my head round this game yet, I am not even close to getting a foothold on this map.

D0m0nik

Any tips?

Got 6 orbitals, wondering if two converts would be enough to remotely take one of the evil emitters with a porter?

JoaoPistori

A 100% granted win against one of those emitters would cost 12 orbitals: Two singularity+converter combos. A single combo of singularity+converter won't be enough to build a nullifier, but it can help a lot for advancing units.
Spoiler
Also, don't forget to send snipers to pop eggs before using those orbitals.
[close]

However, that would be a looooong waiting time, and my idea was to slowly advance with units, that's why I only left a single Greenar Mother crystal.
Key hint:
Spoiler
Energy-based weapons deal much less damage vs crimson Creeper, but AC fights it 1:1. Use shields and mortars to hold the front line while you mass bomb the volcanoes with AC bombers.
Whether you choose to bomb all the 3 volcanoes or focus on just one, is up to you. I think it's faster if you bomb a bit all the 3 volcanoes to advance with your ground units and once you're near the volcanoes, focus on bombing a single one.
[close]

Another hint:
Spoiler
For this stage of the game, spending your ENRs on miners will help a lot massing units to hold the front line. When I was playing it, I spent 4 ERNs on the ERN portal for energy collection and weapon range+fire rate, and the rest just on miners (seems that an ERN-powered miner allows you to kill more Creeper than an ENR-powered mortar, for example). For earlier stages, pylons with ERNs allow you to connect most islands mountains. Once you have the low-ground connected, and/or microrifts, ERN-powered pylons won't be necessary anymore.
[close]

D0m0nik

Cheers fro the tips, I had no idea you could boost pylons!

Interesting, how many bombers did you use?

JoaoPistori

Quote from: D0m0nik on December 15, 2020, 02:39:00 PM
Cheers fro the tips, I had no idea you could boost pylons!

Interesting, how many bombers did you use?

I don't remember exactly, but it was just one runway. I filled it with AC bombers and was deactivating some of them if I hadn't enough supply. That's because I also had some sprayers helping some areas of the front-line. However, all my miners were set to energy production (it was something like 130 production vs 127 consumption). If you're able to set some ERN-powered miners to produce bluite, certainly you can use a second runway with lots of bombers.

D0m0nik

Got there in the end. 35 minute time, spent about 10 hours on it!

I love your big CW maps, this was pretty epic as well.

I found a way to get an edge:

Spoiler
I was able to nulify 2 volcanoes by the 10 min mark and put snipers and anti air on the rims all supplied by porters. I think it may be possible to do all 3 whilst taking the top left high ground but I ran out of patience and was happy with 2!
[close]

JoaoPistori

Good job! I think this is my hardest map so far. I don't have much time to play or edit (I spent more than 3 days to make this map :P) but I'll try to upload more maps like this one soon.